NJP3

Jul 29, 2003
Ok Im considering the KDX as my second bike. But Ill be moving to it from an XR which has required almost no work aside from changing the oil. If I were to get a 2-stroke bike im afraid i would have know Idea what to do if somthing went wrong. Like do you guys constatly have to tweak ur bikes to keep them running ok? Ive looked around on this board and I have no idea what half the stuff ur talking about is, let alone how to do it. If I get this bike will I be able to keep it running for my purposes, take into consideration that im used to my user friendly bike, that can take a beating.

Thanks

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Not much to go on here, but I'll try a little. You can buy a bike and leave it stock and if you don't pound it things should go well for quite a long time. I started working on motorcycles and car engines when I was as young as can remember. Some people have a drive to extract the most from their equipment---like my stereo system, for example. When you start tweaking an engine and running it with more power than the stock unit, things wear out quicker...and if you don't like a performance dropoff, then yes there is considerably more maintenance. So if you want to sit on the seat and cow trail along you have low maintenance. If you want to go WOT every chance you get---you pay the piper. Have fun. It's a great bike!

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
Hi NJP3,

Do the move. I had a XR400 before and now have a KDX220. You'll be surprise by how much more fun you'll get !!!

Patrick

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
When I bought my KDX in March I knew nothing about 2 strokes or any kind of motors for that matter. I can change my own oil, and wire up stereos and lighting but have always paid somebody to do anything else.

Thanks to this site and ‘Carvr and the Kawi manual I have been doing virtually all the maintenance work on my bike. I’ve learned how to do do most of the bearings, change tires, rebuild the shock, fork seals, new springs, still working on my jetting, I just cleaned the kips and hopefully tomorrow I’ll complete my new top end.

Working on my bike is addictive, it’s fun to tinker with it and take it out and see the results, so far they have been all good results. We'll see how the top end goes! LOL

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
yeah i'll second what wibby said,especially the canyoncarver comment,get a shop manual and start saving money while you learn to do it yourself.i remember the feeling i got when i statrted the bike after my first ever top end and kips valve rebuild,i went from sorta queasy to yeah,who da man?,when it fired right up on the second kick! and i'm no mechanic by any means,the info on this site will answer any questions you can come up with

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
kdx's are real easy to work on and the maintaince is as easy as your xr . if you buy it all ya haft to do is ask on here and you'll get your answer . if you buy it you'll probably get rid of the xr cause you wont ride it anymore . the thing about the kdx is you can make as fast as you want or keep it stock for your likeing .

plymrat

May 12, 2001
I too went from a XR400 to a new 200. So far I love the KDX. The XR was trouble free, but my decision was based on weight and responsiveness. The KDX is noticably lighter. The first time I rode it the bike felt like it was skimming over the terrain. Much lighter steering and very,very responsive, wheeling over everything. XR's are awsome but rather boring. Get the KDX!From what I've read here their also bulletproof.

guts

Sep 14, 2003
Hi,to your question about more mateince its like alot of people on here has allready said,a kdx is fun low matenice depending though on how u ride,like for anything u run it hard yeah u will have some trouble but thats with anything i've rhonde xrs sence i was 8yrs old nerver had a problem expect when i got little crazy run them way to hard like revving to the moon:) hehe fun but expensive,well anyway i bought a new kdx 220 few months ago and it's alot more fun than any xr ive been on alot lighter, revs alot quicker, and havent had a problem but as i say this i have added fmf gnarly pipe turbine 2 silencer ,jets,airbox mod,and now as i type im putting wiseco piston and boysen reeds,speaking of that i need get back to it,anyway get a kdx u want be sorry,plus if u ever have a problem u have all the guys around here,good luck hope this helps ya out,just read up on them what i done for 2 months before i went and bought one:)buts that my opinion,choice is yours,ps i was a red rider but now i ride green:)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yeah the KDX is way low maintenence which makes me accutally like to tinker or mess around with it. If you can fix a 4 stroke(the XR's are pretty good on mainenence though) you can fix a 2 stroke. If you can't their simple and easy to learn. I've been with 2 strokes all my riding years(I'm only 13) and I've learned a lot w/ my dad and the manuals pretty much tell it all.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
My first bike was a 91 Husqvarana WXE 250 (2 stroke). I did nothing to that bike for a year except change the oil after every ride along with cleaning the air filter. Never once had to tinker with the engine. Being a novice rider, I didn't ride it very hard I guess.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I didn't say you had to tinker with it but there are lots of mods(check the KDX page). I like to hop a bike up to see how good I can make a bike fit my riding. We don't change the oil after every ride or clean the air filter. We do check once in a while and clean it every few rides. But we don't ride very hard. We pack the steering bearings, clean the carbon off the top and piston, clean the power valves, change the fork oil, ect. every three or four years. We don't ride very often and only in the summer.

Top Bottom