crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
Well I pulled my swingarm/linkage off my (new to me) 98.

Main bolt came out with just gentle tapping. Nothing like in this thread http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=84203 (although there is some light corrosion, need to see what the bolt looks like after I clean it up and if it's bad replace).

Definately needing replacement:
- left side swingarm - bearing/collar/seals
- linkage/lower shock - bearing/collar/seals
- linkage/center - bearing/collar/seals

A few questions:
1) How often does the upper shock bushing need replacing (I didn't remove the shock fully yet)? I notice the Pivot Works shock kit includes both the lower bearing and the upper bushing but the much cheaper Moose (A29-1002 shock lower) kit just includes the lower bearing.

2) In this thread kdx220freak claims "can get the [Moose] swingarm and linkage bearings for a kit of $85" http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=123283

When I looked, the Moose swingarm (A28-1064) was around $45 and the Moose Linkage (A27-1036) was around $80. Pretty similar to the PivotWorks kits. Is there a way cheaper source as otherwise I'm considering just replacing the above only with OEM.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
I think the OEM might be more. I just did all my bearings and I went with the Moose linkage kit and bought the OEM shock bearing (was not cheap). Not all my bearings were worn but since I was there I just replaced them. I'm also in the habit of taking the rear apart and greasing the bearing every month or so just to keep them nice and lubed up. Check the OEM prices but I was pretty sure they were more expensive in the long run. If you only change those worn ones you will be creating an un-even wear scenario. Good luck with it.

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
m0rie said:
Get the All Balls sets from RockyMountain. They have the same exact bearings as the Moose sets. Cheaper too!

On the RockyMt site it says:

All Balls Linkage Bearing Kit $68.99

· Includes all the bearings in the link arm. · All the shafts in the link. · All the seals and spacers in the link and lower shock. · Also includes the lower shock bearing.

All Balls Shock Bearing Kit $18.99

· All of the kits include all seals, spacers and pins to rebuild the lower or upper shock link arm.

Question: If the Linkage set includes the lower shock seals and bearing then what is in the Shock Bearing Kit? Just the upper bushing?

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
StuckinJersey said:
If you only change those worn ones you will be creating an un-even wear scenario. Good luck with it.

OK. I'll replace all. Thanks!!

But my questions were mostly:

1) Does the upper bushing (on the shock) typically need to be replaced
2) Where did kdx220freak find Moose swingarm *AND* linkage bearings for $85?

Tony

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Question 1 - My upper shock bearing wasn't in bad shape either and typically they last longer than the linkage and swingarm. So if it's in good shape you probably have a ton of riding still left on it.

Question 2 - I never trust any prices giving to me online until they are billing to my credit card and at
that point I still scratch my head. haha. I did some searching Swing Bearings Kits run around 40-50
and Linkage kits 75-85. The upper shock bearing runs around $35.
Hope that helps.

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
m0rie said:
Get the All Balls sets from RockyMountain. They have the same exact bearings as the Moose sets. Cheaper too!
Probably because they are the same parts. # 281064 and 271036.

Allballsracing.com shows partsunlimited/moose as a distributor.

Moose shows part#s as A28-1064 A27-1036.

Of course freaking RockyMountain _never_ has anything in stock that I want, always 2 weeks+ out date which never actually turns out to be realistic. Grrrr.

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
What about from a bearing supply house?

Taking a bit of a tangent to my own question (mostly cos the Moose ones are backordered) .....

I've seen some references here and on the "other site" where people have suggesed going to a bearing supply store. Has anyone done this for their linkage/swingarm bearings? Are the inner sleeves (collars) and seals a generally available item also?

I ask only as if I could source locally I could probably get a much higher grade of bearing for the same cost.

I believe the Moose ones are uncaged although the only comments I've read about people advocating caged ones is so they can remove to regrease but I think they are a replace whenever removed type of item -- plus I have a grease gun with a very narrow point needle.

Tony

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
the reason the upper shock bearing lasts so much longer is that it's not exposed to dirt & water as much as the lower one. This makes sense, it's way up in front of the air box and therefore rarely gets wet.
I believe the lower shock bearing is way undersize for it's application. That's why it's the first to go.

Top Bottom