wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Ever since I met ‘Carvr, I’ve been using my radio when riding, it’s just another part of my riding gear. It’s wire-tied to my chest protector, you can see it if you look close enough here
www.dirtrider.net/teamdrn/showphoto.php?photo=4806&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=

On a recent ride at Johns Peak, I was riding on this trail that has been cut right though a really brushy thicket, this stuff is at least 12 feet high, it’s just like riding through a tunnel, it’s really cool. I had taken my goggles off because they were constantly fogging up my glasses, but now they were hanging up on all this brush, and I was afraid of them getting ripped right off my helmet so I slowed down and tried putting them back on one handed. (BIG Mistake) The next thing I know, I’m falling over right between some trees and when I try to get up I can’t. The bike is wedged up against the tree, plus my leg is under the bike. So I figure I’ll just pull my leg out from under the bike, but I can’t! I pull and pull but nothing! I can feel something jabbing me in the back of my calf.
Luckily I have a radio! so I call ‘Carvr and tell him I’ve got a little problem. He comes down and helps get my bike picked up and then I found out what was jabbing me. It was a small stump that was cut and it had been growing toward the trail, so when I pulled it forced it deeper and deeper into my boot!

If not for the radio and of course riding with a buddy, I’d probably still be up there, letting the coyotes spread my bones around....

For you “Mods” out there that are wondering, “What this got to do with the Justkdx forum??”
Well.... to tell you the truth, not a lot except I ride a KDX and ‘Carvr rides one too ;)

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I used the radio idea to tell my wife when I was approaching a riding section during races, so she could have the video camera up and running to capture me. It sounds cool on the video too.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'd probably come looking for you eventually..........:think: well, probably.

Radios are a terrific help. Yeah...can be a pain, too, at times. The former outweighs the latter.

Considering the slope wibby was on, the laurel tree his kdx was stuck in on the rear wheel and the stump jamming up thru the frame and his boot...I wouldn't doubt he'd had one dickens of a time getting out by himself.

Traffic on that trail is about zip, too!

Hey! Cute warrior behind your bike in that pic, wibby. Bet some dunescreamin' mama rides THAT thing! (not a sport quad my arse!! YOU try to keep up with her!!) ;)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah...can be a pain, too, at times.

Yeah you probably get tired of me constantly saying "Hey, where'd you go?" "hey, Canyncarvr? ? Buddy? Got your ears on?......"

dunescreamin' mama

She's fun to ride with, except when she's right on your butt!
I don't know how she can ride that thing so fast! We need to put a helmet cam on her, that would be a site or maybe just a big blur! ;)

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Wibby, I'm forever getting stuck under my bike. One thing I do do (when possible), is get the other leg & push the bike up with that, just enough to get my stuck leg out from under (and then can pick the bike up).
What sort of radios do you guys use? What sort of range do they get?
And how the hell do people ride them four wheeled things? They scare me (it's the thumb throttle that does it). ;) Ya go Mrs CC :)

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
My wife and I started using radios back in the late '80s. They were cool because if we'd come to a new trail or ugly looking piece of ground I could check it out and tell her to come ahead or stay there. Also worked good for what Wibby said about help. About the only time they weren't good is when she'd get mad about something and I'd have to hear her chirping in my ear. I guess that's why they have an off switch! :laugh:  Oh yeah, they worked good for hare scrambles, I'd call my pit and tell them if I needed gas, goggles, etc.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I think 'Carvr uses a Motorola GMRS radio
http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=9&cgmenbr=126

I recently bought some Cobra 945 DX Micro Talk 22 channel GMRS radios. Mine are supposed to have a range of 7 miles but in the mountains that will be greaty reduced. My set came with 2 radios, complete with battery packs, charger, and ear bud headsets for both radios. What I like most about the radios for riding is the call tones, you can select up to ten different call tones, that send a distinctive ring to your buddies. It is loud enough that you can usually hear it even when you are screaming down the trail.
They are water resistant, so we'll see... Gotta poker run this weekend up on Johns Peak, and it's been raining all week, probably snowing up there! LOL I've never been to a poker run, so I thought I'd check it out. ( That is if I get my bike put back together by then! Cleaned the KIPS and putting a new top end in, never done that before either!)

Attachments

• radio&gator.jpg
    radio&gator.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 95
Top Bottom