?more intake holes in piston?

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
You know how some two strokes have one or more holes in the piston skirt to aid the intake of the air/gas mixture.
My KDX200 has one hole although there are three vertical openings in the cylinder for intake flow. If I added two more holes to match the other two cylinder intake openings then how would that affect the powerband?
I'm guessing more midrange than anything.
input, anyone?

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
No effect on the power band, other than keeping the power for long WOT power pulls.

The holes will help traped gases under the piston to be flushed. And this will help cool the head of the piston and elimanate the stale charge traped under the piston.

hence...., yes more power on long hard pulls and a better life.

Drilled holes at the most upper part of the piston is what you want to do.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
But what about the fact that air/gas will start being sucked in through the holes before the piston is high enough for the air/gas to come in under the piston skirt? My understanding was that except for loss of piston skirt strength, the more holes were better since they aided with intake flow. Since the greatest heat is at the top area of the piston, and the most side stress at the lower part of the piston then the ideal place for the holes is near the middle as long as they don't create a nice weak "line" where the piston skirt can break off at.
I've got a worn out piston in it now and I drilled a couple holes in it to see what difference it would make. But I'm afraid to really gas it since it might cause a disaster. Anyway I have a new piston and rings on the way. Any "tuners" out there who'd like to comment?

Last edited:

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
I wouldn't use the old piston! (it could break)

The hole or holes I'm talking about would be best placed about 10 ~ 15 MM below the lower ring (just under the bottom side of the piston dome).

The best pistons to do this on would be a new stock or Pro-X (I like them and I still say they are not over run stock pistons, they are built to a stronger more race like piston), but the strongest piston for doing this would be a Wiseco (you need to make sure that you have an extra .0005" clearance).

Drilling holes at the main transfer or boost transfer ports work great too, if there is room to do that.

All of this helps flush the under side of the piston and that will help cool it.

You need to remember that there is more to this, it all has to do with exhaust scavenging and shock waves that cause a negative pressure that pull the air/fuel mixture through the engine.

Hope this helps.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…