Mini Hi handlebars on KX100 or KX80??

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Help!! please.  :eek:

Has anyone put a set of taller handlebars on a kx100 (or kx80)?  I am in the process of putting on a set of Renthal #757 (mini-hi) bars on my wifes kx100 and have run into the problem where i need more cable length for the clutch cable and throttle cable.  The stockers just will not cut it. :(

Has anyone been through this?  If so what cables did you end up using to solve the problem?

Thanks.

JimK

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
I've got an '02 kx 100 and I put a set of Tag Mini Works X5 bars on and had no problems with a lack of cable. Maybe check that all the cables are free and not bunched up, like under the seat and tank.
Good luck!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Cool - I'd be interested in hearing more about this from any KX80-100 owners as well. I might pick up a 2001 KX 100 Saturday with stock bars (mainly to ride at DW). Since I'm 5'5" I think I'd be more comfy with taller bars. I was thinking Tag X5's Mini Works as well but didn't wanna run into the cable problems. Does anyone run full size bars on your 80's/100's?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Ryno149
I've got an '02 kx 100 and I put a set of Tag Mini Works X5 bars on and had no problems with a lack of cable. Maybe check that all the cables are free and not bunched up, like under the seat and tank.
Good luck!

The Renthal 757-02 mini hi's (132mm height, 797 width) are taller than the Tag Mini Works X5 bars (118 height, 740 width).

The cables are all routed correctly according to the manual.  I put them on myself after powder-coating the frame.  I even compared it to some bikes on the showroom floor to verify that i ran the cables correctly because i was having an issue with the throttle running up when i'd turn the bars.

Nikki - Wendy's 5'4" - stock bars are just a little cramped.  The mini hi's look like they'll be great once i get the cable thing straightened out.  I put the same bars on her tt-r125L a couple years ago and had no issues.

Motogrl307

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2001
We used to run the mini high bars on my kx 100 we used a brake line off a kx125 and rerouted the clutch cable on the other side of the steering column.
I now run Tag fatbars for a KX125 cut down 1in off each side. I also have the Tag triple clamps which move the bars forward quite abit. I'm 5ft4in and have no problem with this setup. I like the lower bars set forward more than the high bars it makes it easier to get over the front of the bike.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Motogrl307
We used to run the mini high bars on my kx 100 we used a brake line off a kx125 and rerouted the clutch cable on the other side of the steering column.
I now run Tag fatbars for a KX125 cut down 1in off each side. I also have the Tag triple clamps which move the bars forward quite abit. I'm 5ft4in and have no problem with this setup. I like the lower bars set forward more than the high bars it makes it easier to get over the front of the bike.

Motogrl307 - Thanks for the info.  I ended up using a kx125 clutch cable and changed the routing on the brake line.  I will look into the kx125 brake line or just get a custom one made.  First thing is to see how this set-up works ergonomically for Wendy (she's 5'4" too).

dhunt

Nov 22, 2002
I am trying to find out any info on this post. KX 100 with taller and wider bars. Where do you get throttle cables and front brake cables about an 1" longer. Thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I don't think the dimensions are different on the KX100 than the 80 but on my son's KX80 we were able to re-route the throttle cable to give it enough length to stop it from revving if turned to the bar stop in one direction. We never had issue with the length of the clutch cable with these bars.

Top Bottom