jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Hi all I need your feed back on this one .
Ok I have been running my 2003 KDX220 for about a year and love it I have had loads of off road bikes and road bikes but think this is the best on the dirt so far.
It is stock and I have been saving to change the pipe as a riding mate has done to his and after riding his KDX the change is worth the cost.
I have been running the bike on 40-1 Silkoline Comp 2 Pre mix which is a Synthetic ester based 2-Stroke engine oil. The other day I found a load of Shell two stoke oil Shell SX2 a mineral oil ( very cheap), the first time I mixed up a batch of fuel I was a bit worried that the oil was very light so changed my mix to 32-1 just in case .I have used this oil like this for for a few weeks and have been happy with it .This morning I tock the bike out, still l worried that the oil seemed very light and had been sitting in the tank for a week I added 50 cc of oil to 2.5 liters of pre mix that I had in a can and filled the bike up.
To start with the bike felt a bit missy and I started to think that it was fouling the plug but once it was warm it felt much better . Out on the green lanes I noticed that the motor picked up better and had way more power that it had before.On the road the bike is far better running and the power is much more like the re-piped bike that my mate rides. Has any one ever tried this and found the same thing ?.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
More oil = more power, to a point. Of course this also alters your jetting, so if you were jetted too rich to begin with, you helped lean out the fuel/air mix by running a boatload of oil.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Julien is spot on. Your bike was most likely jetted rich as pretty much every stock two stroke is. Adding oil helped lean it out and provide better lubrication film. In your case, instant power. You really want to get some cheap performance? Jet the bike.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Also don't forget temperature changes. Colder is more potential power, and temperature changes density which also changes jetting...

So it sounds like you just dialed in the jetting on the bike for conditions. It does make a big difference.

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
I'm lucky I can get to ride it to work which gives me around 5 miles off road.
Thanks for the input re the oil.
sr5bidder said:
sounds like you get to ride your bike whenever you want I'm jealous.

julien_d's thiinking on this makes sense to me

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
It's strange I have always felt the bike was running rich and have made loads of changes but none have worked well as this the oil is very cheap I can get 4 liters for the price on 1 liter of silkoline, as long as she runs ok I might well just keep on as it is and try to find the right mix.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Just a stupid piece of information about where my old fuel goes as it doesn't go in the kdx coz I love it too much:

I use 50/50 new gas and old mixed two stroke gas in my car (when I have old 2stroke gas) Goes much better. I think it bumps up the compression as the car has done 365,000ks and the rings probably need a little help to seal.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I have 210k miles on my Tahoe. Left over mix goes in there. It doesn't seem to mind. Truck still doesn't burn or leak any oil. Pretty good engine for a 4 stroke!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
all my leftover/ unknown goes in the rider mower never had a problem untill last month and i have cleaned the main jet 5 time allready, i think it was the extrem cold spell we had this winter in Ga

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
leftover two stroke gas goes into the four stroke bikes in my garage. :ride:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom