Minis to 125s How to make the transition

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
I just got my 125 and you'd think i'd be real happy, but im feeling kind of apprehensive bout getting on it actually, I can't seem to get myself off my 100 n on to the 125. I'll always find excuses like I have to replace some parts first, and i'll always say Yea I'll switch over after 2 more races or so. ARGH!

I find the 125 big, esp around the shrouds. It's a lil high but I've yet to dail the suspension to my weight.
I'm in a dilemma which should not be.
:think

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Wroof, when I first got the KDX I kept the 80 to make sure I was going to be okay. However, I was banned for 1 month to ride the 80. It had to stay at home (unless I had a friend going up). Then after that I was made to ride the 80. I did it and rode it once more for fun. Then it was time to do it up & sell it (my decision, Henk thought the KDX could be a good spare bike for him if I didn't like it).

Henk was worried I'd be in the same situation as you, but he was also worried I'd stop riding. Everytime, for the first couple of months, I'd go into the garage & look at the KDX & wonder what the heck I'd done. It was so big & heavy. Within a week or so I was organising lowering it & softening the rear spring. I honestly couldn't go back to the 80 now, and it only took about 1 week to make up my mind (it took a heck of a lot longer to adjust to the bike though, now that I'm comfortable on it, I forget to check to make sure I can touch the ground and often fall because of it - oops).

I did almost stop riding because I felt so incompetent/useless. I knew I couldn't go to an XR (I really don't like them sorry to say), but I knew I couldn't go back to a small bike (too cramped). However, my friends gave me heaps of encouragement & forced me to get over it - both the women here on DRN and in real life. I also knew someone here was worried that I'd give up riding because of her encouraging me to get a bigger bike & there was no way I'd let that happen.

Sorry for the long reply, but I honestly hope that helps some as I do know what you're going through. Feel free to email me at any time if you want to talk. I know I'm in a slightly different situation than you (I don't do MX, just trail riding).
Michelle

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
thanks alot michelle :)

yes you're right, slacking off or not performing as well on the new bike is one of my hidden fears. I hope that i would feel super cramped up on my 100 when I start to ride the 125, then it would b a perk to make me ride the 125.
There were a couple of times where I thought I might have made a mistake in buying it and should have just poured the money into doing up my 100.
I bought it in May and now its July already, can you believe how long I was in self denial!
Yes, alot of people have been nagging at me to get a bigger bike, and once I had the chance to try out my friends kx in hope that I would get on mine sooner, but I declined the offer...
oh well, I will be washing and cutting out numbers for my new baby soon.

thanks again :)

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I rode a few times on an old xr 200 and rode an 80 for a few minutes around my friends back yard. Then I just went out and bought a 125. I can hardly touch the ground and I was a beginner. I can't even touch the ground with both of my feet at the same time, not even on my tippy toes. It was hard at first to get on the bike and go, but once you get on it and ride, all your worries go away. Its really easier than you think. The only problem I have is when I fall off and the ground is really uneven then I have a hard time starting. So I just push the bike to even ground and get on there. Focus on riding, not on the bike and you will do fine. :)

Payday2

Sep 29, 1999
Wroof,

My fiance just went through the same thing. I got hurt and she started riding my 125, and she liked it, she just wasn't sure about the transition. So one day we just loaded up the 125 and went riding. That way the 80 wasn't around for her to fall back on. If she wanted to ride that day, she had to ride the 125. Once she spent some quality time on the bike, she really liked it. 2 weeks later the 80 is gone.

Kim did say that if the 80 would have been there that day, she would have rode it instead. My suggestion would be just to spend a day on the bike and get comfortable with it. Make sure the bike is comfortable for you (control position, lever reach, bar position...the little things can really make a huge difference) and go for it. Kim spent a few hours just riding the bike around on flat ground before even going out on the track. just get comfortable and go from there.

Good luck!

J&K

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
It's always easier to stick with what's comfortable. The hard part is not riding the new bike, but making the transition. As everyone else mentioned, take it easy the first few rides and learn to get comfortable with your new bike. You'll soon find that the 125 can do things more easily than your 100. Good Luck!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Once you get the hang of that 125, you wont want to go back.
In fact, give it some time and i bet youll be scoping out the 250's! :D
(Power has a way of becoming addicting.)
I was out of dirtbiking for about 10 years after selling my last bike.
(A 1974 XL125 in '84.)
When i got back into it, it was with a XL500r.
(I wanted something smaller, but it was a deal too good to pass up.)
It was sorta spooky at first, but now that i'm used to it anything less is just......too much less! ;)
Youll like it. Just give it some time.
Have fun, and ride safe!

curlyma

Lifetime Sponsor
Jan 19, 2000
For some, (like me!) it takes several months to a year to learn a bike. I know I keep comparing the pros and cons of the old and new bike.

"Once you get the hang of that 125, you wont want to go back. "

Right now I don't know if I want to get the hang of the 125! I also have a new 125 (got it for my silver wedding anniversary!), a ktm exc. It's been great for open trail. The suspension on the faster trail is cadillac! Right now I'm recovering from a rotator cuff sprain and a twisted knee, so I've been riding my old kx 100 while working the trails for our enduro in Aug. I can slip through the tight so much faster on the kx; it's so easy to flick it around the trees. Plus it's 75 lbs lighter when I have to pick it up after a spill! I spent $600 getting Drew Smith to lower the forks and spring 2 inches on the ktm, which made the lower center of gravity very comfortable, so I really need to give this bike a chance. HoweverI find myself considering a new kx 100, since it's improved over the 94 that I'm riding right now.

I know this isn't any help to get you "over the hump" to leave the smaller bike behind. Just couldn't help throw my 2 cents worth in to let you know there's other riders with the same dilema. For me, I have to decide what kind of riding I'm going to be doing for the next couple of years. If I mostly trail ride more open stuff, the ktm is the bike. If I mostly ride the tight, and ride enduro, (the present activity) the smaller bike seems better. Decisions, decisions!:confused:

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
thanks for all your thoughts

I tested the consumer market at the races last weekend, and realized that quite a lot of people were interested in my little bike, so I guess it will be gone in a few weeks.

I was briefly addicted to power, one sunday many many months ago, on a cr250. Yea, I was considering long term too when I decided to switch bikes, the guy I go riding with has seen the bike and says its quite ok, a change of seat cover and soften the suspensions, and I um will get the hang of it and wont want to go back. :cool:

carmen

Top Bottom