YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
Im looking at a 2001 KTM 400 with the added light kit. Im green in the KTM world. Anything I need to be aware of with KTM? Im just looking for a nice dual-sport bike. The guy said he added the 500.00 light kit and rode the bike last year to work. I think he changed the rear sprocket for traveling the roads. I want something that I can still ride when I want to trail ride. Its going to be an adjustment from the ol YZ. Any comments or advice would be great.
thanks guys

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
YZ/250 said:
Im looking at a 2001 KTM 400 with the added light kit. Im green in the KTM world. Anything I need to be aware of with KTM? Im just looking for a nice dual-sport bike. The guy said he added the 500.00 light kit and rode the bike last year to work. I think he changed the rear sprocket for traveling the roads. I want something that I can still ride when I want to trail ride. Its going to be an adjustment from the ol YZ. Any comments or advice would be great.
thanks guys

Does he have it titled and plated properly? Was it a 400SX, MXC, or EXC,, they have different gearing and the EXC came with lights but none of these were street legal to start with. No mirrors, turnsignals and such.. Also KTM racing 4-strokes have very small oil capacity which means very short oil change intervals (compared to most DS bikes) especially when used on the road regularly. The retail blue book for an EXC is $3555. There are oil cooler kits that make oil capacity about 50% larger, and fan kits for stop and go which help a lot. But if looking for a good all around DS a Suzuki DRZ400S may be better and you should be able to find an 04 for about the same price. Not as good off road but much better on the pavement.

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
I think its an exc, but I just been talking to him about the bike. I still have to go look at it. I do want to look at the title to make sure its correct. I'll let you know what I find out.
thanks

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
YZ/250 said:
I think its an exc, but I just been talking to him about the bike. I still have to go look at it. I do want to look at the title to make sure its correct. I'll let you know what I find out.
thanks

An SX is the full motocross bike, light flywheel, close ratio trans, and no lighting coil. MXC has the heavier flywheel and lighting coil but no lights, EXC adds the lights and has a wide ratio trans.. lower first, higher top gear, the ones in the middle same as the others.

Top Bottom