Mixing premix in far off lands...Help???

team FTB

Sep 26, 2005
Apologies for the curse word on the earlier attempted post. Here's a revised edition.

So I'm going to Thailand for some off-raod exploration . I've packed everything I need (manual, levers, filter, jets, cables, etc.) for a proposed ride of an XR250. I get over here and I need to switch to a two Stroke Kawasaki KDX 200. Hmmmmm :whoa: .

One thing I did not pack was a Ratio Rite to mix the premix :bang: . I can pack the required two stroke oil, so peeps help enlighten my lost soul. How can I mix premix accurately in the jungle when fueling from drums and such when dispensed volumes are unknown and trying to mix a 32:1 cocktail? Looking for some ideas to scratch my chin over.

Some of you ole desert rats and Baja racers should have some insight :laugh: .

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Do you have access to a kitchen measuring cup? I think it's 4oz per gallon, but if you're in a metric world, just divide the milliliters of fuel by 32. It'll take a little longer, but you can measure the fuel with the same cup. You could also put a gallon in a jug and mark the level, then mix in that jug (you'll still want a measuring cup for the oil).

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
John Cena has THE solution!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
trial_07 said:
John Cena has THE solution!
The downside to that is the fact that if you want to get the mix right, you have to completely drain the tank before refueling (no topping off). Also, you will have to make sure the bike is at the same lean angle, and you fill it to the same level, every time. Sorry, it's a little flawed, but yes, it will work.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
The thing is out in the jungle the mix isnt going to be right. You either just guess and dump some oil in there or premix some jugs of gas to take with you, although it'll be heavy.

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
Pour the gas into a 4 liter jug [that's close to a gallon], then add 125 mls [half a cup] of oil into the jug.....shake...and you are done. That's your 32:1 mix in metric or standard measure.

team FTB

Sep 26, 2005
Guys thanks for the input :cool: .

Fru daddy is correct, while John Cenas method will work it is impractical for what I need when topping off partial full tanks.

Looks like I will need to carry an empty container of a known capacity and premark that container. Sure beats carrying full containers of premix though :nod: .

Now the problem for us colonials is figuring out the conversions to metric :bang: . You'd laugh cuz most of the small containers that I am looking at using don't have volume size printed on the containers like they do in most of the developed world. When they do it's in Thai :ohmy: .

Oh well onward through the fog. Keep the suggestions flowing as I'm all ears, especially on conversions. Thanks Kshakleton.

Here's an addendum. After riding two strokes with perfect premix in the states with no problems. How far off on the premix ratio does one have before it either fouls plugs or starts pinging? Lets say I'm running 32:1 ideally but misjudge and put a 24:1 ratio in. Will an error of that capacity cause grief or do I have room to breathe?

elliot-cr133

Uhhh...
Jul 4, 2006
team FTB said:
Lets say I'm running 32:1 ideally but misjudge and put a 24:1 ratio in. Will an error of that capacity cause grief or do I have room to breathe?

we've screwed up and done that. mixed 24:1. you have to keep the rpm's waaay up otherwise it'll foul on you.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
No need to convert between metric and imperial. It is a ratio of 32 parts gas to 1 part oil, and it doesn't matter how much actual volume the proverbial part contains. You can just carry an empty beer can with you. Dump 8 beer cans worth of gas into your tank, followed by 1/4 of same beer can filled with oil. So the only trick is accurately measuring 1/4 of a can, which is not hard even in the jungle - all you need is a straw which you'll fold into quarters and then use it as a measuring stick.

Wanna get fancy? Well, if you really want to top off and then add the necessary amount of oil, here is how. The idea is to make yourself a calibrated dipstick as follows:
1) empty the tank
2) add exactly 1 liter of gas
3) insert dipstick, remove dipstick, and mark current level
repeat steps 2 and 3 until the tank is full. Now you've got a dipstick which tells you exactly how much fuel you have in your tank. BTW, you'll have to insert the dipstick at an angle to reach the lowest point in the tank. It is not a problem, as long as you insert it at the same angle every time (i.e. just jam it into the back of the tank). Oh, and you have to keep the bike leaned the same way every time too. When you get to your jungle fuel stop, take a measurement before and after you top off, and the difference tells you how much gas you added. Now divide that volume by 32, and that's how much oil you must add. I recommend you carry a medium sized syringe calibrated in cubic centimeters for measuring oil (remember that 1 liter = 1000 CCs). BTW, dividing by 32 in the jungle without a calculator is not too hard: just divide by 2, then by 2 again, then by 2 again, then by 2 again, and finally by 2 once more (that's 5 divisions by 2). Or to make your life simpler, just remember that you need about 31cc of oil per 1 liter of gas (1000 / 32 = 31.25)

team FTB

Sep 26, 2005
blackduc98,

Thanks for the detailed post. Nice suggestion. The dipstick method whilst works fine logically, but applying it in the field may encompass too many variables that could end up with wrong mixtures. Not something I want to happen when overnight camping alone in a jungle in a foriegn country :( .

However I think I've found an easier way to properly mix the ratios. I've picked up a clear baby bottle here in the market. It's got CC's marked on the side for an easy reference. So my baby bottle is my new "ratio rite" using 31 CC's per liter of fuel (measured with an empty 1 liter water bottle).

Thanks for the tips guys.

Top Bottom