Motocross Action

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
This isn't a flame. I just want to point out how they don't know anything about what real people do in this sport. Everybody here has ridden a z50 in a tshirt and jeans. We all loved the sport back then. We did it not for the point for winning, we did it because it is fun. The guys at MXA ALWAYS wear brand new boots. They ride stinking factory bikes for gosh sakes!!! I'd like to see Jody go to REM in a pickup with a stock 1994 kx125. I'd like to see hime race in jeans and plant his face. When his race is done, I'd like to see him come off the track with a huge smile on his face.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
That would be worth seeing. But it's kinda hard to smile after a good face plant.:)

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
literally

one of the guys who rides with Jody at REM every weekend actually refuses to ride in anything else other than blue jeans! He wears old school boots and a plain jersey with what looks like a flack jacket. But the guy only wears blue jeans, not motocross gear pants!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If it looks like flame and smokes like flame...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Maybe not a full-on, scorch your eyeballs flame, but a flame nonetheless, eh?

Kind of an observational flame.:D

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by yzeater
The guys at MXA ALWAYS wear brand new boots. They ride stinking factory bikes for gosh sakes!!! I'd like to see Jody go to REM in a pickup with a stock 1994 kx125. I'd like to see hime race in jeans and plant his face.

i'm not defending them (i too think they are idiots) but would you ride a stock 94 kx125, wear old boots, etc. if you didn't have to?

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I learned in the 80's that jeans suck and offer little protection. I have always ridden trails full of brush and manzanita. When I got my TT500 I found I was quickly running out of Levi's as they were being tore off my legs by branches when I would zip through the tight trails. I would come home all scratched up and bloody with out even going down. As I see it, in the long run it is cheaper to buy proper gear.
Though I do get the point about MXA, they are a bunch moto snobs, no Malcolm Smiths here :think . I remember when they tested the DRZ 400 and said that it sucked because it wouldn't moto well. Hey, guess what? The DRZ is a trail/enduro bike. If they put a supercross suspension on the bike how fun would it be for the actual people who are going to BUY the bike. Is dip weed going to buy one, I don't think so. Not to generalize, but way too many people I run into at my local mx tracks are punks and posers, there fore MXA is right where they should be content wise. I would have to guess to many of these mx punks their bikes are and extension for their inadequate anatomy. Punk in; junk out. :p

Trail Rider magazine all the way.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I got nothing against the MXA "wrecking crew" testing any and every bike, and giving their opinion on how "moto-able" the bike is. Heck, they had gobs of fun with the XR400 and KLX300 a few years back (pre YZF, that is ;) ).

I just don't like their "holier than thou" attitude and Cali-centric reporting.

Gimme another RacerX, bartender!

And as for the wearing jeans riding, too many seams in the wrong places, contributing to severe monkey-butt!:eek:

Tolson

May 16, 2001
New gear

Obviously only the guy you knows that Chuck "Feets" Minert wears blue jeans when he rides has seen the MXA Wrecking crew at REM. The truth is Jody rarely matches often wearing different colored gear from different years. On the boot front Jody prefers to wear Alpinestars (Hi-point replicas) boots that they quit making years ago. You guys are confusingly what we wear for photos in the magazines (new looks better for pictures) and what we wear on a week in and week out basis.

Feel free to check up on us at any time. We are at REM every Saturday to the left of the Ambulance.

It is kind of funny how anything with MXA in it ends up in the Flame bin.

Sincerely,

Tim Olson
Motocross Action
Root of the problem since 1973

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Re: New gear

Originally posted by Tolson
Feel free to check up on us at any time. We are at REM every Saturday to the left of the Ambulance.

Ya know what Tim? If I tried to ride MX every weekend, I'd have to bring my own ambulance too. Just kidding:)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
:think Hmmm....

How many sizes over should ones helmet be to accomodate a "butt-hat" ?
AND....does Jody wear the new or old style butt-hat for photo ops?

IMHO...I think the old style butt-hats are way too dated. The full coverage butt-hats are way more appropriate these days!

:confused:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You havent seen the DRN Butt-Hat II, have you? It is in the pre-production phase as we speak, testing is almost complete.... the one-off production model will make it's debut at DirtWeek. Who will demo it? The "winner" will be selected on site. :D

Tim,
I promise, if a MXA thread gets started and gets 4-5 positive replies in a row, it won't make it's way to the flame board. Don't feel too bad, I can show you a place where DRN gets ripped a lot worse than MXA does here. :confused:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
The full coverage butt-hats are way more appropriate these days!

I never could get used to the smell of the full coverage ones.:)

Last edited:

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
I kinda like it when MXA "disses" a bike like a DRZ. Why? because enevitably someone will want to try to moto with a trail bike that they swear is just as good as a mx bike. If they hammer a bike and give an honest review then consider it a service. Just remember the name of the magazine is MOTOCROSS action

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Re: Re: Motocross Action

Originally posted by mx547 :
"........but would you ride a stock 94 kx125, wear old boots, etc. if you didn't have to?"

1- no, a '94 250 or 500 but no "mini's".
2- i wear old boots and jeans because i preffer to, not because i have to.

Although this brings up a good point!
When/where is someone going to manufacture riding gear that doesnt look like riding gear?? ie: all the gaudy "racer wanna be" logos and stripes.
I probably would buy specific gear for riding , except i don't want to look like i'm trying to look like a MX pro.
I want to ride, without looking like a "poser".

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Re: Re: Re: Motocross Action

Originally posted by OnAnySunday
I probably would buy specific gear for riding , except i don't want to look like i'm . . . a "poser".
MSR Gold Medal gear. Understated, solid colors, reasonable price.

Or you could go for the MSR Evader gear--Camo!:cool:

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
How about an old Bell Moto 3, you could fit a lot of butt in one of those cavernous melon buckets. I am tempted to get out the Dremel and some fiber glass to form a nice butt crease in a old helmet and donate it to the cause.

I still think it would be fun to vote a temporary butt head avatar by popular demand. The Salinas Ramblers have a large soup bone, the "Bone Award", that a member must wear to all club functions until it is issued to another member for doing something dumb.;)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by KXaggerator
The Salinas Ramblers have a large soup bone, the "Bone Award", that a member must wear to all club functions until it is issued to another member for doing something dumb.;)

I'd be wearing that a lot if I was in the club.:)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by mopowa
I kinda like it when MXA "disses" a bike like a DRZ. Why? because enevitably someone will want to try to moto with a trail bike that they swear is just as good as a mx bike. If they hammer a bike and give an honest review then consider it a service. Just remember the name of the magazine is MOTOCROSS action
If it's MOTOCROSS action, why are they reviewing a DRZ in the first place?

B

biglou

Not to change the subject, but-I've moto'd my DRZ, after spending cubic dollars on it, and I've seen a guy moto the crap out of a DRZ. If you make it to DirtWeek, you'll see the same guy finish top five in the A-B class on a DRZ and possibly (again) help demonstrate during Wardy's MX school.:D Not all that common, but most definitely possible. 90% rider, 10% bike.:)

Top Bottom