GrassMaster

Dec 22, 2003
Im fixing to switch from running Golden Spectro and start using Redline. Ive been mixing the Spectro 12oz to 4.5 Gallons. Redline is in a 16oz bottle so how many gallons should I use?

Thanks for yalls trouble!

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
According to your ratio you should use exactly 6 gallons with the 16oz bottle. You could always go out and buy a "Ratio right" and see what the ratio is for the 12oz bottle and then just use that same ratio every time you get gas. That way will be much easier because I don't think you can buy a 6gallon can. The ratio right is only about $5 at any dealer then you can mix the right amount in any can size.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Geez louise! You don't need a ratio rite (well, you should have one ANYway..) or an online calculator to figure ratios, do you?

Using 12oz. of oil to 4.5 US gal. gets you 48:1.

If you want to keep the same ratio with 16oz. of oil put it in 6 US gallons of fuel.

To keep the same ratio to your standard 5 US gal. fuel container, put in 13.33oz. of oil.

Easy, 'eh? Actually, you need 13.333333333... ounces of oil. :think:

OK...so you do need a ratio rite! ;)

Oh...they (ratio rites) don't generally come with lids. Get one'a THEM, too!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
An easy way to do ratios in your head is to just remember: 1 gallon = 128 ounces. Just divide 128 by what ever ratio you wish, to get the number of ounces of oil needed per gallon of gas. For example, you want a mix ratio of 40:1? Divide 128 by 40 and you get 3.2 ounces of oil needed for one gallon of gas. Mixing up more than 1 gallon at 40:1? Just multiply the one gallon amount of oil, in this case 3.2 ounces by the number of gallons you are trying to mix up, say....4.5 gallons. You would need 3.2 ounces of oil times the 4.5 gallons of gas for a total of 14.4 ounces of oil to keep a 40:1 mix.
Of course you are going to need something to measure out your oil into, so you might as well get a ratio rite to begin with and save those last remaining brain cells you haven't fried from too many beers and enjoy another frosty one.

C.C. ratio rites have lids? I've never seen one for sale. Mine turns into the LeBrae tar pits between uses. I figure the critters that fall in will add to the oil in the bottom and save me some money buying 2 stroke oil in the long run.

Last edited:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Wibby, baby bottles used to have oz markings on them and tops to boot. You could even cut the nipple off on one and have a built in funnel! How old fashioned is that! See grey hair does not ruin your memory! The $5 for a ratio right will buy you two gallons of gasoline. Cheers

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'when you guys go metric...'

Oh YEAH!!

Lessee.....my math sez that to get a 48:1 ratio you need .41667 litres in 20 litres (5 Imperial Gallons) of gasoline.

I've looked around the house but seem to have misplaced my .41667 litre measuring cup. ;)

SkiPro:
Yep. They make lids. Usually $1.50 or so. If I had to clean my ratio rite every time I used it I'd sooner mess with using the graduated marks on the side of an oil bottle. The lid isn't going to keep residual oil from draining out if you throw your RR into your gear bag, but it WILL keep out bugs-n-stuff.

Guess that does mean you would be using more oil? Without the bugs as ballast and all...........;(

RockyMountain has a ratio rite with a lid for only an additional (over the cost of just the measuring cup) $.75!

Attachments

• R-R lid.jpg
    R-R lid.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 111
  • R-R lid cheap.jpg
    R-R lid cheap.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
John Harris said:
Wibby, baby bottles used to have oz markings on them and tops to boot.

I don't need no stinkin' baby bottle or a ratio-rite!

My orl comes premeasured in neat lil' 16oz bottles :)

And if I need less than 5 gallons mixed I just go to the kitchen and get a measuring cup!
:nener:

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
skipro3 said:
C.C. ratio rites have lids? I've never seen one for sale. Mine turns into the LeBrae tar pits between uses. I figure the critters that fall in will add to the oil in the bottom and save me some money buying 2 stroke oil in the long run.

Cleaning the Ratio-Rite is a breeze. I just use a little gas from the pump to rinse it out and then pour it into the can. :cool:

ps... don't squeeze the handle to hard though. :eek:

...and don't ask me how I know. :rotfl:

KDXRyder200

Sep 3, 2003
Use Amsoil it is the best oil I've ever used......i mix it at 32:1 which is 4 ounces of oil to every gallon of gas. I mix 20 ounces of oil with 5 gallons of gas......Walla! :laugh:

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
no one here has noticed the little indicator on the side of the bottle and the little chart on the back??? even if the chart isn't on your favorite oil, it is on the bottle right next to it...

no calculator, no "other" container, no mess to clean up, no guessing (unless you can't hold a bottle level, in which case nothing can save you), no problem..... :bang:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The quantity marks on the side of oil containers are not accurate. Well, probably accurate enough for some folks.

Top Bottom