More power into my KTM 125 SX 04

Bang

Apr 9, 2003
I wan´t to put more power into my KTM 125 04´. I want to put an SXS pipe and a SXS cylinder head on it. I have thorth about an aftermarket igition " Wortex or Wolf ", but I don´t want to spent the money if it not works.

Have anybody tried and aftermarket igition ?
Does it work ?

Thanks for any feedback

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I have an 03 125sx w/ alot of after-market stuff on it, including a Wolf Ignition. The 04 is almost the same, but w/ some updates, so here it goes. The port timing is almost the same, they went w/ diff reed system (V-Force) and Doma spec pipe, (Doma built their stock pipe for them) for improved power rather than revise all the ports and PV system. I can give you the specs of squish, w/ updated jetting, that worked for me. This will improve power, and make your bike pull. I am waiting for my SXS head as well, as soon as I get more info on what works for me, I will post it, please do the same if you get the head before I do.
Here is what I did, it is a proven ripper,,,,,,
1468H needle in the 3rd position, this is a Kawi needle, about $25, you can go to www.sudco.com and get the DDJ needle, it is $5.50, run it in the 2nd position. The DDJ in the 2nd is the same as the 1468H is in the 3rd. This is a KTM Race Team spec and mostly helps clean up the jetting in the L1 dimension
192-195 main depending on elevation and fuel
52 pilot
1.25mm of squish, KTM makes diff thickness base gaskets, you can get thinner ones for tighter squish, thicker ones for larger squish. Mine came w/ a .55mm, I went w/ the .25mm to get current set up. This help boost compression slightly. You can go w/ tighter squish, but you may have to take it off the base as I don't reccomed going w/ any thinner base gasket, they are very paper thin below .25mm
40:1 w/a 50/50 mix of VP-C12 and 94 oct, you can go w/ straight VP C-12 or MR@ for better results, but work w/ your jetting
V-Force, stock for 04, you already have one, it works
FMF Factory Fatty and shorty, this pipe and the Doma set up work the best, call Chip Munn from Munn Racing in Texas for your Doma, he is the man.
Wolf igntion set on boost, bottom line is the Wolf rocks big time, it improved power everywhere, this thing revs and sounds like no other bike I have ever heard. It pulls like no other,,,,I matched the PV flapper to the radius of the Ex port roof, it was hanging over and mis-matched. I also cleaned up the base of the jug and matched it to the cases, it was hanging over by 2mm in the transfer duct area. This is b/c the cases are the same for the 200sx and the cases were mated for the 200 jug, so the 125 jug needs some attention. This helps the flow of gasses up from the crankcase. Also the boost port passage was hanging over and partially blocked, I fixed that as well. I chamfered and degreed all the ports to stock, slight epoxy work in trasnfers for guided gas flow. The rear transfers are staggered, so if you mess w/ them, they are supposed to be off by a few degrees. HP ratings are subject to debate b/c of too many variables, but on a good day w/ a tank full of MR2 and the mods mentioned above you are in the 36-37 HP range. I can get more power out of the bike, but it will be over the winter as it is prime riding right now here in New England, it will have to wait. The power of this mod 125 is more like a 150, I am not joking. Bone stock it was a good bike w/ good power, now it is holeshot material for sure. Post back if you have any quesitons, good luck- Jman271

Bang

Apr 9, 2003
Thanks for the letter.

I will now defetly buy the wolf CDI if it´s so good.
Have you tried the SXS pipe, since you know that the FMF pipe is better ?
Do you think I need to run race gas if I mount the pipe, cylinder head and the igition ? VP C-12 cost about 25 $ a gallon in Denmark were I live so it gets pretty expensive if I have to run race gas, I know that it will improve the result. Do you know a cheap place I can buy race gas ? If you live in England, were do you then buy your parts ?
I will post if I get the cylinder head before you.

Thanks for help...

Originally posted by Jman271
I have an 03 125sx w/ alot of after-market stuff on it, including a Wolf Ignition. The 04 is almost the same, but w/ some updates, so here it goes. The port timing is almost the same, they went w/ diff reed system (V-Force) and Doma spec pipe, (Doma built their stock pipe for them) for improved power rather than revise all the ports and PV system. I can give you the specs of squish, w/ updated jetting, that worked for me. This will improve power, and make your bike pull. I am waiting for my SXS head as well, as soon as I get more info on what works for me, I will post it, please do the same if you get the head before I do.
Here is what I did, it is a proven ripper,,,,,,
1468H needle in the 3rd position, this is a Kawi needle, about $25, you can go to www.sudco.com and get the DDJ needle, it is $5.50, run it in the 2nd position. The DDJ in the 2nd is the same as the 1468H is in the 3rd. This is a KTM Race Team spec and mostly helps clean up the jetting in the L1 dimension
192-195 main depending on elevation and fuel
52 pilot
1.25mm of squish, KTM makes diff thickness base gaskets, you can get thinner ones for tighter squish, thicker ones for larger squish. Mine came w/ a .55mm, I went w/ the .25mm to get current set up. This help boost compression slightly. You can go w/ tighter squish, but you may have to take it off the base as I don't reccomed going w/ any thinner base gasket, they are very paper thin below .25mm
40:1 w/a 50/50 mix of VP-C12 and 94 oct, you can go w/ straight VP C-12 or MR@ for better results, but work w/ your jetting
V-Force, stock for 04, you already have one, it works
FMF Factory Fatty and shorty, this pipe and the Doma set up work the best, call Chip Munn from Munn Racing in Texas for your Doma, he is the man.
Wolf igntion set on boost, bottom line is the Wolf rocks big time, it improved power everywhere, this thing revs and sounds like no other bike I have ever heard. It pulls like no other,,,,I matched the PV flapper to the radius of the Ex port roof, it was hanging over and mis-matched. I also cleaned up the base of the jug and matched it to the cases, it was hanging over by 2mm in the transfer duct area. This is b/c the cases are the same for the 200sx and the cases were mated for the 200 jug, so the 125 jug needs some attention. This helps the flow of gasses up from the crankcase. Also the boost port passage was hanging over and partially blocked, I fixed that as well. I chamfered and degreed all the ports to stock, slight epoxy work in trasnfers for guided gas flow. The rear transfers are staggered, so if you mess w/ them, they are supposed to be off by a few degrees. HP ratings are subject to debate b/c of too many variables, but on a good day w/ a tank full of MR2 and the mods mentioned above you are in the 36-37 HP range. I can get more power out of the bike, but it will be over the winter as it is prime riding right now here in New England, it will have to wait. The power of this mod 125 is more like a 150, I am not joking. Bone stock it was a good bike w/ good power, now it is holeshot material for sure. Post back if you have any quesitons, good luck- Jman271

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I live in New England, CT, USA actually,,,,,the SXS Head has an insert w/ corrected CR so you can run 94 oct. There are Int dist for VP, I don't know who, but they exist.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Oh yeah, the SXS Pipe is made for KTM by Doma to KTM's spec. SO, Doma actually makes their new stock plated pipe, as well as their hard part race pipes, and the consumer pipes as well. The SXS pipe comes in a few diff config's, about 5-6 I think. Chip Munn from Munnracing in Texas knows all their is to know about Domas/SXS pipes, call him, he rules. Post back- see ya-

Bang

Apr 9, 2003
I will contact Chip Munn. Do you think the SXS cylinder head will give me more power if I am not running race gas, and just run the corrected insert for 94 oct.
I just ordered a pair of Talon weels ( gold hub´s w. gold rim´s ) I can pick theme up next weekend, it will be nice...

See you
Originally posted by Jman271
Oh yeah, the SXS Pipe is made for KTM by Doma to KTM's spec. SO, Doma actually makes their new stock plated pipe, as well as their hard part race pipes, and the consumer pipes as well. The SXS pipe comes in a few diff config's, about 5-6 I think. Chip Munn from Munnracing in Texas knows all their is to know about Domas/SXS pipes, call him, he rules. Post back- see ya-

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If you are creative with a drill and a saw, you can take off the seat and find plastic that you can remove to improve airflow. It drastically changed the charector of my '00. Increased volume of oxygen gives you more opportunity to tune sharp.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Steve125, I installed the heavier rear spring,(PDS #7, #6 was stock) had Factory Connection do a rear re-valve w/ out the oversize bladder kit. I bought a R&D bladder on Ebay, and plan on installing it over the winter, I will let you know if it made that much diff. 120mm of sag is the critical measurement for the rear. For the forks, I played w/ oil height and ended up w/ 90mm from the top, 100mm was stock The spring rate was soft, so I went w/ .42kg instead of the .40kg, now they don't dive and they are just fine. If I were riding a bit more under race conditions, I would re-valve them, but right now they are actaully quite good. The 04 has a new rebound needle assembly that is supposed to be way better than 03, as well as new valving specs for improved blah, blah, blah,,,if you have an 03 revalved, it will be just as good if not better than the 04 stock anyway. The SXS head w/ pump gas and the MX insert will be way better than stock and be more powerful, but w/ race gas, it is second to none in power.

Top Bottom