Mixing pre-mix's...did I screw up?

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I rode my 2000 KDX 200 this weekend and for the first lap (16 miles), I was using gas with Bel Ray H1R pre-mix. Before the 2nd lap, I needed more gas and just filled up the tank not realizing that I was adding gas with Bel Ray MC1 pre-mix. :bang: I still had about a gallon of the H1R pre-mix in the tank. The bike was running beautifully on the first lap, but after mixing the fuels, it was running like crap and missing a lot. I plan to drain the tank tonight, but was wondering if I hurt anything or if there was anything else I needed to do. I've heard that you should not mix two different pre-mix's in the same tank. Thanks for any advice/input!

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I haven't pulled the plug, but did see that the bike was smoking a little more than usual. No excessive drool out the exhaust though.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I'd look for other issues. Mixing pre-mixes while not ideal will not cause a noticeable difference in how the bike runs. Perhaps the later fuel container was contaminated with water or something?

good luck

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Ok, so I pulled the plug last night and it was quite oily and black. It was the only ride on that plug too. I put in a new plug, drained the tank, re-filled it with a gas/oil mix of 50:1 premium with MC1 pre-mix. Started it up and it seems to run fine but it's smoking like a tar baby!

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
lol, i did the same thing, trust me it wont work, if you dont rejett your bike when switching your ratio it wont work. 50:1 is a ton more rich than 32:1. Being rich is not by haveing to much oil, the less oil you have the richer you are running your bike. I know this seems strange but thats the way it is.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I was running 50:1 with the H1R too, I just mixed the H1R and MC1's together. Same ratio, just different pre-mix's. Went from running like a champ to barely running at all. :yikes:

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Just wanted to let everyone know that I rode my bike this weekend after draing the tank and refilling with only 1 type of pre-mix (MC1) and the bike ran like a dream. Lesson learned-don't mix fuels in the tank that have different pre-mix's. I still think I like the H1R better than the MC1 though. :ride:

Top Bottom