Mini-spodefest in MI, anyone interested?

motodilbert

Jan 21, 2001
I was hoping to see if anyone here in Michigan would be willing to set a date/time we might all/some of us DRN people get together on the weekend and have a mini-spodefest in the upper central lower peninsula. WOLVERINE would be awesome......say late may....not Memorial day weekend....got plans....maybe the next weekend. I'm open to ideas. Let me know if you think it might work as a "mini-spodefest" don't want to conflict w/ any AMA or CCC stuff so let me know.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Sounds great, but is sometime in June a viable option? I'm booked thru the fist weekend in June (getting married 5/20, honeymoon in Cancun 5/26, Dave Mathews 6/3:cool: )

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
I'm keen. Can't make anything in late May though. Second weekend of June would be sweet (9-10th). There are GNCC races on the weekend before and after, so it looks good.

motodilbert

Jan 21, 2001
MI, mini-spodefest

The 2nd weekend (looks like 6/8 and 6/9) actually would be better than the first. However, I am not very familiar with the riding areas in the UP. Any suggestions on the trail/area to select would be appreciated if we all decide to get together.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Don't know of any good trails in the UP, but found a good one this weekend. It's the Frederic Trail, about 1/2 hour N. of Grayling. It's tight, fun stuff. BTTS, I checked my DNR trail map ordering sheet and there are quite a few trails in the UP. I'll send out for some in the next couple of days and see what I can find of interest.

olson_jr

Mar 7, 2000
I believe the June 9/10 weekend is a CCCM ride near Marquette in the U.P. Any chance of combining the two events. I'm not quite sure what a mini-spodefest would consist of..........actually I'm not quite sure of what a CCCM ride would consist of either since I've been a member for years but have not ridden with the group.
Either way I would like to ride in the UP that weekend.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Jeff,My camp is actually in Merideth which is 18miles south of houghton lake in the LP. The Marquette area would be a excellent place for a SF. The sands plains offers some excellent enduro trails and two tracks. There is also a track and nice sand pit/play area with in rideing distance of the plains. This area is owned by CCI and they allow unlimited use, camping, ETC. The local club (sandstormers) puts on a enduro there.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
jr, we looked for you at Baldwin on Saturday night, but no luck.:(
I had a few cold ones with jeff allen, motodilbert and fred t. I hope they found you after I left.
I will send you an email to arrange future rides.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Flyin' Derhntr, I will not be able to make it that weekend - birthday/family obligations. I told Fred the two of you should meet at the clubgrounds and ride from there. If anyone asks, tell them Maurer said it was OK.
Have a great time!

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Hey guys how about holding the Mi. Spodefest at or around the Whiskey Creek area?
That south loop they had there was some of the best trails I have ever been on.

jrccc20967

Mar 30, 2000
I'am with Jeff. There is alot of other trails in that area.The pool would be a hit with the wife as well. Sorry that a group did not make it to Baldwin Sat. night. We talked to Fred on the rode and it sounded like everyone had a good time.We parked across the road from the kids ride if you saw a gray Z71 with a full light bar on it that was us.We had a good time one bike died 2 miles from the start. I told them not to buy a Honda:D

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Hey jr, on the Honda.....did you check to see if the choke was on?? ha! ha!

I enjoyed to trails at Whiskey Creek, but I rode most of the loop with Fred on Saturday. I would rather find another location for a spodefest. I have an idea, but I am working on the details. Camping can be provided, but no hot tub (sorry Mrs. jr).

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
What about Black Mountain? The place has some good single track and lots of play/hill climb areas. Some of the climbs are very tough. Marquette would be a good choice also.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Pick a place and date and I'll be there.

I think it would be awesome to get a group of MI Spodes together for a fun day or weekend of riding, cookouts and a cool one near a campfire remembering the fun we had that day. I'm in -be patient fatherand son is cooking up something that would be real nice. (I can't spill his beans) I have a connection for some steaks or burgers for a grill out. My treat! :) The most fun I've had so far this spring is meeting the many fine people here in MI that are interested in riding bikes. It's pretty cool to meet so many nice people.

jrccc20967

Mar 30, 2000
The Honda was a cr125, his dad is the one that left the choke out last time.I think the kid took the top end out again.( looks like uncle Denny has some more work to do)Keep us posted on what you come up with Mike. I am ready for another ride.Fred remember that I like to eat so pack lots of extra's.

motodilbert

Jan 21, 2001
I'm thinking I might try to hit the CCC ride up in Marquette on 6/8-6/9 and then maybe later in the summer try to get something together....but it sounds like father and son might have something cooking. I've been soooo busy.

spktm

Jun 5, 2000
sounds like a hoot to me i have not ridden in michigan for 20 years (I"m a former yooper} but i go there almost every year and don't bring my bike
JUST SAY WHEN

SPKTM
CR250
CR450 COMIMG SOON

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
would be intrested!

just post, hopfully not to far north, would be nice to keep it to a 3hr drive

Top Bottom