XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
a specification is a specification. If you don't have a "standard", what's the point? Let everyone run Nitro-methane if they want?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
While I might have some sympathy for arguments against the lead-content rule in another context, I think that it's a mistake to make that case after somebody has violated the rule. It comes out sounding like an excuse for the misconduct. Kawasaki knew the rule, and everybody else obeyed it. They were rightly penalized.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
Here is Kawasaki's response in regards to the fuel situation. Copied from Cycle News.

The following is a press release from Kawasaki:

Through independent lab testing conducted on behalf of Kawasaki it was determined that the trace amounts of lead found in the teams fuel supply following the AMA Motocross event at Budds Creek, Md., came from their DOT approved steel gas cans. After careful scrutiny into the type of materials used for the cans, the team discovered that the manufacturer of the cans used a lead based solder to seal the seams and filler neck of the cans. As a result, the lead leeched into the fuel causing it to fail the AMA fuel tests. According to the fuel can manufacturer, all storage cans produced after 2004 no longer contain the lead based solder.

Upon receiving the lab findings, Team Kawasaki replaced their fuel storage and delivery systems. The team will also continue to use the same type of racing fuel produced by VP Racing Fuels and is certain that VP’s production processes were not the cause of the contamination.

“We are very pleased to come to the bottom of this,” said Mike Fisher, Kawasaki’s motocross team manager. “VP Racing Fuels are leaders in the industry and we appreciate their support through this process. We did several tests on the fuel and the new cans and we are confident that the results of our findings have determined the source of the lead contamination.”

Nephron nailed it. The AMA is nothing but a bunch of yes men who bow to the whims of CCE and the FIM.

P.S- The fuel rule is horse flop and the AMA SUCKS! :|

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The AMA said Kawasaki was 'significantly over' the lead spec. I'm not sure how solder in a fuel can that has been used for years could put you way over the requirement. Seems like the AMA may have been exagerating...

Maybe the AMA will accept Kawasaki's findings and give Bubba and Byrne their 25 points back.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Kawasaki could be lying. But if they are, they will look pretty foolish if the AMA releases the test and re-test results showing they were way over the lead limit.

I would be surprised Big Green and VP would go through the trouble of making up such a story when it would be so easy for the AMA to prove them liars.

Top Bottom