Mini-KDX

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
Yet another lowering question :p

I did the dogbones when I first purchased the bike. It worked good and I could touch tippy toes. I pretty much lived with it for 2 years and didn't think much of it.

But lately I've been wanting to go lower. I stand a towering 5'1" tall won't be growing any time soon :p

I set the sag as low as it wold go the other day which brought the bike down to the perfect height. Except for one problem, the spring is too short. It sits fine with the bike on the ground and hasn't bottomed out on me yet. But when I have to lift the bike up, etc... I now have to lift the bike an extra 5" or so.

My idea is to get some aircraft cable and put two cables which stop the rear from sagging all the way down when I lift the bike. I don't race and I ride all trails. I prefer to keep both wheels on the ground when possible.

Will this work?

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
JasonWho said:
Maybe you could speak with someone at MX-Tech or similar about getting the suspension shortend.

it's possible, but money isn't really on my side :p

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000

I've got the height where I want it. I just don't like the fact that when I pick the bike up, I still have to pick it up to the height of the bike before I lowered it. I need to pick up about 5-6" of slack before the back wheel comes off the ground.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
consider, before you do that, that you will have a lot of repetative stress on whatever you would use to 'tie down' your suspension... everytime the suspension tops out it will slam on whatever straps or whatnot you have holding it.... (every jump, every hill crest, every big bump)

make sure it would handle that too, not just hold it down when you lift the bike (unless you intend to only use it for loading your bike)

rdrash2

Aug 11, 2004
crazymike said:
Yet another lowering question :p

But lately I've been wanting to go lower. I stand a towering 5'1" tall won't be growing any time soon :)

Another short guy. :laugh: I'm a towering 5'2" I tried to PM you but I don't have permision to do that. I was looking at getting the KDX 200 or 220. How do you like the bike for our short legs?

Sorry about getting off topic

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Mike,

Set your sag for your riding weight, not your inseam. If your suspension is too soft, you will have some promlems with handling and bottoming.

Have you tried to cut down the seat? Addidtionally, since you have lowered the suspension via the dog bones, have you raised the forks in the clamps?

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
rdrash2 said:
Another short guy. :laugh: I'm a towering 5'2" I tried to PM you but I don't have permision to do that. I was looking at getting the KDX 200 or 220. How do you like the bike for our short legs?

Sorry about getting off topic

I think it's a great bike. I'm not a pro rider or anything, I ride strictly for fun. I grew up riding bikes like my 79 DS 80, then on to an RT100. So it's not like I've been spoiled by awsome handling bikes.

The bike wasn't designed to be that low, so it probably doesn't handle as good as stock. But I've put on 1-2000s KMs easy without problems.

I finally dropped the sag the other day all the way down the bike is at perfect ride height. I can flat foot both sides now. I did a 100km loop of the corduroy enduro race trails which is some of the toughest trails you can find. I didn't bottom out once, and never had issues with control.

Do the dogbones and triple clamps first. I believe you can buy them now, I just had mine made at my dealers machine shop.

I don't ride thru the trails at 60km/h very often. I have to make it to work the next day with all my limbs attached and functioning or I'm out of a job.

I say do whatever is right for you. The bike is great for short riders. My dad has a Wr250 and he's only about 5'6" and the bike is a bit high for him. But he has the sag all the way down and it's still a bit tall. But he has yet to bottom out or have control issues.

Basicaly if you plan on keeping the bike for a while, get the KDX. It's awsome power and short people friendly. Maybe some day I will spend money and get the rear shocks done properly, but for now I'm just having fun.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
crazymike said:
the bike is at perfect ride height. I can flat foot both sides now.

hmmmmm, I don't think I would call that the perfect ride height. most riders that I know ride a machine that they can touch with the ball or tippy toes on both sides. Unelss you're on a street bike flat footed generaly means your bike is too short for you. It should not sit at streetbike heights for several reasons. You go over much rougher terrain, the bike is designed to use MUCH more suspension, it is lighter (therefore you don't need as much to hold it up at a stop should it tip slightly).... starts is the only real drawback to not being flatfooted, and that can be overcome with knowledge and experience.

Obviously you should ride what is most comfortable to you, but you may want to take a look at bringing it up a little bit from where you're at. Maybe move it up a little at a time as you get comfortable with it?

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000

I rode it higher for the last 2 years. I could just tippy toe barely on both sides. Even at the lowest sag the bike has plenty of clearance and I don't get hung up.

When I rode motocross I liked a bigger bike, but I I didn't have to spend much time touching the ground.

The trails I ride now range from ATV and fire roads to super expert class enduro technicaly sections. The ability to put both feet firmly on the ground is an asset in some of these trails.

When I had the bike higher and got into a rough spot I ended up twisting muscles or dropping the bike.

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
I stand at six feet and one inch. On my 220, sitting down, my feet are flat and my knees are slightly bent! I know at 150lbs I am not putting that much pressure on the rear end. I feel very comfortable riding it, my bars are leaned way forward and it fits me pretty well ( I got monkey arms ). Would my riding performance increase if the bike sat higher off of the ground? I think it is fine the way it is, BUT, I am a rookie, and I am here to learn! :yeehaw: :laugh:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Has anyone ever tried lacing up smaller rims to the hubs to lower the height? Maybe a 16 or 17" rear rim and a 19" front? RV6junkie's suggestion of cutting the seat foam sounds like a great idea if you haven't tried that yet. JasonWho is correct. You need to keep your suspension adjusted for your ride weight, not your height. There are several reasons for doing this.
BTW I have my stock seat foam sitting around here. If you cut your foam and don't like it, let me know and I'll send you mine since it is just gathering dust anyway.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…