Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
Since September 11, 2001, Americans have come together as never before in our generation. We have banded together to overcome tremendous adversity. We have weathered direct attacks on our own soil, wars overseas,corporate scandal, layoffs, unemployment, stock price plunges, droughts, fires,and a myriad of economic and physical disasters both great and small. But now, we must come together once again to overcome our greatest challenge yet.

Hundreds of Major League Baseball players in our very own nation are living at, just below, or in most cases far above the seven-figure salary level. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their life giving pay for several months, possibly longer, as a result of the upcoming strike situation. But you can help!

For only $20,835 a month, about $694.50 a day (that's less than the cost of a large screen projection TV) you can help a MLB player remain economically viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the problem as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it's a start, and every little bit will help!

Although $700 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a baseball player it could mean the difference between spending the strike golfing in Florida or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, seven hundred dollars is nothing more than a month's rent, half a mortgage payment, or a month of medical insurance, but to a baseball player, $700 will partially replace his daily salary.

Your commitment of less than $700 a day will enable a player to buy that home entertainment center, trade in the year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or enjoy a weekend in Rio.
HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?
Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the player you sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds, 401(k), real estate, and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the player lounging during the strike on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (for a signed < /SPANphoto, please include an additional $150). Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.
HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?
Your MLB player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.
YES, I WANT TO HELP!
I would like to sponsor a striking MLB player. My preference is (check below):
[ ] Infielder
[ ] Outfielder
[ ] Starting Pitcher
[ ] Ace Pitcher
[ ] Entire team (Please call our 900 number to ask for the cost of a
specific team - $10 per minute)
[ ] Alex Rodriguez (Higher cost: $60,000 per day)
Please charge the account listed below $694.50 per day for the duration of the strike. Please send me a picture of the player I have sponsored, along with an Alex Rodriguez 200 1 Income Statement and my very own Donald Fehr MLB Players Union pin to wear proudly on my hat (include $80 for hat).
Your Name: _______________________
Telephone Number: _______________________
Account Number: _______________________ Exp.Date:_______
[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Discover
Signature: _______________________
Alternate card (when the primary card exceeds its credit limit):
Account Number: _______________________ Exp.Date:_______
[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Discover
Signature: _______________________
Mail completed form to MLB Players Union or call 1-900-F%*&-THE-FANS now to enroll by phone ($10 per minute).
Disclaimer: Sponsors are not permitted to contact the player they have sponsored, either in person or by other means including, but not limited to, telephone calls, letters, e-mail, or third parties.
Contributions are not tax-deductible.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
If MLB was never played again in my lifetime, that would be great!
Its gotta be the most borringst sport to watch in person.
Nice to know ya' :uh:

topend

Aug 7, 2002
no more baseball :yeehaw:
not like there making so much already. He got an idea... if you stop watching baseball, no money from the fans, no money for teams.
then we will see if they are actucally playing for the fans, like they say they are!

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Bottom line, your their owners. Change the channel and stop going to games. It would only take a month or so, and they would develope a whole new attitude.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
You should check out foxsports.com. They have a slideshow with different signs the fans have been carrying. Theirs some pretty funny stuff.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I watched Disney's the "Rookie" last night, allthough it was a great movie and MLB is a dream for Millions of kids I feel they can go flog themselves.

I don't know the whole story and I don't know both sides, I just know I can't afford a ticket, nor the 5 hour drive to get to a game so I don't support it, watch it, or care for it! Also in Washington our tax money helped pay for the new stadium :think: If they didn't pay the players so much maybe the owners could afford their own stadium.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by zcookie49
Its gotta be the most borringst sport to watch in person.

i don't care for it much on tv, other than the highlights but i love watching baseball in person.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Great article for those of you that really think its the players faults.

If we've learned anything over the last week, as baseball's strike countdown gradually claimed its own little corner of our television screens, it's this: There is perhaps no issue galvanizing our nation quite like the distasteful notion of young, able-bodied men making millions of dollars playing baseball.

We have no problem, however, with old-guard patricians making millions of dollars owning baseball teams, maybe because we accept their status as the ultimate owners of everything, with baseball merely a logical extension. But these young guys -- the ones fans pay to watch -- they're a different story. They're ingrates, after all, because every guy driving a truck or stocking the shelves would play ball for nothing. Nothing, I tell ya.

Fans have no problem letting players know who they blame.

The 11th-hour settlement allowed the owners the right to claim victory, but they had already won long before the pasty-faced kingpins took turns adoring themselves in the congratulatory press conference. The owners commandeered the PR battle and made it their own. Roughly three-quarters of the interested public -- granted, a dwindling number -- sided with the owners in this dispute, and the anecdotal evidence was even stronger than the statistical.

On Thursday night they threw baseballs and money onto the field in Anaheim, in Orange County, where free-market capitalism turned orange groves into glistening high-rise, high-rent office space. It was ugly and distasteful, but hey -- they paid their money, right? They can express themselves as they see fit.

Besides, the players are public and accessible, so they take the brunt of the fans' anger. In the interest of balance, though -- competitive balance, even -- why not direct some of that anger toward the owners' boxes?

Lost in the argument throughout the ordeal were many salient facts. The perception was that players making an average of $2.3 million weren't satisfied and wanted more. The reality was that, all along, the players expressed a willingness to concede on most issues -- a fact exhibited in the final agreement. The perception was that baseball was dying, that the money supply was dwindling. That's what the owners want you to believe, even though baseball revenue has doubled in the past six years, to $3.6 billion.

Who won baseball's labor dispute?
Fans
Owners
Players
No one

The direction of public opinion is mystifying, really. Everyone seems to understand and accept Bud Selig's epic incompetence and seemingly bottomless capacity for -- to be highly generous -- twisting the truth. Just to pick something at random, Selig can't even embrace the game's best stories -- the allegedly impossible small-payroll successes in Minnesota and Oakland. Those two franchises are models, and Bud calls them aberrations. They should be honored, instead they are belittled. Has there ever been a worse spokesman for the game than Selig?

Doesn't matter. You say it was the players' fault, so it was the players' fault. Since everyone seems fixated on Alex Rodriguez's oft-cited $252 million contract, let's shift the argument from Rodriguez to Rangers owner Tom Hicks. This utter incompetent gave A-Rod nearly $100 million more than the next offer, and then he stood around begging for money and bemoaning the system. He deserves some of George Steinbrenner's money? Why, exactly? So his next ridiculous move doesn't hurt as much? These are the same scions and heirs ("Lucky Sperm Club") whose blue blood curdles every time they're asked to pay sales tax on a yacht, and yet they're lining up to push a luxury tax, which is nothing more than a subsidy for the incompetent.

The luxury tax revenues won't have to be reinvested in the teams. If you honestly believe the money gained from such a tax will translate into better decisions and higher payrolls for poorly run clubs such as the Royals, Phillies and White Sox, you haven't been paying attention.

Oh, and calling it a "competitive balance tax"? Please. Don't insult us any more than you already have. We can't take much more. Until you open the books and prove the losses, some of us will remain skeptical. Do you think for a second that ticket prices will fall if the $3.6 billion is distributed more evenly? Do you think that $6.50 beer would suddenly cost $1.50? Our economics textbooks and our common sense indicate otherwise.

So it's done. Great news. No games were canceled. The damage was minimized, and after today that's all that really matters. Maybe the two sides will work together to market the sport properly and bring its image more in line with reality. But until then, go ahead and cheer the owners for holding firm and boo the players for their salaries and their hubris, but try to keep one thing in mind: At least the players are good at what they do.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
At least the players are good at what they do.
I'm good at what I do and I don't make $20,000 a month.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Owners and players appear to be greedy. It's the fans that lose. It's a good thing I'm not a fan or I'd be mad. ;)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Dash- I saw your post a little late, but that don't make it any less funny! Thanks :thumb: LMAO!!

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
I'm good at what I do and I don't make $20,000 a month

Doctors get paid well. Surgeons get paid even better. I am sure you are as good a tech as he may be a surgeon. Why does he get paid more?

I say total free agency. Lets let them be paid what they are worth.

For those of you that dont know worth is what someone is willing to pay for what you do.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Lets let them be paid what they are worth.

Exactly, and it hasn't been worth it for about .... mmmm... 20 years.

That's why I will not support professional sports (the big 3 at least). I encourage everyone to do the same and let economic theory take it's course.

And if you ask me, doctors DON'T make enough. If they did, they wouldn't be playing the HMO games - prescribing (read: pushing) a "bit more expensive" Motrin equivalent so they can get their kickback from the pharmaceutical company, and making bonuses by saving the HMO $.

So, yeah I think pro ball players (#1) make too much. And Hollywood movie stars (#2) ($9 a ticket - thanks Julia!). Lawyers (#3) too (not all), but not doctors (#4). But hey, this is capitalism baby!

So my bottom line is that I think somebody should make whatever someone else is willing to pay them, but Idolatry ain't cheap. So I only “vote” with my dollars concerning #’s 1 & 2. That’s fine. Unfortunately, #’s 3 & 4 don’t enjoy the level playing field of a free market system. The playing field has been “socially engineered” through law(s). That, we should change.

I think it’s pretty lame that a lot of the best & brightest are going to law school instead of med school because of $.

I know it may sound like “blame the lawyer”, but they’re just playing by the rules of the game. I blame the game. Rage against the machine.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
BTW, they just closed/are closing something like 9 trauma centers in LA. They can't afford to keep them open. The two main reasons are lawsuits and illegal immigrants w/o insurance. I don't have to tell you that there is something seriously wrong with this. Vegas is having the same problem with their ONE trauma center - last I heard it was going away (I know hard to believe). Our priorities are all f'd up.

So you may bleed to death, but RIP-assured that at least it won't be difficult for you family to sue lot's of people.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Doctors have been prostitutes for the insurance companies. They will get what they deserve. In the next 10 years watch doctors salaries plummet. They have sold their souls and many lives so they can go to the really hot place under the ground somewhere.

The have long since been the assasins of the insurance companies, and now that they are getting shafted too they all of a sudden want our help and sympathies. Watch John Q for those of you who cant grasp what I am saying.
It's not just a movie, it would be your life if you kid, GOd forbid,
ever got sick like that. Only your kid would probably die.

As far as athletes go. If they can get the check let them get it. IF you dont like it quit watching the games.

I would be willing to bet NONE OF YOU WOULD SAY NO TO A PAYCHECK LIKE THAT!! I BET ALL OF YOU TRY TO GET PAID AS MUCH AS YOU CAN FOR YOUR JOB AND SKILLS.

I personally feel database people get paid way to much! I am being honest here. Dont get mad. Just a fact. IT people are or should I say were severely overpaid.

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
were :(

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
NO offense intended on that one Bundu.

I am just tired of hearing people complain. People deserve the right to make as much as they can.

If you swing a bat then go get as much as you can. If you ever get injured they will let you rot anyway. I bet you none of these peopel complaining would turn down a salary like that.

The sad thing is these people think that the owners are going to lower ticket prices and gear prices. HAHA! Let me know when it happens..

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1425570

There is something I bet no one cares about.

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
No Offense taken

People deserve the right to make as much as they can.

In that case, no one can ever be paid to much - rather what the market dictates !

The IT market is in a slump (some areas), and the pay and salaries reflect this. I am looking to move north and east where business is still booming.

As to sports and acting, we the consumer/public vote with our feet. As to the owners being the bad guys, don't know, more like idiots as you pointed out. On one hand they pay too much for their players, on the other hand they want a salary cap - There is an automatic salary cap, what the owners themselves wish to pay.

So long as we, the ultimate suckers, pay the high ticket prices, and shocking, beer, popcorn, and soda prices - the status quo will remain the same. :uh:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
What upsets me the most is that baseball was screaming about money (that they don't need), the injustice of drug tests (if they aren't using then what's the problem???) and long term contracts (be thankful you're even in the majors boys), while teachers across the US (Washington specifically) are fighting for stability and respect. They educate our children, and us, and inspire creativity and individualism. What does baseball do? It costs us money, while screaming for more and teaches our children that if they take the right kinds of drugs and whine loud enough, they too can make the big bucks. Oh yeah, and it entertains us... :silly:... right. :|

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Watch John Q ...
Yeah but the doctor wasn't the bad guy in that movie. He *did* give the correct recommendation. It was the admin girl & the insurance company that were putting on the brakes.

In the next 10 years watch doctors salaries plummet.
I think they did long ago. I once asked a guy "Do you know anyone who does cheap guitar repair"? He said "No, and I don't want to". Wise words indeed. But if you'd rather have the discount guys doing your open-heart, that's your biz. I'll take the expensive guy every time. ;)

All I'm saying is that if they were making the big $, they wouldn't have to be "prostitutes for the insurance companies", would they? Anyway, that's not completely accurate. My ex-girflriend's father used to pay $100,000 /yr in malpractice insurance and that was almost 10 yrs ago! Who's getting raped by who? Follow the daisy chain, you'll find people/patients at one end and lawyers & business at the other. Doctors are in the middle. You can't excuse unethical behavior, but you forgot to mention HMO's, pharmacuetical companies and injury lawers all conspiring to turn doctors into pawns. Ethics and $ are definitely in conflict. It's much easier to act ethically and not fall into that system where people are treated like commodities when you're not worrying about $.

As far as athletes go. If they can get the check let them get it. IF you dont like it quit watching the games.
Agreed (completely). That's why I've been boycotting for the last 15 yrs. Hey, watch it on tv if you like, just don't give em any of your $. It's all economics.

I personally feel database people get paid way to much!
Now, why would you say that after everything else you just said? Isn't the job market clearly supply & demand? We don't have a union or lobbying groups. Don't IT people "deserve the right to make as much as they can" too? :thumb:

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I was wondering about this last night - If we IT people were to strike, take a few weeks off from work, just who would work those fancy machines we call computers. ;)

It takes many years to become a so called IT professional, anyone can code, but to understand all the good stuff that goes with it takes some effort, data flow analysis, Entity relation design, development lifecycle etc, hey maybe a union is what we need, ain't going to take no more buck from the ancy nancy financial types who keep pulling the purse strings, nor the consulting companies who use us like prostitutes .... nah, now I'm sounding like a nancified baseball player :p :eek:

Riz, you are a man of contradictions, would you ever allow any of your employees to dictate the terms of their employment ? .... hmmm ;) !!!

Last edited:

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
Here's my two cents. Put a salary cap on baseball, expand revenue sharing, and lower ticket prices and vending items inside the park. I'm a Cardinal fan and if a family of four goes to a game you would spend ten dollars to park, thirty-five dollars per ticket(unless you get bleacher), four dollars for a hotdog, and four dollars for a coke. Price about one hundred eighty five dollars....I think I should strike because I don't make enough..

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Well I dont have any full time yet. Just part timers I use as business dictates.

I am not a man of contradictions necessarily. Just different situations have different answers.

Me personally, I heard the word Union I would start firing people. I think of it as this. You strike if you want. If I can find someone to do your job, you can keep striking. The unions just make things complicated.

Doctors are in the middle. You can't excuse unethical behavior, but you forgot to mention HMO's, pharmacuetical companies and injury lawers all conspiring to turn doctors into pawns.

I agree, but let me ask you a question. If I pay Bundu to shoot you, and he does. Is he guilty or am I?

Top Bottom