Mods vs Rockers Vintage Motorcycle show

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The third annual Chicago Ton-Up Club's Mods vs Rockers Vintage Motorcycle show was held yesterday in the streets surrounding Delilah's Bar. This is a really fun show with tons of cool bikes and fun motorcycle people. It's one of the many great reasons to live in Chicago. :cool:

I took about 350 shots all told, which means I'll probably have about 6 or 10 keepers. :whoa:

I'm sorting through them and will be posting them in a gallery on my website (link below) over the next week or so but for now here's just a little taste.

A gorgeous Vincent that was ridden not trailered to the show.

Vincent_1_sep.jpg

MVR07_2271.jpg

BSA vs Triumph rivals till the end
MVR07_2356.jpg

The full gallery :
http://www.chicagostories.net/Ton_Up_2007/

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Generations of Ducatis were in attendance

MVR07_2282.jpg

MVR07_2368.jpg

MVR07_2367.jpg

MVR07_2351.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Even BMW was represented.

MVR07_2353.jpg

MVR07_2254.jpg

Evan Wilcox, Metal Shaping Genius

MVR07_2255.jpg

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Dave - I drove my Hot Rod Dodge but only because I wanted to carry a LOT of gear to make sure I had everything I needed and wanted a secure place to stow it as I swapped back and forth. . There were a couple of quick rain showers during the day but it didn't dampen the festivities. People just took cover, kept partying, and waited for it to dryout again, which given the temps didn't take long. All in all it was a fantastic day.

MVR07_2337.jpg

MVR07_2331.jpg

MVR07_2329.jpg

Last edited:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Gorgeous gorgeous selection Rich! :)

There are a few others on your gallery that are worthy of a post here as well. However, you've certainly culled a great selection with these. :cool:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Rich, despite our personal opinions of each other, I must say great pics. My only criticism is in the delivery of the first one. In he introductory text you pointed out the Triumph which drew my attention to that fact that the depth of field blurred that part of the image. Had you not mentioned it, I would not have been distracted by it. Otherwise, the pic (and all the rest) are great.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
FruDaddy said:
In he introductory text you pointed out the Triumph which drew my attention to that fact that the depth of field blurred that part of the image. Had you not mentioned it, I would not have been distracted by it.

What you consider a "distraction" I consider the "meaning" of the picture. I used a wide open f-stop because it's supposed to be blurred. During BSA's years they always had to contend with Triumph lurking in the background. Real motorcycle guys who have seen the picture all managed to "get it", so I'm satisfied that I got what I was looking for.

I'm pretty sure anyone who knows the history will "get it" with or without the text because they will recognize the Triumph logo and the long standing rivalry. For those who don't know the history, it's still a nice colorful image of an old style helmet.

Sorry if it was too subtle for you. Frankly I'm more interested in guys like Ol89r "getting" it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Sorry if it was too subtle for you. Frankly I'm more interested in guys like Ol89r "getting" it.

I most certainly got it Rich. Right down to the cafe style handlebars, limey half-hats and rain drops on the Lucas headlight shell. Makes me want to run right out and buy a pint of bitters. :cool: :nod: All of your photos tell such a great story.

I about peed my pants on the Vincent shot.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
I about peed my pants on the Vincent shot.

It was even tougher to show any control standing next to it. It made most of the bikes around it look like toys. The Vincent was perfect, but had the wear marks that can only come from being RIDDEN. I was so happy to see it wasn't a trailer queen.
I hung around till the owner fired it up and rode it away. I had to hear that sound, and it was worth the wait.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
Nice work Rich, I really dig the black Ducati tank shot in the middle of the other two tanks, great use of the DOF on that one.

Thanks Doug. Shots like that prove to me that fast glass is really worth the money. ;)

In fact I took your advice and pulled the trigger on the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 lens. I wanted it specifically for events like this, and it didn't disappoint. I wanted to go with the Nikon 28-70 f2.8 pro lens, but at three times the price of the Sigma I can't see it being much better than the shots I got with mine. :cool:

Last edited:

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Awesome shots Rich. I love old bikes like these, but unfortunately I don't know anything about them. We have a huge antique boat, car and bike show in my home town, but I usually miss it every year because I am at a race somewhere. I think this year I will make a point to make it to get some cool shots like these.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
WOW, I just read that these were with the Sigma 24-70. I just made a recommendation on that lens in the non-moto side of this board. Great lens for the money. Hell, great lens for any money.

Do you have the macro version?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Squid31 said:
WOW, I just read that these were with the Sigma 24-70. I just made a recommendation on that lens in the non-moto side of this board. Great lens for the money. Hell, great lens for any money.

Do you have the macro version?

I'm a sucker for Macro shots so it was an easy decision. ;)

I added about 50 more pictures to the site if anyone is interested.

www.chicagostories.net/Ton_Up_2007/

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
[QUOTE=Rich Rohrich
I added about 50 more pictures to the site if anyone is interested.

Very cool Rich. :cool:

I love the black Triumph with the side shifter and pedal kick starter. :whoa: What the hell was that guy thinkin'? :yikes:

He wanted a Harley so bad, he messed up a good Triumph to get one. ;) :laugh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
I love the black Triumph with the side shifter and pedal kick starter. :whoa: What the hell was that guy thinkin'? :yikes:

He wanted a Harley so bad, he messed up a good Triumph to get one. ;) :laugh:

There is no accounting for personal expression. :whoa:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Rich,
Nice work! Many of the pictures really tell a story of contrasts. Lots of interest for us viewers.

The fancy glass might be a small factor. More importantly, you've got a good eye and no small amount of talent.

Looks like the Mods have buried their Lambrettas and replaced them with Ducatis. :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dirt bike dave said:
Looks like the Mods have buried their Lambrettas and replaced them with Ducatis. :)

Thanks for the kind words Dave.
The Mods were there in force, but I make it a point not to shoot any of them. It really seems to annoy the hell out of them when they KNOW I'm ignoring them, which for me is half the fun. ;)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Awesome pics Rich, I have no interest in phtography but I sure like the subject. The Vincent was awesome. The blue Ducati brought back memories. I had a friend as a kid who's dad had several of that era bikes. His basement was full of parts but he never rode them.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Offroadr said:
Awesome pics Rich, I have no interest in phtography but I sure like the subject. The Vincent was awesome.

Jay - The Black Shadow was even better in person when I got to hear it run. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bspeed said:
very enjoyable rick, thanks for braving the weather

LOL, yeah it's pretty tough to get me out on a hot summer day in Chicago to hang out with fun motorcycle people. :rotfl:

It could have been raining flaming monkeys and I wouldn't have left early.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
We were talking about the the Ton Up show today at work and it reminded me on one of my favorite pictures from last year. It's not a great picture from a technical standpoint but it does a pretty good job of telling the story of the show and it's many contrasts.

MVR07_2390.jpg

Top Bottom