94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Wow, another real fast race only this one was much more challenging. The dust was horrible as i made my way around the track in practice. The entire course was made up from the morning 4 wheelers race and the pulverized the ground into flour type dust and churned up rocks everywhere. I have driven on gravel roads with less rock then this course had. The course was made up of short trails in the woods followed by high speed fields with the last sped section blowing right by the pits. As we finished practice, the batboy was heading down that straight pinned. As the 80 was shrieking down the lane he hit a rock and cart wheeled down the pit road. After a frantic check of his body he was(and mom) were ready to let him ride. He mangled the bars and tore up his front brake so we had some bike surgery to do. He had bruises all over and hit his tail bone pretty hard. After 1 race lap he was done and for once I didn't harangue him as he was sore.

Anyway, we were row 4 and I knew I had to get out front quick as the dust would take its toll on any back markers. I rounded the 1st turn in 2nd behind the teacher. He immediately put on a blistering pace but I hung with him. I ate dust for several miles but hung on waiting for an opprtunity to pass. Coming up a gravel uphill and making a tight left the teacher wadded it up. I got around and fired away. By this point we had passed every rider in the class in front of us and were catching some of the A riders. I knew I had a fast pace and kept it coming. I passed A rider Carl near the end of the first lap and held him off for most of the 2nd. But I pressed 2 hard and was burnt out and my bike was not running passed 1/2 throttle because the filter was plugged. I was running a filter skin but did not have the pull string attached. I held on for first until the end of the 2nd lap and the teach caught me in a field. I jump back into the fray but still couldn't keep the bike on the throttle. I faded to 3rd when Elston caught me on the 4th lap. I finished close behind him at the end of the 5th lap. 3rd in class, 30th overall. Very tired and very dirty. the course got the bst of me yesterday!

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I would hate to see what my filter looks like after yesterday...geez, what a punishing race. I actually got a good start for a change, and had some clean air for awhile. On the first lap I took the lead in my class, first time ever in a Missouri race. Somehow I held on to the lead for the whole race, another first. Didn't feel like I was riding any faster than normal, but kept it consistent. On the run through the creek bed, there were some spectators off to the right, beside some standing water, and I plowed through in third gear, stuck out my right foot in the water and gave them all a bath. That was cool. I fell one time, on the last lap just past that same creek bed section, partly because some course marshals on ATV's were just ahead of me, and their dust concealed a rut, just enough for me to slide out around a corner. Otherwise, everything was good.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Dang John, you beat me by a couple of minutes and you were riding further back in the yuck than I was! excellent ride, my hats off to ya!

Top Bottom