jat250wr

Nov 18, 2005
Velo was making a trip out to meet his fellow Husaberg riders and invited me to go along.

I started the day Friday with Monitor and Merrimac. Lots of fun rock ledges to jump off of, lol. I could hardly keep the front end down on that stuff. The ride also included some kick ass sand washes. I very speedily passed others in the washes and corners. It so rocked!! Before I knew it, at was at the front of the group. Woohoo. All the recent sand riding I’ve been doing has finally paid off. I was able to haul ass and still be in total control. I even got asked by some of the guys what my secret was, lol.

After lunch, a few of us were still feeling frisky, so we decided to load up and try Poison Spider. There are certainly a few technical areas that gave some of us trouble. I was following another rider on a ledgy climb, and what do you know, he looses control and somehow manages to knock me off about a 6 foot drop, lol. Head first … with the bike following after me.

Of course there had to be like 15 or so other people there watching this whole thing unfold. All of the sudden a rush of guys came to give me a hand, lol. Musta been the pink goggles and blonde braid that gave me away. They all asked if I was ok and of course I told them I was just fine. Then someone asked if I was gonna give it another try. Yup. So now with everyone watching I get the bike kicked over and start my attempt. I just zipped right up it. I guess I got quite a cheer from the bottom. Note to self … no matter how confident you are about the riders skill in front of you, be prepared for flailing, lol.

So, at this point in the ride, one rider bails and the other went with him. So there are just 3 of us that continue to ride on.

Now we come across more ledgy rocks. Charles (the guy that gave me a good yard sale) gives the next section a go. He crashes a few times and decides that he’s gonna need some help at some point. The Welsh fellow ( I can’t remember his name) gives it a go and makes it just fine. Then he rides Charles’ bike up it no problem too. Now it’s my turn. I manage to get half way up it and stall. Poor me, lol. At least I caught myself and avoided another yard sale. We decide at this point to just lift my bike up the last ledge.

We then come across another ledgy area that kinda off camber. The Welsh fellow and Charles make it right up. I however manage to launch off the rock and decide that it would be kick ass to knock the gas cap off with my knee (all of this is in mid air mind you, lol) and go down in a shower of glory. Go big or go home I guess, lol. I and the Welsh fellow are scrambling to get the bike up and get the cap back on to save precious gas. (KTMs are known for the leaky cap and for the cap not fitting tightly. Only get a ¼ turn).

After we get things in order, I notice the Welsh fellows eyes are about as big as mine while we were reflecting on what the hell happened. Then the laughter set in. And of all the things to happen next, the Welsh fellow happens to notice that I squashed a lizard in the process of my yard sale. I said bs, but no, sure enough I had lizard carnage on my knee. Damn girls on KTMs are a danger to nature I tell ya, lol. At this point we’re all laughing uncontrollably. I decide to take a pic of the poor little lizard. I’ll try to get it posted, it’s quite entertaining.

We finally make it to the top and decide to play around a bit with some other trails. Found deep sand, more rocks, and heights. Did I mention I’m afraid of heights??!!

Well anyways, going down the rocks was much easier. Then we loaded up and headed back to camp.

Quite an interesting first day … next comes day two …

Last edited:

jat250wr

Nov 18, 2005
Day 2

We started Saturday’s ride with Kane Creek. Boy was that ever fun!! Dozens of creek crossings, deep sand, and a few technical rock areas. What a freakin blast.

Well, this is until my clutch went out, lol. I finally got to the bottom of a downhill and was able to get some help. Seems there was a small leak and some air got in. I was very lucky that at the moment some jeeps came by and I was able to get some brake fluid from them. What a nice group that was. We pretty much got the clutch back in working order so I could enjoy the rest of the ride. Riding without a clutch is different to say the least, lol.

After that delay, the trail turned into nothing but sandy, rocky, twisty creek crossings!! Awesome. You wanna talk about permagrin, sheesh!! I was hot on the tail of the rider in front of me. Boy did we ever have fun dicing it up. We finally hear the rest of the group ahead giving shouts of encouragement to go faster. Then coming out of a corner 2nd gear pinned I find out why. There was a very large creek crossing with lotsa water!! Damn did I ever get drenched!! It so rocked. Water went everywhere in a flagrant display, lol.

When myself and the guy I was chasin pulled up to where some of the group was parked and shut of our engines, the coolest thing happened. Right in front of everyone he shook my hand and said that was the most fun he’s had. And he also said that with Friday’s ride and today’s (Saturday’s) ride they could no longer tease the other guys about riding like a girl cuz now there was a girl that was smokin the boys, lol.

So after a break, we ride on. We rode more sandy, twisty creek crossings. It then turned out of the creek and on to an atv trail. We all stop to bs and let everyone catch up when we’re told we now have 2 drowned bikes. So a few from the group ride back to see how bad the bikes were. The rest of us just hung back. After some time goes by, all of us decide it’s probably best to go check on the 2 who got their bikes wet and the group who went to help.

The rest of us arrive and 2 of the guys already have one bike out. However the other bike was completely submerged so it was taking longer to get it back in working order. When I walked down to where the second bike was, the group already had it apart cleaning out all the mud and water. I have some pix of this too, I’ll try to get some posted soon. Then they finally get the bike fired over and its good to go.

At this point, most of the group decides it would be best to just take a main road out since time was an issue. We had to be at the Moab Brewery by 6 or 6:30 for the raffle and dinner. A few of us thought it would be faster to just go back the way we came, but majority rules. At least the road had some scenic parts. We all made it back to camp no problem.

So day 1 was full of yard sales and day 2 was full of bike issues. What would day 3 bring?

jat250wr

Nov 18, 2005
Day 3

Since both Velo and I haven’t been on a ride yet together this trip while in Moab, we decide that another ride before leaving town sounded like fun.

I remind the boy that it’s my 3rd day of riding so I’m pretty much wore out and beat up from previous yard sales. Something easy and scenic sounded good.

Well, word gets out and now besides Velo, there are 4 other A riders going on the ride too. Great. I remind the boy again, nothing hard. My arms are like goo.

Velo then reassures me that it’s an easy ride. The boy also mentions that there’s a minor spot or 2 that if I don’t want to ride my bike he’ll ride it for me. I should have known right there what I was in for. This is the same boy that sent me on Poison Spider, lol. I obviously was delirious and not thinking and processing info correctly, cuz I decided to go on the ride.

After riding the road for a time and some atv road we started out with the Top of the World. Umm, where’s the ralph smilie? Nothing but arm pounding rock ledges pretty much all the way to the look out. Did I already say I was tired?, lol. This would have been a much more enjoyable ride as a 1st or 2nd day … not a 3rd. When I finally reached the top and took my helmet and gloves off, I noticed that both hands and forearms were swollen … pretty much useless. I got real lucky that the group took a break up there for food and pix. I was wiped out. Right there I told the boy I was a little disgusted with him. I had already mentioned to him before the ride I was not up for a hard ride. I was also not sold on the idea of the fast A riders on a “leisure” ride. When the hell do fast A riders slow down when you put 2 or more together? Easy, doesn’t happen, lol. I then reiterate to the boy that my arms can’t take much more. The boy then kinda shyly says something to the effect of he didn’t remember it being that rocky. Oops.

Now we start part 2 of the ride which was Onion creek or something. I’m sure the boy will chime in to correct me.

At first it was pretty much a fun twisty atv kinda road that had 1 long rocky climb. I made it through some loose crap just fine. As I’m thinking I just might make it, I hit a big rock and get squirrelly … feet off the pegs gives no traction or control, lol. So I end up stalling. At least I didn’t crash or tip over. Brendon, (I think that’s his name) the sweep rider, gives it a go and gets just barley past me, however he somehow manages to crash and down he goes. (At this point I’m feeling horrible cuz somehow he got elected to be the sweep rider. He should have been up with the rest of the A riders and left me to manage on my own.)

Now the boy walks down and rides my bike up the last part. Once I walk up to the top, I ask if there’s much more of this ledgy loose stuff. He mentions a particular downhill and says that’s it. Smooth sailing after that.

So finally I get to the ledgey downhill and take a look at it. It really didn’t look too over my head, but I knew I was tired and I just was not comfortable with the other riders in the group. One word … intimidated. If I would have been with the group of people I rode with on Friday or Saturday, I woulda totally rode it. So I humiliated myself and had the boy ride my bike down it while I walked. Sweet.

After the downhill part, it’s pretty much just an atv type rode that winds back and forth with some small creek crossings. I couldn’t even muster up the energy to have fun with the creek crossings. Sheesh, I was worn out.

At some point, we turn off to the right and follow the creek. While riding in the twisty creek, all of the sudden you notice the huge walls that are on either side of you. Freakin cool!! It felt like you were riding in a tunnel of some kind. And by adding the sound of water and engines made it surreal, lol. It was awesome. Only problem was no pix. The boy kinda forgets that some of us have never seen this stuff before. Oh well, there will be many trips in the future. I’ll make sure to stop whether he does or not next time and get some cool pix, lol.

We finally arrive back at the truck and it’s all I can do to just get off of the bike. You know it’s bad when you try to swing your leg off of the bike and it barely clears allowing you to save face. Then we had a 9 hour drive ahead.

All in all, it was an awesome trip to Moab. I do however wish we coulda rode back up Kane Creek rather than just down it. There would have been 1 pretty technical spot that I woulda gave a go at. Maybe the next trip out I’ll get another chance. I definitely want to give Poison Spider another try too. See if it’s possible for me too not look like a goon, lol.

April’s trip to Moab will give me another chance to re-ride these areas. Otoh, there’s so much I haven’t ridden yet, I kinda want to explore more before repeating what I’ve already done. Poison Spider for sure tho, lol.

5 more weeks and I’ll be in Moab again. Woohoo!!

Top Bottom