jfisher304

Nov 15, 1999
Hey guys,
First, I hope I posted this in the correct area........ Does anyone here have any experience in doing the CR-80 with an XR-100 motor conversion? I have had an XR motor laying around for a while and have the chance to buy a 99 CR-80 from a guy that bought it to pull the motor for his shifter kart. I have seen the BBR stuff, but I don't see shelling out a couple grand for a frame conversion through them. I alao noticed that BBR sells the air box boot / adaptor for those doing their own conversion, so I assume it can't be too bad or the wouldn't sell the parts individually. If anyone can give some first hand advice it would be appreciated.

Jason Fisher
99 YZ-400

Oh BTW, what grade / type tubing should be used for frame construction such as this?

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I know there was a couple places, that would sell you a frame already modified. You would simply give them yours as a core. That way the average guy didnt' have to deal with the jigging and welding. You may wan't contact So Cal XR's, or Engines Only, they do alot with these.

Slim

Oct 9, 2000
I would love to do one of these myself, and have searched for info on how to make it happen as cost effectively as possible. The best source of info I found was So Cal XR's. They have a good article on their tech page on doing a conversion, and they also offer frame mods for less than some. Nothing quite as trick as the BBR setup, but I just can't afford that no matter how much I'd love to have one.
I'm hoping now that Yamaha releases it's YZ125F, or whatever it will be, about the time my 9 year old will be the right size for it. That way, I'll be able to get him a really cool bike, and I might get to play on it occasionally myself.
Good luck with your project.
By the way, the web site for So Cal XR's is either socalxr.com or socalxrs.com (I think)

jfisher304

Nov 15, 1999
Ok,
After seeing all the pics at the socalxr's page dmc etc. I have figured out what needs to be modified and I think I can pull it off myself, so I'm gonna give it a shot. My next question though is...what about modiyfing a stock xr 100 frame to hold upgraded suspension ? I figure the forks could be fitted with a set of custom triple clamps, but the swing arm / shock linkage would be the hardest part. Of course I guess the geometry would probably be too far off then.....oh well, out to the shop to get started measuring and jig building. With any luck I might just see ya'll at Langtown.....

Jason

------------------

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The XR100R frame flexes too much for serious riding on a track. Just mod the CR frame to fit it, then you'll have a SWEET bike!

------------------
The Original Speedster
1985 XR100R
1978 XL250S

Top Bottom