D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
How much gas capacity/range is needed? What kind of tires are best suited for the terrain? I need to decide which bike to bring.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
D-36
Last year we did one loop of 50+ miles. We would have done more, but it was getting dark and one guy ran out of gas. You could actually ride right back into Reno from out there. The bigger the tank the better. I can go about 70 miles out there on my exc.
As far as tires go, I've ridden out there with intermediate and soft terrain tires and either works well. I would recomend heavy duty tubes as always.

Is 108 your d-36 number?

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Almost, 108A is my D36 #. (And the A has nothing to do with any class, I assure you.) Fifty miles, huh? Guess my 2.0 gal CR250 is out of the question unless I get a big tank.

Seventy miles on a KTM is impressive. I don't think my EXC will go that far on a piston.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
You will be fine with a 2.0 gal tank. All loops could be brought back to the pits with no let down in difficulty or fun.

Any knobby works well out there (moonrocks), if the ground is moist. I can almost assure you the ground will be moist.

What EXC did you have? 50 miles on a piston. Me on a YZ-80 will go more than 50 miles on a piston!

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
440 EXC. I've only put an hour of break-in on it since its most recent rebuild. I'd really like to ride it at Moonrocks and be king of the drag hill, if I can hold on.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
D36,

I check your float level. I had the same problem with my 94 440 EXC 30-35 miles on a tank of gas & then 2-3 miles on reserve. :scream:

I recently replaced the carb with a new 39 PWK (same as stock) & now my milage is back up to 45-50 per tank with a still ridiculous low of 5-7 on reserve.

My old carb had other issues, but in the end I noticed that the recomended float levels were a bit on the high side & I would always notice a gas smell while setting at the end of a trail. Once I set the floats 3mm lower The bikes milage increased dramatically & it stopped stalling on steep down hills.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
My problem wasn't fuel economy, it was piston economy. It ate a couple. I got the Dick's Racing motor mods done after my original piston broke and he recommended a Mikuni to solve jetting hassles, so I've got that on it now. Never had a problem with it stalling on downhills, except the time at Stonyford when it broke a piston.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by Strick
D36 - what do you ride now? I have a feeling it ISN'T orange.

....440'S are the original KTM color of white, with manly purple accents. ;)

fwiw, I'm bringing my 440 to Reno. The KX will need the break.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I ride either my KDX200 or CR250. It's looking like the CR for Moonrocks, but I so want to play King of the Hill with my 440 and talk shop with John. It's mostly white; I think they went orange in 97. Before the white/purple Katooms were white/mint green/red trim.

John I'll PM you about 440s if they ever make me a Subscriber. I just reviewed my 440 notebook and there was a tendency to stall on downhills on a couple rides. I'm curious about your carburetion.

Top Bottom