Missing anti-freeze. Head gasket?

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
I had recently flushed my cooling system. Before i did , the coolant level stayed the same. Since then, every time i check my radiator, the level has dropped on me. The only time i see white smoke from my exhaust is when it is winding down from the powerband. Is my head gasket gone? I see no other leaks from the motor. I have not ridden it any, exept around the yard to test it.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
See if the trans oil has turned milky looking . The antifreeze could get into the trans oil by the water pump oil seal . If the head gasket is blown normaly the antifreeze will look foamy after you firts start the bike and the high compression of the engine will push antifreeze out the overflow .

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
So most likely not a head gasket? I went through my bike, cleaned carb,flushed radiator, changed spark plug, bled the cooling system. Filled radiators with 50/50 antifreeze. Then it sat for about 2-3 weeks. When i come back and check, the antifreeze level has dropped 3/8 in.

mxman2000

Jan 19, 2008
When you first run the bike after filling it up you can expect to lose some coolant as all the pipes etc fill up. try filling it full again and see if you still lose coolant.

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
mxman2000 said:
When you first run the bike after filling it up you can expect to lose some coolant as all the pipes etc fill up. try filling it full again and see if you still lose coolant.

This is the 3rd time i have filled it up though. I just hope it is a gasket or seal somewhere.

Top Bottom