Jan 11, 2001
i'm not sure what experiences anyone else has had, but this rack seems to be a great idea. i just got mine today and love the way it picks the bike up and out of the way as well as holding it securely by the foot pegs. if you haven't seen one take a look at their website: http://www.motojackrack.com
anyone have any bad experiences?

------------------
trailrider

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
AWESOME! I love mine. I've had it for several years (got one of the first "new design" models) and even use it sometimes now that I have a pickup. I did find if you run a cinch strap from the triple clamp to the frame/bumper of the vehicle and and cranck it down you ge almost zero movement even on rutted out dirt roads. they even made a spool piece for me to get it past the external tire rack on my wife's Bronco :) Super product!!!

TPbeMe

Dec 2, 2000
I bought one about 4 months ago, from Jeff at MX South, and am satisfied with it's performance. However, as a little insurance, I started securing the handlebars with tie-downs to the base of the motojackrack--to insure that it's not going to pivot, from side-to-side, while on the rack. Overall, its a great idea and seemingly well made!

mikecol

Sep 30, 2000
Mine works great. Had a 2X2 welded to the vertical 2X2 on the moving piece to let me have several lift height ranges. Works well going from bike to bike with different ground clearances.

I use on a pickup with two tie straps for stability.

My lift pads have come loose from the metal. Haven't had much luck with glueing; using several plasic tie straps to hold them on now.

GotSand

Aug 28, 2001
What did everyone pay, anyone get a discount? The listed price of $350 seems very expensive, the gas tank holder is an additional $39. It looks like a nice carrier, but difficult to justify over a ramp style.

TPbeMe

Dec 2, 2000
LBF,
When I bought mine, I was told by the manufacturer that they made a "heavy duty" model -- for fifty extra dollars. Long story short, this is the model that I opted to buy. I went through Jeff at MX South and received an 8% percent discount off of the total purchase price, this [discount] helped to take a bite out of shipping cost(s). All in all, I like mine very much, it's well made and lives up to the manufacturer's claims. For someone with a "topper" on their truck -- or an SUV driver -- this thing is a God-send.
TP

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
Question ??? How hard is it to take the MotoJack off your reciever when not in use. I don't want that thing permanately attached to my Land Cruiser.

Badgas

Aug 8, 2001
It's not hard at all to remove it. It weighs about 30 to 35#'s. That's not to bad. I wouldn't suggest walking around the block with it or any thing like that.;) It's an excellent product. It serves as much more than just a bike carrier. You can jack it up to remove tires, grease the head bearings, and a host of other things. It's money well spent.

GotSand

Aug 28, 2001
I just got back from buying one, their facility is a 20 minute drive from my office. I also bought the optional gas can holder.
Interesting operation, they started out of their garage. After the 97 Dirt Bike review they said their business has really taken off. Good luck to them.

I hope the product is as good as everyone on this forum has said, I'm heading to Mexico this weekend with my XR600 mounted on my new Moto Jack Rack.

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
RetSenior,
Although I've read that the jackrack doesn't sway or bob, it sure looks like it would. Have you had any issues in this respect? I'm trying to decide between the jackrack and the moto tote caddy or something like that.
Thanks

Badgas

Aug 8, 2001
WR250Z,

It sways and bobs a little, not to bad. There is a stabilizer bolt on the side, which can be tightened, to prevent the swaying. The bobbing issue could be totally resolved if you were to weld another bolt on the top. All in all it's a very good product. It's small, doesn't take up much room in the garage, and can be used as a work stand.

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
WR250Z,

I turn the handlebars to the left and tie down from the left handlebar to the motojackrack by the shift lever, then I tie down from the right handlebar to the left rear underbed of the truck. This takes amost all of the play out of all the pivit points. Plus there is a jacking bolt to take the play out of the receiver. People who have traveled behind me say it is solid. I have many many miles on it without fault. I paid $350 plus shipping back in 1997. It has a lot of pluses for me over the Moto Sled style carriers like Badgas said It's small, doesn't take up much room in the garage, and can be used as a work stand. All in all it's a very good product.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Customer Service sucks

I did have one bad experience (well several if you count customer service).

My 4Runner broke down while hauling my bike once and a flatbed towtruck came out to pick it up. He pulled the whole thing onto the flatbed, bike and all and off we went. After about 10 miles one of the pins came loose and the bike went over, crashing (thankfully) onto the floor of the flatbed and bending the outer footpeg which was still secured. The pins had been secured tightly ( I always use the short bar to cinch them) and I have to think it was from the added forces from the bounciness of the towtruck that made the one side come loose, but it still makes me nervous. Back-up tie straps are highly recommended.

So then I had to call these guys to get a new pin. I had to call 3 times and explain how I lost a pin, that this is a huge potential liability, and that they should consider including tie straps and safety instructions. I guess I wasn't getting thru b/c no one seemed very interested that my bile had come loose on a busy highway - flatbed or no flatbed, but at least they were nice and said they would send me the part. This happended 3 times until they finally DID send me a part ... the wrong part. ....<big sigh> .... these guys are idiots. nice.... but idiots. Seeing as I only live an hour away I decided that the only way I was going to get the right part out of these guys was to go pick it up myself. And that's what I did. Considering the time & gas involved, that ends up being a pretty expensive little piece of metal.

Sometimes I wish I just would have traded-in my 4Runner for a pickup.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
I've recently installed a snug top lid on my 4x4 Toyota Tacoma and im tired of removing it all the time to load the bike.Im interested in the moto jack,but Im worried about how it will affect the steering and I've "heard" it can bend the rear of the frame on compacts.Does anybody know of a person with a MJR installed on a Tacoma 4x4???

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
The only way I see it affecting the steering is if your springs in the rear of the Tacoma are either shot or won't hold the weight of the bike and throwing off the distribution. I'm deciding on installing one of the racks on my caprice classic. It has a full frame but since I tow my travel trailer with it, I installed airbags. The tongue weight of my trailer is about 350 to 400# so a bike won't be too much. If the rear is too far down I just pump up the airbags. The airbags don't compromise the ride like airshocks do or even new heavier duty springs.

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Has anyone used it with a 250F? I just picked mine up, and the frame angle seems to allow it to rock on the rack front to back. I saw on their website that there is an adapter. Looks like I"m going to need one, but was wondering if anyone has dealt with this?

Badgas

Aug 8, 2001
MXDad,

I use mine with both a KTM 300 and a Montesa Cota. The Monty (being a trials bike) has the most extreme frame angle you will find. I have not had any problems thus far. Lock the pegs in with the pins and put a rachet style tiedown around the swing arm and the rack platform. Then you will have NO problems with the bike moving around or losing it on a flat bed.

GotSand

Aug 28, 2001
Wow!!!
CPT Jack, that could of been very scary. The two pins to hold the bike down seem very secure, but I'd feel much better if they had 2 additional pins to go around the frame in front for redundancy.
This weekend was my first experience with the rack, I'm very happy with it. I did notice that after loading my bike and driving for a 1/4 mile, the bike shifted a little. Fortunately I took a piss break before getting on the highway, and noticed the bike was loose. I was able to tighten the pins an additional 1/2 inch on each side.

I will now make sure I check the pins after the first mile or so after first loading the bike on the carrier.

Top Bottom