kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
CAn I use mobil 1 15w-50 in my kdx gearbox? My dad uses it in his wr400, so could it work on my kdx. Mobil is about 3 dollars cheaper than bel-ray clutch saver, so i could savce a little money with it. Thanks:)

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I use Mobil 1 15w50 and have no problems. Do not use Mobil 1 10w30 because it has additives that could cause your clutch to slip.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
What he said.

The beauty of the Mobil 1 15W50 is you can have a case of it or the gallon jugs Wal Mart sells on hand for both the 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes.

I run Castrol GTX 10W40 in my XR280 just for principle - cheap good oil in a cheap good bike!!

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I've heard that you should not use automobile oil in motorcycle gearboxes. Supposedly, this is because they lubricate too well (which somehow interferes with clutch performance). If that is the case, I'd expect Mobile 1 to be worse that regular motor oil. This is because, as a synthetic, it's super-slippery.

Have I been mislead?

--EBOD

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
The manual actually states to use regular auto oil. You just can't use the kind with "friction modifiers". Makes clutch slip. The Mobil1 15-50 is the best to use IMO. The other Mobil1 weights have the energy saving friction modifiers you can't use. The beauty of the synthetic is that you can go a little longer in between changes cause it doesn't break down as quickly as regular dino oils. I said a little longer......its still important to change tranny oil frequently.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
EBOD,

There have been a zillion threads on this subject on DRN.

The short answer to your question is "YES".

Narrow up your question some to center on certain brands and weights. There are auto oils that can cause problems with your wet clutch, most of which are 5w30 Energy Conserving oils. These tend to have a spike of magnesium in their additive pack.

Do some searches and read up on the topic if you like, or just put it out of your mind and run the Mobil 15w50 red cap. No blue or green cap Mobil 1 bottles.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I too use Mobil 1 15W50 & recomend it highly. I change oil at about 150 miles as shifting may deteriorate slightly at longer intervals in my bike.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The only trouble I've had with Mobil 1 15w-50 was some trouble with my kickstarter engagement when it was cold out. According to WoodsRider - who got this directly from Fredette - the thicker oil can cause kickstarter engagement problems at cold temperatures when the oil is thickest. That's exactly what I experienced and changing to a thinner oil immediately fixed the problem. Never had any trouble with Mobil 1 15w-50 in the summer. Other than that, it's a great oil, if a bit expensive. If I was only changing my oil twice a year, that's what I'd use. However, if you are changing your oil every other ride it is probably expensive overkill.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by BRush
If I was only changing my oil twice a year, that's what I'd use. However, if you are changing your oil every other ride it is probably expensive overkill.

I disagree. The main benefits of this oil are 1) improved shifting action, 2) improved clutch action, and 3) increased protection.

The possible extended change interval that applies in other applications has little benefit here. The clutch still is going to shed a similar amount of material, and since the gearbox has no filters this needs to be removed via changing the oil.

Who runs their tranny oil until it "breaks down" anyway?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Mobil 1 15W-50

I just want say say that I agree with TexKDX 100% Anything he has said above I echo.

I use it in everything!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Me too

I just started with Mobil 1 15-50. I used Castrol GTX 10w-40 last summer but decided that I wanted even more protection now that I'm developing more horespower this year with the mods I've done. I change my oil every 100 miles or 2 rides. I get it by the case for $21.98 at Sams club.

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by TexKDX
Who runs their tranny oil until it "breaks down" anyway?

Believe it or not, I know a few people who do :) . I tend to change oil frequently. I'm not saying Mobil 1 15w-50 isn't a good oil. I used it for awhile because it produced very smooth shifting, but at the risk of going against the grain: If you change oil every ride, or every other ride the extra protection from Mobil 1 over say, Castrol 10w-40 just is just not going to be an issue. So it comes down to the other two items you mentioned: clutch action and shifting smoothness. If Mobil 1 is the only oil that does it for you, by all means use it - but if you are happy with the shifting smoothness and clutch action of some "lesser" oil, then why not use it and save a few bucks? At least for me, there are other oils that result in nearly the same shifting smoothness at about 25% of the cost.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
Thanks for the info, I be using mobil 1 in my kdx, no more 6 dollar a quart crap. Now when should I change my oil, every 2,3,4 rides, I can get mobil 1 for 2.15 a quart at target.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by BRush
The only trouble I've had with Mobil 1 15w-50 was some trouble with my kickstarter engagement when it was cold out. According to WoodsRider - who got this directly from Fredette - the thicker oil can cause kickstarter engagement problems at cold temperatures when the oil is thickest.
Exactly! I had the same kickstarter engagement problem as BRush. I happened to be arrowing trails with Jeff that day so I asked him thinking I would have to sink more $'s into my KDX. His response was typical Jeff:
You run that expensive Mobil stuff, right? Just use plain old 10-40, the cheap stuff. You'll never have a problem.
I switched and never had another engagement problem. My '96 200 had all the Fredette modifications and it had been ridden hard for five enduro seasons.

Top Bottom