Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Great, just what I need. More pain. After the back pain was gone, the legs started to act up. My right upper leg and groin has been killing me since Monday. In basketball practice on Monday I pulled the muscle, but I believed it was minor. So I ran the rest of the 1 and a half hour practice, and played a 2 hour hockey game after it. Now the pain is starting to be unbearable. A-535 can only do so much. I was going to wait for the pain to go away, except for the occasional application of A-535 but it's not going anywhere. I can walk on it, but it's sort of a limp.

To top it all off, I have a hockey game tomorrow night. I really want to play, but I'm afraid I can't play up to my potential, but I'm in sort of a situation where I know I can't play but really want to. (Want to keep my +/- rating up among other stats). So should I push it tomorrow and play as much as my leg will allow, or just be 100% safe and not play at all?

I usually stretch out that muscle region pretty good. (balance on one foot, grab your other foot, and pull it as close as you can to your butt, if not touching.) was the stretch I did on that area. I usually do it twice each side for a hold of 10-12 seconds. Is this stretch sufficient enough or should I be doing another stretch?

Thanks for any help,

Elliot

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Only you know how well you feel. If you can help the team talk to the coach and tell him you want to suit up but in a reduced role. If you don't think it's realistic take a spot on the bench and see the Doc. BTW short of inflating or deflating your ego that +/- rating is going to mean squat by April so I wouldn't let it influence my decision ;)

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Yeah..haha. True enough. I played tonight anyway, full shifts. I guess the leg isn't hurt as bad as I thought because it didn't bother me til midway through the 3rd period. I looked up a few stretches on the internet for that muscle, I guess they helped tonight. I'm so glad it didn't turn into anything worse.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I trained two years ago in an incorrect manner. I put way too much weight on my legs and only did series of 3x8. The legs became super strong, but I lost a huge amount of flexibility. When I started the football camp as a wide receiver, the sprinting caused an injury to my right leg. It was a "claquage" in French, not sure about the word in English (doc said it is a sort of knot in the muscle restraining it from expanding). It ruined my season alright. I am now trying to improve my flexibility.

Are you training inappropriately? What I do now is 1x100 reps with 60% of my weight. Develops endurance and you're sure not to get injured. Hope this helps! Recover soon, I'm sure that team needs you :cool:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
The only training I do is pump 75-90 pounds, or however much I can lift that night, about 25-30 times with my arms, do 30 push ups, and do a little bit of leg squats. I don't have to do much, hockey practices are good enough for working muscle.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
For stretching, I recommend holding for 20-30 seconds with none of that bouncy stuff that tears ligaments. Other than that, learn your threshold, so you don't do permanent damage, if in doubt consult a doc. Unless you are making Carmichael money, it's probably not worth permanent damage. The older you are, the worse it gets.
For weight training, your sets should be between 6 and 14 reps, too few is too heavy, too many is a waste of time. If you want more information check out http://bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html and snoop around.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
You might want to look into the books by this father and son - best I've seen on stretching.

And no, I'm not receiving any $$ for this promotion. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Whartons-Stretch-Book-Jim-Wharton/dp/0812926234

http://www.amazon.com/Whartons-Back...1579547036/ref=pd_sim_b_1/103-1511579-3859850

"The Whartons--a father-and-son personal-training team who've worked with many pro athletes and Olympic medalists--show you how to use their stretches to prepare for dozens of sports, from aerobics to wrestling."

""[The Whartons'] stretching and strenghtening programs that take 15 to 20 minutes a day cured my 5-year problems. I finally made the 2000 Olympics, injury-free, and broke 3 Irish records en route. This could not have been possible without the Wharton Performance team."--Mark Carroll, Irish national record holder in track and field"

"While performing in films and training for marathons, I suffered disk herniations. I was a mess--pain, atrophy, weakness, numbness. Once Wharton Performance got their hands on me, I was right back on my feet. I was blown away by the knowledge, passion, and commitment that Jim and Phil have for what they do."--William Baldwin, actor

"With the Whartons' program, there's no limit to what you want to do. You can improve as much as you want in the areas you'd like, and you can tailor the program specifically to your needs."--Chris Martin, former coach of the Great Britain national swim team and the U.S. Olympic and national swim teams, including an Olympic-gold-medal-winning swimmer.

Top Bottom