buffsabs11

Apr 2, 2006
im very new to riding, and am very ignorant about the bike and how it works. i was at a friend's house, and he asked me if there were any lube nipples on the bike. i said i didnt know, and he explaind to me how they worked on a sled, and then he said he saw one on the brake caliper. he convinced me to squirt some echo-lube into it, so we did. is this wrong? how do i fix it? how much will it cost?

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
That nipple sounds like the bleeder screw for the brake fluid most likely Dot3 fluid. It won't hurt nothing aslong as you didn't loosen the screw first. You shouldn't be lubing it though.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
A YZ 85 doesn't have any grease nipples on it. You have to disassemble the linkage and steering head to grease the bearings.

That is indeed a bleed screw for the brake fluid, not a grease nipple. Odds are you only filled the bleed screw with grease, which may attract dust, but shouldn't harm anything unless it plugs up.

It would be a good idea to learn more about bike maintenance, and carefully evaluate the source, before allowing anyone else to do anything to your bike. Many people don't know what they are talking about, which could cause damage to your bike, when they do something wrong.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
buffsabs11 said:
im very new to riding, and am very ignorant about the bike and how it works. i was at a friend's house, and he asked me if there were any lube nipples on the bike. i said i didnt know, and he explaind to me how they worked on a sled, and then he said he saw one on the brake caliper. he convinced me to squirt some echo-lube into it, so we did. is this wrong? how do i fix it? how much will it cost?
Sounds like you friend doesn't know bikes either. At least you didn't say "hey, let's lube the brakes". Never listen to that friend's motorcycle maintenance advise again. Don't let him tell you how to fix a car either (although they do have grease fittings on the suspension components).
If you didn't loosen the bleeder screw before lubing it, the grease just squirted around and made a mess, and you are probably OK. If any did get in, you need to flush the caliper. I trust you didn't involve a wrench in the process.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Tell your friend he needs to lube his compensator valve and get yourself a manual and ask questions here.

buffsabs11

Apr 2, 2006
on another website, some guy said that it was possible for lube to be forced through the valve. if it was, how would i know, and how whould i clean it out?

buffsabs11

Apr 2, 2006
FruDaddy said:
Sounds like you friend doesn't know bikes either. At least you didn't say "hey, let's lube the brakes". Never listen to that friend's motorcycle maintenance advise again. Don't let him tell you how to fix a car either (although they do have grease fittings on the suspension components).
If you didn't loosen the bleeder screw before lubing it, the grease just squirted around and made a mess, and you are probably OK. If any did get in, you need to flush the caliper. I trust you didn't involve a wrench in the process.
-how do i flush the caliper? how much does it cost?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I don't know of anybody that has ever had to do it, but if the grease is in there, you have to find a way to get it out. You will probably have to pull the caliper apart and clean it out. Are you sure theres grease in there? Again, it you didn't loosen the bleeder, you didn't squirt any grease in there.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
If you didn't get too much in there just bleeding the brake a bit should force the grease out. Put pressure on the lever, loosen the bleed nipple a bit until the lever is at the end of its travel and tighten the bleed nipple again before releasing the lever. You might need to do this a time or two, keep an eye on the brake fluid level while doing it and keep it topped up so that no air enters the system. Most bikes should have DoT 4 fluid. If you want to check for air in the system at the same time attach some clear plastic tubing to the nipple, and keep bleeding until no air bubbles can be seen in the tube.

Top Bottom