Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
Hi all.

I got in Monday night from a 7 day all inclusive MX vacation run by 2 British guys, Craig and Alan called MX Mecca. Alan picked me up at the San Diego airport last Monday and brought me to “Camp Craig” which is a small ranch located at the top of one of the hills over looking San Diego. The view from the ranch was spectacular. There I met 3 other riders that were there from England for a 10 day trip These Brits had me laughing all week it was like being with Monty Python what a great group to ride with. We stayed in what was called the “Bunk House” It was an open floor plan room with motocross banners and jerseys from famous riders decorating the walls. The room was about 1000sq feet or so and included a food stocked kitchen, living room with big screen TV and DVR filled with supercross. There were 3 adult sized bunk beds and shelves for stashing clothes.
In the “main” house Craig and family were hosting 3 British kids 15 years old for a MX vacation. These kids were really well mannered and it restored my confidence that there are still some good kids out there. In total there was 7 of us I think they usually only do 6 riders.
In 7 days I rode 5 different motocross tracks. Perris Raceway, Starwest, Wild Fish Ranch, Barona Oaks and Glen Helen. I thought Perris and Starwest were the best of the 5.
Parris and Starwest were really fun and were like a mixture of my local tracks PIR and MT View just bigger with more jumps. At Barona Oaks I got to be on the track with Ron Lechine. Barona Oaks was also a really good track, Wild Fish ranch was a privet Supercross practice track out in the desert. After a full morning of riding the track the owners son took us on a 2 hour desert ride out to these hills that you see on the riding videos where one can “MX Freeride”.
I did not like Glen Helen, although I got to be on the track with Vet champion Doug Dubach and world GP champ Seb Tortelli. Glen Helen had an open practice which was a free for all, everybody on the track at the same time Bikes, Quads, Peewees, Pros, Beginners, cats, dogs, and kitchen sinks. This seemed like a recipe for big trouble on a National track that is known for being fast. ( kind of like Washougal fast).
We were driven to the tracks in a full size hotel van/bus with a big screen TV which we watched DVDs as some of the tracks were a bit of a drive. At the track They had an assortment of Honda and KTM 250F and 450F’s to ride all set up and ready to go.
Each night our riding gear was washed for us which was really great no stinky jerseys and socks.
Breakfast each day was continental, lunch at the track was sandwiches, fruit, and chips. Dinner each night was special as Craig’s wife cooked up huge meals for us served on the patio with a big outdoor fire place. On our 2 rest days we toured Pro Circuit, Troy Lee and the Oakley factory. If you ever get to Southern Cali. Be sure to tour this building it looks like no other building I have ever seen almost like something out of a Hollywood movie. We also went Go Cart racing with Alan. 7 competitive motocrossers on fast go carts was really fun as we pushed each other hard for position. On the day we went Go cart racing one of the British guys, Danny, went with Craig and rented Harleys. Craig took him on a long day ride up in the mountains.
The British guys bought all new riding gear as the British pound is worth about $1.44 so they were able to get some deals and save big time. I can say that 7 days is not long enough to do this trip, there is so much stuff to do that I could not fit it in. The day I left was a rest day and the Guys were trying to decide between Golfing, Harley riding, surfing, jet skiing, wake boarding, skeet shooting or touring downtown San Diego.
I wish I could do this trip 2 or 3 times each winter.

Dave Ryan
Oregon Old Timers #638

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds like something I would do while sleeping, a truly awesome experience, congrats!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom