Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
I had a great weekend in Montana, and since I enjoy reading posts about everyone's ride reports, I thought perhaps I should contribute, too.

My husband and I went to Glendive, Montana which is about 200 miles from where we live in Mandan, North Dakota. When we arrived, I thought the area was spectacular. It looked like the badlands with some gradual hills and some terrifying hills, too. We met the most friendly riders right away when we pulled into the parking area who were willing to show us the trails. I looked at the terrain and was nearly freaked out because everything looked so rocky and full of hills. I do not have much hill experience at all, so this was my opportunity to try them out.

We unloaded the bikes and rode around the area just to get the feel of the terrain. I was amazed at how well my little KTM 200 got up some of the rocky, and what felt to me like steep uphills. I was smiling under my helmet big time at how well I was doing. Of course I dumped the bike numerous times attempting some hills, but I kept at it and defeated a few. My husband rode my bike and decided the handlebars needed to be adjusted up. Once he did that, what a difference the handling made!

Four riders from Montana offered to show us an enduro trail that they had made. I felt up to the challenge, so off we went, all six of us. Me being the only gal, I rode near the back of the pack. There were fun uphills and some really fun tight, twisty trails through trees. I was proud of myself for keeping them all in sight. Then at one point, the rider in front of me just disappeared! What's with that? Well, there was a nasty straight downhill that was very, very steep and what felt like straight down :eek: Before I could freak, I just did it. I went down and stopped before bashing into a tree, but nonetheless, I did it! :cool: Another experience under my belt.

By this time, I'm a little shaken but willing to forge ahead. The order of riders got changed around a little bit, but I never did have to be last. I'm really grateful that they guys seem to watch out for me and make sure I get through the hairy, gnarly stuff. We proceeded on through some beautiful canyons and really muddy, slippery gumbo -- that's what the locals called it anyway. I discovered that if I kept on the gas and didn't slow too much I did okay. The minute I slowed down, I seemed to make the back tire get stuck in a hole it created. I managed to get unstuck when that happened and learned not to slow down after that.

Towards the end of the trail I was getting tired and the guys knew it, so they led me to an easier area to get out of the tiresome, nerve wrenching trail that we were on. All in all it was a new and fun experience. I look forward to going back and tackling the steeper hills next time and working towards finishing the enduro trail without as many problems. I'm sure learning a lot about different terrain and how the bike handles a little differently on each surface.

Lisa
'99 KTM 200 EXC

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Great report, Lisa. Very good experience to ride in as many different types of terrain as possible. Sometimes we get too comfortable in our own "backyards", and need the challenge that new terrain provides.

Don't worry about that pumpkin 200-- it will get you through just about anything, and won't let you down. Mine hasn't. :)

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Way to go Lisa :) Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on a great ride and many accomplishments. By the sounds of it, it'll be a day you won't forget for the right reasons. ;)
Michelle

N

NdKxRacer

North Dakota

Hello Lisa, I am from North Dakota too. I live in Williston. Do you ever go to the races that the NDMA (North Dakota Motorcycle Association) holds? I am currently racing the 80-B class on a 2000 KX 100. I would like to meet you. My Name is Matt CLemetson and I am 13 years old my racing # is 04. My dad's webpage is http://216.235.174.38 It is for Sundowners Motocross here in Williston.

NDMA's webpage is http://cyclehutt.com
Please email me, mx_iz_4_me@hotmail.com:cool:

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
Matt: Hello! Great to hear from another ND rider. I have only been to one of the NDMA motocross races. Last year I was at the race in Bismarck and was the "trophy girl" I got to meet lots of the riders by handing out the hole shot awards and t-shirts that Cycle Hutt here in Bismarck sponsored. Be sure to checkout cyclehutt.com

Were you in Dickinson last weekend? if so, How did you do? I don't race at all. I ride with my husband and with a bunch of other guys from the Bismarck/Mandan area.

When and where is the next race you will be at? I'll have to try to attend so we can meet and I can watch you race.

Lisa
200 KTM E/XC

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Great report Lisa. Glad to hear you had a good ride. The scenery sounds really great. Keep those reports coming, I love to hear them! :)

HFHodson

Jun 18, 2006
Lisa, sounds like a fun place to go. I am a WAY beginner living in Dickinson! We have been out once to the Desert. We would love to try Glendive. Where exactly is it?

Top Bottom