Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Has anybody noticed a significant increase in power when replacing the stock NGK BR8ES spark plug with the BR8EG, BR8EV, BR8EVX, or BR8EIX thin electrode spark plugs???

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
I know that the eg is better than the es, but what are the evx's, eix's and ev's. What do the letters mean. The heat range is the same on all of these, right?

I run br8eg, but if the others do burn better/cleaner I'd buy them.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
S.D., According to NGK.com, the EG is the same material as the ES but a thinner electrode. The EV is Gold/Palladium electrode and thinner yet. The EVX is Platinum electrode and thinner than the EV. The EIX is Iridium electrode and the thinnest of all. Supposedly, the thinner the electrode, the stronger the spark is even though the heat range is the same. The thinner ones are supposed to give more power and efficiency due to a stronger spark and more complete fuel burning. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I've never noticed any differences in power with the thin & very thin electrode plugs but it's almost impossible to foul one. I wouldn't run anything else. They'll last forever

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Significant?

Maybe not that much....but notable, yes.

Although, I put my EG plug in at the same time I put in an electrex light coil. It may have been a combination of the two.

If there is any further question on the thin, thinner and rare metal electrodes, check out ngk's website..yes, at http://www.ngk.com.

Check the FAQ and the <general> tab on that page, too.

Last edited:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Originally posted by Twiztid One
now that i got my jetting right i only change them out every month , just for good measure .

Dont you think that is a bit excessive? Once your jetting is correct your plugs should last a LOT longer than that. I never foul plugs and only change them annually... just for good measure.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
I think I changed my plug once. Not sure though, might have put the same one back in. If your bike is jetted right it should be easy on plugs.
Same with my kids kx60, although I am sure I have changed it once.
And it has about a billion hard hrs. on it, And a few mins. under water.
Steve

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I used an EVX (The platinum one) I had fouled about two or three stock plugs and I switched to the evx then I changed the plug once a year for three years just to be safe I never fouled one of the EVX plugs. I was doing a lot of jetting changes at the time I switched so it is hard to tell a difference the plug alone made. Being reliable was the selling point for me.

Top Bottom