Moberly Night MX Round 2

B

biglou

Round two of Moberly, MO's night series and things were good for the most part. Hotter than heck until sundown, about 98 degrees. Mr. Luckey made the trip over from St. Louis, so him, Al and I gave it our best shot. Steve had changed the track up a bit to include a couple of sizeable jumps that weren't there last time. Walking the track, they looked big. And steep. From the bike, they looked bigger, and steeper, of course. Couple rounds of practice showed that they were rollable, but barely. Better to jump out and flat land them, really. Things went well, and in the second moto, we had a red flag start when a rider jumped the "gate" (rubber band start), so we got to do it all over again! I manage to go from about third to dead last in a matter of two turns, but that all changed when a kawi stopped, got plowed by Al, then Al gets plowed by Ed. Lou takes the outside route, and jumps ahead from 5th to 3rd just like that. Problem was, Mr. Luckey was all over me in short order and maaged to to get by me after about three laps of dicing and block passing. I think he had a pretty good time for a woods guy! Anyhoo, looks like Al has hurt his ankle and was unable to finish. Extent of damage is unknown. I'll have to give him a call later on today. End result: Al goes 2/5 for 5th O/A. Ed goes 3/3 for 2nd O/A, and I went 4/4 for 3rd O/A. Great time for everyone, except for Al in the last moto. We've made some pretty good friends at this series. Everyone is very cool. Helped a fellow 250 beginner get his bike ready just in time to make moto2 after he blew his rear brake line out.

Round three is next weekend. How 'bout it Ed? :)

Pics and video follow, you probably have to be signed in to Yahoo! to view the vid. Right click the link and then "Save Target As". Enjoy.

Moto2: (see below for updated video links)

Is that MC on my tail? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Cool stuff Lou :thumb:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
WooHoo - Now THAT was a good time. For quite awhile before the races I was wondering how in the world I let anyone talk me into entering an MX race. Ended up having a total blast, except for plowing into Al. One thing I really liked about the MX race as opposed to my normal HS was all the time you get to spend bench racing and meeting people in between practices, motos etc. The first moto was an absolute blast as we all had a great battle back and forth for the whole moto. Got home about 2 am and finally unloaded the bike around noon today :)

I had a great time guys. I'll see what I have going on next weekend and let you know Lou. Thanks for being my personal moto teacher :thumb:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Moto! :aj:

So, Mister Eduardo "I ain't ever dropped a gate at a real motocross race." Fortunado lucked out and got 2nd overall?

Sandbagger. . . :think:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
HA - Still haven't dropped a gate :) Some big rubber band thingy came whipping by though. It was only after we sat on the line for 2+ minutes both times though. Besides this was serious stuff, I took off my barkbusters and everything!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Those rubber bands can be dangerous. You coulda lost an eye. :scream:

Glad you guys had a safe, fun race. Nice work!

B

biglou

Here's some Hi-Res vid from moto 1. The sound drops out, and I had to extract this vid from the camera disc as it had some errors, hence the sound issue. You can see Al and Ed battling, with me in tow. I'd close up, then fall back. Never did get close enough to put a move on either of them.

Click

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Looks like a great time. The low res video makes it look rather dark. Was it that dark when you were riding? Nice hardware you guys got, Im sure there on the fireplace mantle already.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Cool! Trophys for all makes for a good time even better! :yeehaw: :thumb:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The second moto is was pretty dark, especially on the start chute, not too bad on most of the track but there were enough shadows to make it very interesting :yeehaw:

B

biglou

Oops! :o Correction to my first post-I went 4/4 for 4th overall. Double checked the score myself. I must have been oxygen-defficient after that last moto and loading the bikes and all. Looks like I'll be trading in that trophy for a slightly smaller one this Saturday!

But guess what-That still puts me and Al tied for 1st place in that series. Who'da thunk it? Find out this afternoon if it was a season-ending injury on Al's ankle. I wanna say, "I hope it's not. Really..." :p :laugh:

rfs mike

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2002
Hey. Great shots and video. Great job on race. That looks like a mx track "I" could ride. Do I "have" to take off my bark busters though?
Where is Moberly? I'm out of town this weekend. Are there any more latter.
Always wanted to try an mx.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
RFS - nah you dont have to take off the barkbusters, one of the other woods guys that came out to try it left his on and I think got 3'rd. Not sure how many of those mx'rs laughed but who cares. I left the mounts on my bars and used athletic tape for #'s since the HS I race in use rf tags and I've been too lazy to put real numbers on. Matter of fact the right side background (white) blew off on the ride down there so I had black athletic tape numbers on the front and left side and white athletic tape for #'s on the right side.

Moberly is 15-25 miles basically straight north of Columbia, MO.

I think there are 3-4 more races in the night series, I will for sure miss at least one but if you are interested drop me a line. Maybe we could carpool or load up in 1 truck for the trek.

Lou has a website and directions. We'd love to have more company!

Last edited:
Top Bottom