MOTOCROSS ACTION MID-WEEK REPORT

Daryl Ecklund

#WHIPITWEDNESDAY

Rider: Josh Mosiman
Year: 2019
Bike: Cooper Webb’s Red Bull Straight Rhythm KTM 250SX two-stroke

TWO-STROKE SPOTLIGHT: JIMMY ÖBERG’S 2015 AF KX150

Editor’s note: Please keep those submissions coming. If you would like your bike to be featured in the “Two-Stroke Spotlight,” please email me at darylecklundmxa@gmail.com. All I ask is that you give a breakdown of your bike and a detailed description of the build. Please also send a few photos of your steed. By submitting your bike for the “Two-Stroke Spotlight,” you agree to release all ownership rights to the images and copy to MXA. Please don’t email me spam or try selling me Taylor Swift concert tickets or email me spam. I already celebrate T-Swizzle’s entire collective, and there will be “bad blood” if you send me junk mail. See what I did there? Happy submitting your smoker.

INSIDE KEN ROCZEN’S RED BULL STRAIGHT RHYTHM WINNING CR250 SMOKER

LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN | 1990 YAMAHA YZ250

RIP CONNOR WEBB | KILLED AT THE SUPERCROSS FUTURES RACE DURING THE LAS VEGAS MONSTER CUP

Connor Webb (no relation to Cooper Webb) tragically passed away on Sunday, October 20th, 2019 during the Monster Every Cup Futures race. The details of his injuries have not been released. Connor leaves behind a family and extensive community. Go to the Go Fund Me page made for him to support his family.

KTM ANNOUNCES 2020 PRADO & CAIROLI SPECIAL EDITION MODELS FOR EUROPE

2020 Jorge Prado KTM 250SXF Edition.

Press Release: 2019 was a year of domination for KTM’s Jorge Prado where the young Spaniard demonstrated his talent, dedication and consistency to take his second consecutive FIM MX2 Motocross World Championship title. With 31 moto wins and 16 overalls including 14 1-1 finishes this season, the 18-year-old has been nothing short of exceptional aboard his Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM 250SXF, which earned its 11th title win from the last 12 campaigns. In celebration of Prado’s incredible year, KTM created something special and is now pleased to announce the limited edition KTM 250SXF PRADO MY2020.
This READY TO RACE machine offers premium components such as Factory triple clamps anodized in orange, a composite skid plate and a Selle Dalla Valle Factory seat. In addition, this sublime model that formed the basis of Prado’s championship winning bike has a race-inspired orange frame, semi-floating front disc, a front brake disc guard, an orange rear sprocket, a Regina gold chain and of course Red Bull KTM Factory Racing style graphics with Prado’s number ‘61’ front and rear. For riders who want the sharpest weapon with an exclusive specification, they should look no further than the KTM 250SXF PRADO.

“To have a production bike with the number ‘61’ on it is something that you can only dream of as a child – it’s really special and I think it looks great. We’ve had a fantastic season and I’d like to thank KTM for this celebration of our success together. It’s really cool. I am very proud to be part of the orange family and it’s a big honor to see the KTM 250SXF PRADO machine go into production,” confirms Prado.
2020 Tony Cairoli KTM 450SXF Edition.
When it comes to a championship-winning pedigree, the KTM 450SXF is a model developed in racing with victory in mind. A lot of this incredible bike’s success can be associated with legendary rider Antonio ‘Tony’ Cairoli, who continues to build a legacy thanks to his nine world championship titles and continued presence at the sharp end of the MXGP field.
Cairoli helped shape the latest generation of this proven race-winner, which is simply the most competitive Motocross bike out on track. In tribute to a legend, KTM would like to announce the launch of the KTM 450SXF CAIROLI MY2020. This bike is even more READY TO RACE and, like the KTM 250SXF PRADO, enjoys exquisite features as well as exclusive Red Bull KTM Factory Racing graphics with Cairoli’s globally recognised ‘222’ number.
“My bike is something really special to me and over the years we have made so many big steps in development of the KTM 450SXF as we hunted success at the races. A lot of work went into the latest generation of the 450 and I love racing as much as I always have. To have this tribute from KTM is very humbling. To see riders out there with the number 222 on a bike that looks so much like my Red Bull KTM Factory Racing machine is really cool. It’s an exceptional bike that has been developed by the best engineers in the world, and this is a really special model. I look forward to seeing them out there,” said Cairoli.
“At KTM we are proud to have two of the world’s greatest Motocross athletes influence the development of our machines and we are happy to take full advantage of it. In celebration of Prado’s incredible season and in tribute to Cairoli’s continued success in MXGP we decided to build two special models that feature some premium components and a true Factory look. They will be available on a strictly limited basis in European dealers during the final quarter of 2019,” told KTM Senior Product Manager Offroad, Joachim Sauer.
The KTM 450SXF CAIROLI will arrive in KTM dealers across Europe at the end of October, whilst the KTM 250SXF PRADO will be available at authorized European KTM dealers in December.
For more information please visit your local KTM dealer or www.ktm.com.
MXA’S MOOSE RACING BIKE MAT

We used the new Moose Racing bike mat when we shot our static video clips for our 450 Shootout video.

The Moose Racing bike mats are designed dress up your pit while also being environmentally friendly. The bike mats absorb up to six liters of fluid like radiator coolant along with other solvent based products that can harm the environment by containing them within the mat. It’s also lightweight and easily washable. You can find the mats on Moose Racing’s website for $78.95.

With a width of 31.5″ and length of 78 3/4 inches, the mat fits perfectly under your bike.

JOIN TEAM EVS FOR THE 2020 SEASON

MXA RACE TESTS ODI’S NEW PODIUM CFT RC4 BEND HANDLEBARS

We mounted the ODI Podium CFT Ricky Carmichael bend handlebars on for Moto 2 at Octobercross last weekend.

Last Saturday while racing out at REM’s Octobercross event, MXA test rider Brian Medeiros had some issues with his hands going numb in the first Open Pro class moto. We had a brand new set of ODI’s new Podium CFT Ricky Carmichael Edition handlebars and ODI Emig Pro V2 lock-on grips with us and we figured this was the perfect time for him to do some testing on them. If you follow MXA at all, you know that we love race testing. Only in a race do you truly push your limits and give it everything you got. Sure, in practice you can get a great feel for how the bike is performing, but it isn’t until the gate drops when you figure out if your setting is dialed in or not.

The acronym CFT in the CFT Podium handlebars name, stands for controlled flex technology and to our pleasant surprise Brian felt a noticeable difference in the second Moto. His hands didn’t go numb and with the new ODI bars and Emig Pro V2 grips, he was able to have more control during the 20 minute Moto which allowed him to pick better lines and ride an overall smoother race. His 9-9 scores meant that the handlebars didn’t help him make anymore passes, but with a stacked 20 rider Pro gate and a brutally rough Glen Helen track, Brian appreciated the new comfort he had on the track and we are all even more excited to continue testing them now.

Up close on the ODI Emig Pro V2 lock-on grips.

ODI’s Emig Pro V2 lock-on grips were also added with the new handlebars. These grips are soft and grippy and they also played into helping add comfort and eliminate fatigue in Brian’s hands. As you can see in this close up photo, the extra-soft, undercut independent ribs were added to deliver lateral and rotational traction on the grips while also adding comfort.

Brian Medeiros approves of the new ODI bars and grips. Look for a full test coming soon in the magazine.

LEVI SHERWOOD TO RETIRE FROM PROFESSIONAL FREESTYLE COMPETITION

WHAT THE MXA WRECKING CREW IS UP TO

After Jody made the call to Roger DeCoster, we were able to get our hands on Cooper Webb’s Red Bull Straight Rhythm KTM 300SX. This bike was sweet to say the least. As close to a factory smoker you can get these days.

The 250SX was made into a 300cc machine with the bolt-on 300cc kit KTM makes. Many of the factory parts came right off Webb’s factory KTM 450SXF.

MXA’s Josh Mosiman has a field day on the bike.

We also got our hands on a 2020 Husqvarna TX300i. This is the fuel-injected two-stroke model that offers the motocross frame, revlaved motocross suspension, electric start, six-speed transmission and you don’t have to mix any gas. It is a new model for 2020 designed for cross-country racing.

Josh ripping the Husky off-road bike on the Milestone motocross track.

Josh and our videographer, Travis Fant, were riding double to test out the suspension.

While we were at Milestone we saw Jordon Smith riding his new Pro Circuit KX250 ride for the first time.

Jordon looked good on green.

We also got two other smokers in the studio and looking to get them on the track later in the week. Here is the 2020 KTM 125SX.
The other tiddler we got is the tried and true 2020 Yamaha YZ125. Big changes for 2020? We wish, the bike is identical for 2020.

MOTO | TRIVIA

Name the rider and year of the photo. Answer at the bottom of the page.

MXA PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MOOSE RACING BRAKE ROTORS

Press Release: Bent or worn brake rotor? Replace it with the brand new Moose Racing Front and Rear Brake Rotors. Manufactured from high content stainless steel, the rotors provide greater friction over OEM rotors at a more affordable price. The laser-cut design of the Brake Rotors provide improved braking power and cooling under extreme braking. Front Brake Rotor suggested retail $79.95. Rear Brake Rotor suggested retail $63.95. For more information head over to www.mooseracing.com
2020 MXA 250 FOUR-STROKE SHOOTOUT

2020 MXA 450 FOUR-STROKE SHOOTOUT

MXA GEAR GUIDE

Josh Mosiman shows perfect technique on the bike, without the bike.

Helmet: 6D ATR-2 Motion–$695.00
Goggles: X Brand 19 EKS-S Premium–$69.99
Jersey: O’Neal Mayhem-Lite Hexx–$44.99
Pant: O’Neal Mayhem-Lite Hexx–$119.99
Gloves: O’Neal Mayhem Rizer–$29.99
Boot: Alpinestars Tech 10–$549.99

CLASSIC PHOTO

Ricky Carmichael and his wrench Mike “Goose” Gosselaar back in 2003.
Moto Trivia answer:
Bob Hannah back in 1983 on a factory Honda CR250.

The post MOTOCROSS ACTION MID-WEEK REPORT appeared first on Motocross Action Magazine.

Continue reading...