Mineral Spirits for Air Filters

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I've came across this before in a few other posts. I had a blast today riding but the dust killed me, I swallowed a good pound of it lol. The parts of my face not covered by goggles or helmet were a nasty combination of two-stroke smoke and dust lol, you gotta love it. Anyway I better clean the filter after that and put the stock one bike in in the mean time. Usually I used gasoline put I don't have much (other than the premium for my bike lol) but I do have mineral spirits and from what I've heard, it does the job. I'll probably get to it tomorrow so I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks again.

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
I've been using mineral spirits to clean my filters for a long time with good results. It's good stuff.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Mineral spirits works fine to break down the oil, it's what I use. Then just wash it in soapy water to get the dirt out.

Don't use gasoline to clean the filter. It deteriorates the foam.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
That's what I thought. I'm going to go with the spirits, then a nice soak down.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
"Soak" with the solvent, then WASH. No need for further soaking.
If you really did a good search you wouldn't ask this.

YZ326

Mar 5, 2001
I would not use anything but a kerosene based solvent. Gas and mineral spirits will eat the glue and break down the seams. You will get longer life out of the filter if you use a kerosene based solvent.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by YZ326 :
"Gas and mineral spirits will eat the glue and break down the seams. You will get longer life out of the filter if you use a kerosene based solvent. "

So it will last 30 instead of merely 20 years???? :confused:

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
LOL, sorry. I figured mineral spirits couldn't be much more harsh than kerosene, and up til now I was using gas, as a lot of people do.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…