Moto Pro / Race Tech fork valving ?

Dogger

Dec 31, 2001
I'm going to get new fork valves for my CR but I would need info (experiences) about Moto Pro and Race Tech products. According to their websites, they sell similar products. Both sell a Do-It-Yourself valve set for replacing the stock valve with a better flowing one. But I wonder are they comparable?
Or is it all up to Your ability to set the valve for Your personal weight/riding style?
If You have done the job of replacing the stock valve with either one tell how You succeeded.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I've had great luck with the Race Tech Gold Valves -both shock & forks -They include an excellent video showing the entire tear down & installation process. You ARE responsible for configuring the shim stack to suit your weight & riding style, but their website gives you a very good starting point [suggested shim stack configuration] - if you give them very good input data. Don't tell them the kind of rider you'd like to be ! You must also use the spring rate they suggest or their suggested valving will be off. They have fairly good customer support [telephone] if you can get through to one of the tech guys but they're not too good at answering e-mail

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
I dont know about moto pro but I have heard from a few people that the Rach tech gold valves were a headache to tune and get right. That is just what I have heard I have no experiance with them. Whether it is Rach tech base valves, moto pro base valves, Gp rapid valves, or stock or whoever, It is all about testing and learning. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands I would have a company valve it for you. I am running my own valve stack in my forks and shock that my brother and i came up with for my 01 CR. IT is pretty good and I am a good rider so I know what im talking about. I am doing something to the midvavle that should make my forks even better. If I were you I would revavle your own suspension before you shell out the money for the gold valves.

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
i tried moto-pro on my 00 cr250. took 5 or 6 weeks to get forks back. he also said the valves ib the cr were fine and did not recommend changing them. boyyom line is that forks were not improved. due to long wait and no improvement i can not rec..

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
race tech gold valves are great in two ways:

first they have an excellent tutorial on what it takes to dissassemble,revalve, and reassemble yoru suspension.

second you appreciate the experience a good tuner must have when revalving your suspension for you.

The gold valves are excellent if you want to try it yourself and you have little experience with suspensions but have experience with tools and mechanical abilities. But afterall is said and done with fine tuning of the average settings they give You know why a good suspension tuner charges what they do.

Dogger

Dec 31, 2001
Thank You guys for Your comments!
I've come to conclusion that my choice will be Race Tech, because of their long experience. I understand that it takes some testing and experimenting until You get forks to work, but it's surely easier when the starting point is "in the ballpark".

Top Bottom