Mini parents? Ha!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You always hear about the crazed parents on the sidelines.....
Well I've experienced it! My son plays competitive soccer and we travel around a good portion of the middle of Texas for games so we get to experience all sorts of “interesting” interpretations of what the rules are and how obviously bias the refs calling a game can be but this one takes the cake! There is a team in our district that has a couple of players that as their coach and manager have told us “...have serious anger management problems, but we're working on it.”. We've dealt with the issues by playing the team and accepting some level of dirty play. In one game t#3 (most angry boy) totally laid out a player when the ball was on the other side of the field, he was red carded as he already had a yellow card for tripping. His mother AND sister of course were on the side line all this time goading the boy on to do these actions as well as “Kill him!, Kick him!...” so you can imagine how delighted they were LOL! They were then shown a red card and asked to leave the site with their player. The next game my son is playing this same boy and he stopped and held his back then started to play again, finally the ref caught on to what was going on and called the player for a verbal warning, he kept on with the antics until my son ended up elbowing the player in the face. After the game he showed me his back which was welted and bruised from being punched as he ran with the boy. Next time #17 (the other boy with anger issues) slid in with cleats up and caught our goalie just above the shin guards breaking his leg. He was applauded by his coach and a few of his team for his action (of course the ref “missed” this call even though the ball was right there in play.). Then the week of Dirt Week '05 the team played them again. This time the rabid mother was again in full frothy mouthed action telling her son all of the illegal things he should do which of course being a good son he did. I am told (since I was in Stillwater) that he had an especially obvious push from behind, in the box within 5 feet of the ref that wasn't called even though the player was carried off the field. Our coach called the ref on it and the rotund rabid woman went off on several of the parents on the sideline from our team. A couple parents from their team asked her to settle down and she then yelled at them... nice.

So now we go to their field this past Sunday for another game (we play them twice each year). Both of the boys (#3 & #7) were in full on anger mode after we scored in the first 3 minutes ( I later found out they had lost the day before to the weakest team in the league so I'm sure that didn't help their attitudes). Then at 24 minutes we scored again which set off both mother, daughter and son in a big way. After the ball was passed from our player to another team member about 15 yards away #3 decided to push our player from behind (of course) who was at full run sending him down without time to get his arms out and causing him to be carried from the field. Several of our parents called to the ref who again was less than 6 feet away from the incident and looking directly at it as it happened instead of where the ball was in play. As it turns out the ref “was not allowed” to make and calls as his mother was a linesperson who was telling him what to call! Oh and since she and the rabid mother & daughter we neighbors....

Well as the world turns, the injured boys parents went down to the filed since their son was obviously not getting up. This further enraged the mother, daughter AND linesperson/mother of the center ref! A bit of a yelling match ensued. One of our team parents felt the situation was going no place but bad so she called the sheriff to help diffuse the situation that seemed to be developing. As the game continued on for an extended period of time (we play 35 minute halves with no stoppage time but this one ran 43 minutes) the other teams parents moved away from the insano family and started calling to the ref that time was way past. At halftime the sheriff showed up and he was immediately attack verbally by both the linesperson/mom and the rabid mom & daughter combo. He informed them he would haul them all off if they continued their bickering so they settled down a little. He discussed the situation with both a small group of our parents as well at the other “vocal” members of the opposing team. He them went over an talked to the coaches and team managers. When he returned he informed our parents he now understood what was going on and thanked us for being polite and accommodating to work with and he would talk to the other group about their potential for a trip to the judge and he didn't want to return this day. After he left the group got rowdy once again and the majority of their team parents went over and told them to sit down & shut-up or leave LOL!

We then scored again and closed the game at 3 to 0. Since we won we were to be given the game roster and score card to send in to update our standings. The linesperson initially refused since her name was on the card but relented when our coach informed her she was being turned in to the governing body anyway as several of us knew her name without the cards. So the issue is now with the district offices, we hope they will do the appropriate thing and ban this mother and daughter from all future games since this is apparently an on going issue not only with our team. I believe the linesperson/mom and her son should be removed from officiating any games in the future and that the coach of the opposing team will be reprimanded or removed for reinforcing poor sportsmanship play with his team.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
LOL, life in suburban soccer.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Suburban? Who you callin' "suburban"?! :)

LOL Ivan! EXACTLY what I was thinking when it all was happening last time.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
It really amazes me just how insane parents get over a sport that their child is playing.

I think I'll add this to my list of "1000 Reasons to Never Have Children" under "Other Childrens Psycho Parents".

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
My son plays competitive travel soccer and we've seen the same ill behavior here in New Jersey (of all places, right). There are a few teams that have psychotic parents. The problem seems to be systemic, in that if you have one psychotic parent, you have a team full of ‘em. Must be some sort of licensing agreement.

We had one father pull a weapon out at us because he thought we scored an off-side goal, not a gun mind you, but a cannon. He threatened us with a friggin cannon! After the game he just couldn’t contain himself and had to fire the thing into the air. One of our team moms called the state police and the idiot was hauled away, with his cannon.

One of the best players on my son’s team is a girl. She is one of just a few girls in the entire league. We’ve seen parents taunt her, calling her hurtful names, during game play.

I’ve seen normal, quiet parents go off too.

I come from a family of Lacrosse players. My oldest brother was one of the top defensemen in the country in the ‘80’s. He earned the position of team captain at BC and played on many all-star teams.

Anyway, during a high school game he made a clean, but brutal hit to another player. The kid flipped through the air and landed hard. The game was stopped and an ambulance was called to help the seriously injured player. A mom from the other team just went out of her mind, yelling a tirade that lasted for minutes.

“Through him out of the game.” “Get that animal off the field.” “They ought to call the cops on that kid.” On and on she went.

Finally my mom, my quiet never-say-anything-unless-you-have-something-nice-to-say mom, says…no yells at the woman (who was sitting right in front of us) “Why don’t you sit on your umbrella and open it”

My brothers sat in quiet shock for a few seconds, and then fell over laughing. I don’t even remember the rest of the game.

Ah, I miss my mom.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
with all the problems I see from parents at kids athletic events I really forsee a day when Parents are not allowed to attend. I think that would be a great idea as the kids could still have fun just as long as some official does not win the We shouldn't keep score so as to break the losing teams spirits :| .

Too many parents never lived up to the hype they spew about their days as a high school star so they push thier kids to be all they never were

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Last weekend, I instructed my daughter to beat a girl up at a sporting event. And she did. If she didn't beat the girl up she would have lost, and that isn't good enough for her. I got the whole thing on tape, but haven't reviewed it yet. For those who think that I am a bad parent for this, it wasn't a soccer game, it was a TaeKwonDo tournament.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
oldguy said:
. . . the kids could still have fun just as long as some official does not win the We shouldn't keep score so as to break the losing teams spirits :|
As someone who's got kids in leagues where they've decided to not keep score (probably to keep the parents from knowing too much) I can tell you that the kids know who's winning.

Also, as a parent who knows that it's more fun to just watch and not really care as long as his kids have fun, it is entertaining to see those parents who do take it too serious and make fun of them.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Last year i voulunteered at a friends sons youth football games as a chain worker.. Its fun, get too hear the hits etc.. But i almost lost it w/one of the coaches of his team.. He jumps up, throws his hat too the ground and bumped into me, mind you i was 6'1 280 at the time and he was about 5'8 250.. I always had noticed him jumpin and yellin etc.. Figured it wouldnt of been good too clik him right on the sidelines.. SO basically after that, the kid paid little attention too him and just listened too his defensive coach.. I guess this guy is going too be the head coach this coming season..

Mini dads are everywhere, moms too :|

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
When my son played football ,we (parents) were given strict guidelines NOT to interfere w/ coaches, referee's and opposing team parents. Although many parents wanted to "yell" their frustrations at calls and comments that were made, our parents made the decision to abide by the rules and let the coaches handle the situations. I am relieved that our parents made these choices because it showed much more class. Don't get me wrong, we WANTED to scream at times however our coach who was a soft spoken man, got many calls overturned due to his calm demeanor. Also, I think the referees appreciated that more.

Aren't we supposed to set examples for our children?

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Patman,
A group of parents I know are now video taping the whole game AS WELL as the other teams parents and actions due to some outlandish and inappropriate behavior. 1 to show the governing body or 2 to have if someone gets really hurt for future legal action.

Some of the stuff the parents "tell" them to do(and they do like a robot) hurts kids and the parents *high five* for that crap... :yikes:

Something to think about...

Crazy4nitro

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
They should also send the video to one of those TV shows. Maybe public humiliation would enlighten these idiots.

Yeah, probably not. But since it is illegal to just shoot them on general principles, it's the best you can do.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Patman said:
In one game t#3 (most angry boy) totally laid out a player when the ball was on the other side of the field, he was red carded as he already had a yellow card for tripping. His mother AND sister of course were on the side line all this time goading the boy on to do these actions as well as “Kill him!, Kick him!...” so you can imagine how delighted they were LOL! They were then shown a red card and asked to leave the site with their player. The next game my son is playing this same boy and he stopped and held his back then started to play again, finally the ref caught on to what was going on and called the player for a verbal warning, he kept on with the antics until my son ended up elbowing the player in the face.

Patman,

I'm a grade #8 ref in Louisiana. Were these games back to back? I know here once a player is redcarded he must sit out the following game as well. Sounds like you need to have a talk with your areas assignor. I would report the said players, coach, refs and parents. He may not be able to do much with the coach and parents, but he can sure handle up on the refs and players. What age group is this? I usually don't see this kind of action until U18. I'll agree some of the parents take these games a bit too serious. I always get a laugh at some of the insults they come up with for the refs. :) Usually once the red cards come out they come in 3's. Players get aggrivated and get sloppy and parents feel the need to defend little Bobby from the sidelines. Sorry your kid had to experience that. Biased refs suck!

Mark

Something else I just thought about. Every time a player is redcarded and removed from the game, there is paperwork that must be filled out and turned into the state. If a player has as many problems as the ones you describe, their files can be reviewed and they can be banned permanently from play. You need to make sure these forms are being filled out by the refs(contact their assignor to make sure he gets it) and are making it to the state level. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
junkjeeps said:
Were these games back to back?
No, we play them every six months with other games in between.

MrLuckey said:
On purpose? If so what kind of double standard is this teaching?
He wasn't told to do it Eddie, it was something that he did to protect himself since the ref was not calling it even though my son told the ref about it twice during the game. I don't see that as a double standard since he was not coached or told to do it and it was reactionary based upon him getting continually pounded in the back.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
For all the bad parents out there, they should be made to join an adult sport. I know When you see a parent who plays sports they are more sportman like when thier children play. My personal favorite is SCA fighting(leather or steel armour and rattan swords) This sport will teach you sportsmanship or you will be in pain for weeks. Also adults who play sports ussually have a better time teaching thier children thier sports and have an better relationship as a whole. Of course Dirt bike rising is also tops in my book.
Lok

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Lokair said:
For all the bad parents out there, they should be made to join an adult sport. I know When you see a parent who plays sports they are more sportman like when thier children play.
Evidently you don't get the softball players that are trying to relive their glory days in your neck o' the woods.

I swear, I've never been around a bigger bunch of jerks than adult softball players. Forced me into retirement. Too much drama. It was like playing with a bunch of women.

Hell, playing the co-rec league *with* the women was better!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
XRpredator said:
Evidently you don't get the softball players that are trying to relive their glory days in your neck o' the woods.

I swear, I've never been around a bigger bunch of jerks than adult softball players. Forced me into retirement. Too much drama. It was like playing with a bunch of women.

You picked the wrong league. All the ones I see around here require a beer in one hand at all times. ;)

The key is to only play in leagues where they keep a keg at second base. ;)

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I hate parents like that. I was on the basketball team in highschool and it seemed like we always ended up with a ref that was a parent or friend on someone on the team we were playing. The ref would always be 'looking the other way' when something really obviously dirty happened, and the parents of the players would cheer and congratulate the dirty player on the good move. We even had parents like that when I used to curl in the odd school bonspiel...I mean come on you know your a little to competitive when you go insane at a game of CURLING.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
XRpredator said:

I hear ya pred. I had the same thing on my old league. Guys standing at the plate waiting for a perfect pitch. It's slow pitch softball, swing the bat, hit the ball and run. :bang:

Top Bottom