More Greenie Propaganda at School - Time to Write

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I was just perusing my son's Scholastic News (the little magazine that he gets at school - 4th grade) from April 15, 2002 and there is an article called "Protect MY Park". The article discusses the state of our National Parks and the TOP 10 ENDANGERED NATIONAL PARKS according to National Parks Conservation Association. The author Fiona McCormack states that:

"During the winter, illegal snowmobilers release harmful fumes as they zoom through Yellowstone National Park, scaring the bison, wolves, and grizzly bears that live there."

(I logged into the Scholastic site but couldn't get the article to come up, apparently only certain portions of the past magazines are available online. I will try to scan it later & post it.)

If you are a member of Blue Ribbon Coalition, you should have received your latest BRC Mag by now and it has a story about the improvements being made at Yellowstone. It also has an article about the lies the Greenies use - and here is one being told to all of our children.

I wrote to Adena Cook at BRC about the article and she replied:

I am familiar with the article, and yes, we have contacted Scholastic Magazine. To make a long story short, they said they were sorry and would issue a correction/retraction in their next Teachers' Guide. Of course, the damage has been done, but something's better than nothing. You should protest as you outlined in your note. The more they hear from, the better chance we have of stopping this kind of thing in the future.

We all need to write to Scholastic News and tell them how we feel about this! Check with your kids and see if they get this magazine at school.

Here is the link for the archived copy of the April 15, 2002 Issue:
Click here

To write to the author:

Fiona McCormack
c/o Scholastic Inc.
555 Broadway
New York, NY 10012-3999

I would also copy it to the Editor at the same address, using Editor in place of Fiona's name

Also, email Scholastic News about this:
Click here

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Dang ol' Earth day a couple weeks ago, and Pred2 comes home with a brain bucket full of propaganda (first grade!). I don't hold it against his teacher (a nice enough gal) as much as the cirriculum forced on her by our ******* (D'OH! okay, "left-leaning") school district. Y'know, I got nothing against recycling and planting trees and making compost, etc. etc., but cripes, give it a rest!

Besides, li'l Pred knows better. He likes hunting and riding too much to get turned to the dark side! :)

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Unfortunately this bull filters it's way down to the general public and they get the idea that motorized recreationalists don't care about the environment. Outside of the typical motorcycle rags I've only read one article that showed off-road motorcyclists in a positive light. I don't remember the mag, but it was an article on the '99 ISDE Qualifier Enduro at Loretta Lynn's.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Our first three sons were schooled in the public school system and we fought to disprove all the crap they were indoctrinated with at school. They all graduated and are doing well but still have some funky ideas about the way things are supposed to be. The youngest we decided to send to private school and are very happy with the results. No more of the left leaning propaganda. We meet with the teachers monthly and they cover what the curriculum will be for the next 30 days and if there is a problem you have a chance to address it ahead of time. The federal govt. and the NEA controls what kids get in the public schools and they definitely get a biased outlook on the world. :|

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Amen Senior.

I heard all of 30 seconds at our 4th grader's open house before I, ahem, helped them realize that perhaps they had been stating opinion as fact.

I swear -- our educational establishment has to be STOPPED! I know, I know, our kids are excelling, so let a little indoctrination slide on by. Oh, wait . . . . you say that our kids' skills are dropping at an alarming rate at the same time? .. . . You ask why, if they're not educating our kids, we should let them indoctrinate them? . . . .

Hmm. I'll have to find an answer to that one.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Sr. KX - I don't completely agree with your outlook. Personally I think it depends a lot on the school and it's administration. For Junior High, 78-80, I attended a private Chris-t-ian school. During this time Jimmy Carter was in office. Cambodian refugees, "boat people", were flocking to this country. We were in the "Cold War" with the Soviet Union. The hostage crisis in Iran began. Ronald Reagan began his bid for the Presidency.

I rememeber being forced, in English class, to write a letter to Jimmy Carter "complimenting him for opening our borders to allow Cambodian refugees into the U.S., wishing him the strength in dealing with the Soviets and the hostage crisis in Iran and good luck in the upcoming election." Mind you these were my teacher's and the administrations views, which completely contradicted my parents views. I refused to write the paper, received an "F" for the assignment and a "D" in English.

I also remember a teacher spewing something about Reagan being a "war monger" and he'll end up destroying the world in a nuclear holocaust.

In the fall of '80 I transferred back into public schools and found the attitude much different. Of course this school was in a conservative (read: snobby) area with above average incomes. The political views I found at home were more in line with that of the administration. I became a much better student as the result.

Last edited:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
You are right Woods. My post sounded like I was placing all public school and all private schools in their own group :D That was not my intention. I was speaking more from my experience. I am very happy with the way the school our little one goes to involves us in the curriculum and solicits our feedback. The public schools have PTA and other groups to involve parents but in my experience they patronize you and go on about their business :|

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The upper-level administration typically determines the curriculum that's taught in their schools. That's not to say an educators viewpoints don't make it's way into what they teach in the classroom.

What was even better was the fact that I attended a l_beral-arts college. Nothing like listening to a bunch of Birkenstock wearing tree huggers try and interpret Shakespeare and twist into some left-wing l_beral propaganda. For six years I had fun calling their bluff.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by bbbom
Here is the link for the archived copy of the April 15, 2002 Issue:
Click here

To write to the author:

Fiona McCormack
c/o Scholastic Inc.
555 Broadway
New York, NY 10012-3999
Did you notice the little bear snowball game? The one where the bear throws snowballs at the snowmobiliers until they all vanish?

Moo

Jul 23, 2001
Believe it or not... there's a whole high school course dedicated to this propaganda. You should the AP Environmental Science textbook. 500 pages worth of this stuff. :silly:

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Originally posted by WoodsRider
Nothing like listening to a bunch of Birkenstock wearing tree huggers try and interpret Shakespeare and twist into some left-wing l_beral propaganda.

I took a shakepeare class in college. Probably 1983, all the prof talked about was the nicaraguan contras!! I learned alot about shakespeare in that class!!

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
A few days ago my first grade daughter came home from school with a little box from The Nature Conservancy . She's supposed to go door to door taking donations to support their cause, "Helping forests & saving animals". I explained to her what is happening. I think/hope she gets it. If not yet, she will. I asked my 12 yr. old son where his is and he said "I tore it up & threw it away." :aj: In this & all other things, do not let them lie to your kids. STAND YOUR GROUND! BTW: We have much respect for the forests & animals.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've said it before and I'll say it again...the media and academia are two of the biggest problems we face in America. Teaching and informing our children is one thing, but quite another matter when laced with agenda.

Top Bottom