Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Those of you that are familiar with Mosier Valley MX are probably aware of the problems the park is facing with the city of Arlington. The city has annexed the property surrounding Mosier Valley and is now "asking" Mosier to make improvements (an estimated 30 million dollars worth by another board). The primary concerns I believe are the grandstands, lighting, food vending, fuel storage, spectator seating, restroom, fire lanes, parking, pit area / working on bikes area, paved roads, signs, emergency vehicle access, back taxes, etc, etc...

They are asking for help by going to this web site and printing the applicable for, having it signed & notorized and mailed to Jerry Surber. The forms are located here http://www.gncmx.com/

Mosier is a great place and practically a legend in mx, as far as tracks go. I'm sure they appreciate all the help they can get, I'd sure like to see this place around for my kid's kids.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
K-Dub did a race out there the weekend before the Texas Cup or whatever they had at Tyler didn't he? It was Mosier right? I've never been there but heard nothing but good things. What are they asking for with those affadavits?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I heard he did, I think it was the GNC Nationals. I'm not really sure what they are looking for in the affidavits, I was hoping someone could tell me. I'm still about 120 away from the place but I go every chance I get.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
#2 would be applicable to me as the first time i went there was just a couple of years ago. find out what needs to be stated and i'll send one.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I grew up in Arlington, and I just can't believe that the city has grown that much and encroached on Mosier! I remember seeing Jeff Emig ride out of a Team Green Econoline Van. He Smoked the 125 experts in the afternoon and the 80 experts.
Even though I live in Socal now, I would be happy to help any way I can. Mosier is a great childhood memory worth protecting.

patriot

Nov 27, 2001
who would I talk to in regards to volunteering some time and help at Moiser Valley?
I live in Euless, less than 2 miles from Moiser Valley and am also the Sr. Structural Designer for a large construction company in the Arlington. I would be able to volunteer my time as well any :ugg: help welding, any structural design drawings they may need for the grandstands and basic maintenance. If someone knows a direct contact I can speak with in regards to this, emial me at clayton.laurence@encompass.com
thanx

Moiser is an awesome track and I would hate to see it go.
Clayton Laurence

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud but.. has anyone questioned why Mosier is in the situation it's in? It's not because Arlington is growing leaps and bounds. In fact, the city is expanding but not that direction. I'm affraid Mosier needs some serious mgmt help. Surber has the money to fix the place up and depending who you speak with.. well.. it was cost cutting that got the place in trouble. I'd like to know more info on the affadavits as well. I'm all for saving the track, it's an awesome facility, but something needs to be done if mis-mgmt is being passed onto the riders wallet.

Patriot, I have a possible contact for you if you're interested... PM me. Also, didn't I speak to about 6 weeks ago out there.. it was a Monday night. I was on a KTM520SX, #94? If so, good to hear from you.

patriot

Nov 27, 2001
hey rockchucker. I believe I did speak with you a few weeks ago at Moisser. I had my little brother-in-law with me. What do you have for me bro?
I would like to help, and I agree, I think there may be more to the story than what we are hearing, but, all the same, I would still like to help. Email me at clayton.laurence@encompass.com

By the way, Are you the one that also had the crf450? I have still not gotten me a bike. Hopefully Christmas!!!!!

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
Yeah man, I thought that was you. Yep, did have the CRF. She's gone now RIP. Back on the Yamaha's.. 450F and 250F.

Hey, I'm emailing you a contact number right now.

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
I ride out at Mosier Valley a couple times a week. (Not this week with all the rain)

A few months ago, the city of Arlington shut off their power for a few weeks.

There were like three different articles on three different days in the Arlington section of the Fort Worth paper talking about the track. From what I remember, the current city council did not even now that the track even existed. You can’t actually enter the track from anywhere in Arlington. The only entrance is from Fort Worth property.

According to the article, the land is currently zoned as farmland. Jerry Surber the owner tried to get zoned as commercial in 1997 but was denied do to the fact that it backs up to River Legacy park and there was fear about noise. Despite the denial, they just continue to operate the track.

The last article had a few quotes from city council members that seemed positive about the future of the track. Saying something to the effect that the city of Arlington was the entertainment capital of Texas and that a Motocross track would fit in just fine. Also that the noise concerns were probably not a problem since they had not had one complaint since 1997.

They had to remove the 50gal drums of race fuel that they had stored out there and the main grandstand was closed off. It has signs on it saying that grand stand has been condemned by the city. The grandstand is a huge structure made from steel that is covered. It is only about half complete and I am positive violates several codes and was never given a permit to be built in the first place.

From what I’ve been told, Jerry Surber the owner has been promoting motocross races there for something like 35 years. This is long before the city of Arlington annexed the land.

I hope they don’t close Mosier Valley down it is a great track with a lot of history. They hold two big races every year. The GNC final in March and the Good Time National in September. The majority of top pro’s past, present, and future have ridden there at one time or another. I believe that it was also in “On Any Given Sunday 2” but I’ve never seen it. They have practices 3 to 4 times a week and racing at least once a week just about year round as weather permits.

Any thing anybody can do to help would be great. If they close down Mosier I may go back to street bikes. ):

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
I've been racing at Mosier Valley off and on for almost thirty years. The track is on some of the best sandy loam soil you could imagine. Jerry Surber has done a great job of updating the track itself and it's never been better. There are issues such as the hokey grandstand that is downright hazardous and the usual crappy port-a-john facilities, but when it comes to the track itself, it's awesome. There are lot's of old oak shade trees and plenty of elevation changes. It would be a real shame if the City of Arlington shut the track down. There is not a better, more conveniently located track near Dallas/Fort Worth. There are plenty of tracks in the region but Mosier is one of the best and it is smack dab in the center of the Metroplex.

Even if you have never been to Mosier Valley it might help if you sign Jerry Surber's petition. We need to stick up for every track because the next one closed down may be your favorite.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
What I've read vs. what I know

I've read that the city of Arlington has figured out that Mosier is actually located within their city limits even though Surber has been paying taxes on time since buying the place in the 70's. Now they feel the need to "inspect" it for safety and so forth. They need to determine if all the buildings are up to code and obviously it's not safe to store "fuel" on the property. The city is saying that in order for Surber to remain open he must "bring the park up to city code." This would require all sorts of improvements to the facility but to what extent I can't say. I have heard some wild rumors though.
Again this is all "hear say" so I can't swear to any of it.

What I know.
Growing up in Arlington, though I never raced I had plenty of friends that did. I managed to make it out to Mosier a few times during the mid 70's to the early 80's. The track is much like any other track, it is made of dirt that gets moved around from time to time. If you get tired of it one way you simply fire up the tractor and change it. I remember using the pota-potties back then just the same as I do now 25 years later. I don't remember when they built the grandstand though. I don't remember it being there back in the 70's. Sometime they did add lighting and apparently a generator that will run the lights if needed. In order to fuel the generator there is a fuel tank, at least I think it's part of Mosier, it's located kind of away from everything, and I don't know when they did that. As far as the rest of it??? It's just a track the same as all the rest of them. It's nothing more or nothing less than what I see everywhere else with the exception of Witney. It would be nice to have a brick restroom with showers and all but I couldn't afford to pay the price Whitney charges every time I wanted to ride.

I think what Surber is asking for in the affidavit is basically what was Mosier like in the 70's vs. what it's like today. In other words what improvements have actually been made? I may be way off base here but what ever the reason I'd hate to lose Mosier because it's not fancy enough or safe enough to ride my dirtbike.

A little side note inserted here.
My sister still lives in Arlington and a few years back her & her husband bought the house of their dreams in south Arlington. It was kind of pricey but they figured they could manage if they only stuck to a budget. After 3 years had passed the city of Arlington sent them a letter saying basically OOPS! Sorry for any inconvenience but the city of Arlington has failed to recognize that your property has a house on it. The tax rate you have been paying was based on unimproved property. In order to recover the lost revenue the city is forced to impose a tax increase that will be incorporated in with your monthly mortgage payment. The end result was over a $200 per month increase for current and back taxes simply because the city failed to properly appraise the property. Result was bankruptcy that everyone has to pay for now. I know it was my sisters fault for living too close to the edge but damn... the city should suck up and pay for their own mistakes. If the city is no more competent than that they should hire someone else to appraise and inspect property or suck it up and pay the consequences for inadequacies. Sounds to me like what they are trying to do to Mosier.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
.... They need to determine if all the buildings are up to code and obviously it's not safe to store "fuel" on the property. The city is saying that in order for Surber to remain open he must "bring the park up to city code." ....

I know it was my sisters fault for living too close to the edge but damn... the city should suck up and pay for their own mistakes ....

Jeff ... Regarding your comments - There is no RULE against the storage of fuel. The rules relate to how it is stored, how much is stored and where it is stored. All Fire Marshals have very exact requirements.

The City of Arlington has ignored the miriad of problems that have existed for over 30 years that relate to rapid expansion of the tax base (i.e. growth). Sorry to hear about your sister's situation.

The city is growing south (the most crowded intersection is repuded to be Cooper and I20), it cannot grow north because it is locked in by Fort Worth's corridor to the old Carter Field.

Mosier Valley has been around as long as I have been riding and I can assure you has been ignored by all the surrounding cities for that long as well because it is located in the "bottoms" and all the various cities have done until recently is dump their trash there.

If there are some code related issues that I can help with patroit, drop me a note. I am an architect that spend most of my days dealing with code.
My email is teeds@whiterockstudio.com

Tony

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
The fuel issue wasn't related to storage. It was related to the massive generator that leaked like a sib. The EPA got wind of this and then filed a complaint as there was fear it was leaking into the Trinity river. The City was turned onto Mosier due to an accident with a lightpole that fell on the infield. Apparently it came dangerously close to hurting a rider and that is when the trouble began. At that point they started a list of complaints: Grandstands, generator, no permits for races, concessions (didn't have license/permit from health dept) etc. Mosier has had its ups and downs, this is definitely bad. I'm all for supporting the track but I disagree with the comment that Jerry has taken great care of it. In the past Surber would lease the land and leave track maintenance to the responsibility of whoever was occupying it. Maintenance has gotten better this year but in previous years the track was in terrible shape.. unless it was close to a GNC weekend. As a former mosier employee.. way back in the day.. the track has seen better. As a rider/racer... we pay our practice/race fee's for a reason. Racing the GNC there can be downright expensive(over $100 for one rider). To my understanding he has rights to the GNC as it's his series. My point: If the track is so well managed why is it in so much trouble? And what can we do to help? Can someone help explain the legal support these petitions carry as they seem like legal CYA to me? And in light of all this.. Surber has been trying to sell the track for the last year.. at least. You guys get my point?

As for the city.. well.. it's a matter of opinion. I don't think the city is going to be the biggest threat, it's the development that being done just North of the property. I can see noise being an issue. Don't know if the grandfather clause protects the track against epa complaints or not.

Mosier needs help, it would be a huge loss for it to close. Anything anyone can do would be appreciated. I love the place. But I don't believe this is our usual big city govt vs local track issue. Everyone knows our sport is looked down on, to a degree, by the govt and various tree-hugging groups. Knowing that: Why provide them the ammo? I hate to say this but maybe the only thing that can save the track is if someone purchases it? Man I hope I'm wrong.

I hope I'm not coming across as anti-mosier, I am not. Just want everyone to know as much as possible so they can be better prepared.

patriot

Nov 27, 2001
i know the parking areas are not to good. They are cluttered with broken glass everytime I go there. I also don't like the fact that they allow alcoholic beverages in the park. Don't get me wrong, I am not against alcohol, I just believe that alcohol and riding mix. I know first hand what can happen when you combine the 2 as I had my right arm patially torn off and my right elbow completely severed from my arm. They all work again thanks to our Great Dr.s we have these days. Anyway, I think there are some changes that do need to be put into use to make it a safer place. One thing is for sure, the entrance to the track when you are going through the cut out of the siding on the Grandstands seems like a death trap for sure. Those are a few of my thoughts on the place.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by rockchucker
I hope I'm not coming across as anti-mosier, I am not. Just want everyone to know as much as possible so they can be better prepared.
Not at all rockchucker, you have shed more light on it than I have read during the entire ordeal. I had heard the track was for sale and he's asking a pretty penny too, I heard.

I'm with you on this, I don't want to lose the track by no means but I think Surber needs to do his part. As far as the track condition, the place is a dump just like most of the other tracks I've been to. The thing that sets it apart is the dirt, it's fun to ride on. I know it has been prepped well the few times I've ridden on it over the last year but it has been over 25 years since I was there before this past year.

I don't have any idea what kind of living a person can make from owning & running a track but I'd love the opportunity to have a track like Mosier down here in Waco. If I did own a track I don't think I would add a grandstand like they did because you can see just about everything from on the ground.

KeltWolf

~SPONSOR~
Oct 23, 2002
IMHO this is just another one of those "Metro-Mess" issues.

Maybe there are management problems and things that need to be fixed, but the whole thing comes down to greed. The city councils are greedy for the tax dollars that a billion houses on the land would bring in. The developers are greedy to build a ton of houses and jam them in so close that you and you neighbor can't mow at the same time between the houses.

Arlington is running out of undeveloped areas and they just realized the Mosier is a big spot for a new housing development.

Same kind of deal as with Marshall Creek - the surrounding towns want to put sports fields in so that they can use the Corps land rather than build parks and fields on town land that can be developed.

Norht Texans need to be heard - you don't need a Tom Thumb, Kroger, Albertsons and Miyard at every intersection and there are enough strip malls and gas stations to choke a horse. What we do need and need to protect are off-raod area. Let know what I can do! :flame:

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
I was doing some quick calculating based off of the results shown or their web site.

For the GNC final in the spring they had about 1800 entries at $90 a class

1800 * 90 = $162,000 (Entry fee)

If you say that there was just 1½ support people for each entry and it is $10 gate fee for each of the 3 days you would have.

4500 * 30 = 1$35,000 (Gate fee)

I really have no clue on the amount they get for camping, sign placement and the preferred parking for vendors. Any input would help, but I am going to guess on the conservative side and say $20,000

My guess for the GNC final weekend Mosier brings in approximately $317, 000

The Good Time National is there next biggest event; it is held in the fall and had about 700 entries at $25 per class. Let’s just say that it’s one gate fee per entree for both days

700 * $25 = 17,500 (Entry fee)

700 * $20 = 14,000 (Gate fee)

My guess for the Good Time National weekend Mosier brings in approximately $31,500

They also have weekly races that are 25$ per class and a $10 gate fee.
If they have lets say have 35 of these races a year at 35$ per total entry and average 40 entrees per race you get.

40 * $35 = $1400

35 * $1400 = $49,000 (income off of weekly races per year)

Mosier also tries to hold 4 practice sessions a week at $10 per bike.

52 * 4 would give you 208 possible practice sessions per year. Let’s say that 25 of those are canceled due to bad weather and you would have 183 left over.

As far as rider turn out for practice sessions this can vary a lot, I have seen times where there were easily well over 200 riders and other times where there wasn’t even 50.
I will be conservative and say 50 riders on average for each practice session.

50 * 10 = $500 (each practice session)

208 * $500 = $104,000 (income from practice sessions per year)

Approximate Income per year for Mosier valley = $501,500

Expenses:

Taxes: Not near as much as I might have thought. (See link) http://www.tarrantcounty.com/template/modifiedtaxweb/accountInfo.asp?lAccountNumber_id=33472939

Insurance: ???

Tack crew: ???

Equipment: ???

EMT service: ???

Electricity: ???

My bet is the track makes money every year but not that much and certainly not enough that they can afford to tear that grand stand down and start building it all new this year so that it meets code.

This whole post is of course just a big guess on my part I have no insider info or anything like that. Feel free to rip it apart if you don’t agree.
I just ride and race there as much as I can since it is only 10min from my house and would hate to see it close. But at the end of the day it is a business and a business has to make money. Profit isn’t a bad thing.

Top Bottom