Motocrosser to D-36 Enduro Guy???????

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Thinking about doing the District 36 Enduro Series this year (maybe).

I used to practice with Rodney Smith sometimes and he always told me I should try Hare Scrambles or Enduros and I think I might do it this year. My question is as a former 125cc and 250cc Intermediate what class should I ride in the Enduros?

In riding Motocross with Rodney Smith and Dustin Bloomfield I was not nearly as fast as them (not even close), but in riding with my ex riding buddy Mark Harvey who was a District 36 Vet B Enduro guy (who finished 2nd Overall in the series way back in 1993) I was faster then him on my 125 and he was on his fully race prepped RMX250 and later on his KTM300
So where do I fit in? I will be riding an old Honda CR125 and want to do the 0-200cc Class, but C, B, A?

I was trying to get my Motocross buddies to do it with me but they are too caught up on Motocross still. These guys are now all at least 30 years old and think that they are going to be the Local James Stewarts.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I would say A. I don't know how D-36 compares to the Blackjack guys around here speed wise. The challenge in enduros being able to still haul after 4 or 5 hours on the bike. If you have the endurance you should do well.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
DWreck said:
I would say A. I don't know how D-36 compares to the Blackjack guys around here speed wise. The challenge in enduros being able to still haul after 4 or 5 hours on the bike. If you have the endurance you should do well.

I better start my jogging routine, :laugh: Really though A? I know all Enduro and Hare Scramble riders are considered Amateurs (1099) wise. But isn't A-AA the equivalent to what would be a Pro Class? Maybe the B class for a Series? Shoot I'll be a Pro though, never could get fast enough in Motocross. :laugh:

THANK YOU very much for your input. Got me over here thinking.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
It is just a different kind of riding than MX. I imagine that I could be a competitive Novice MXer if I spent a little time getting used the the jumps. I rode B in the Blackjack series this year and my best result was 2nd overall B. 11th overall. The previous year I rode C and finished 2nd Overall. At the Leadbelt National Russel Bobbitt was two rows behind me and passed me like I was sitting still in every test section.( I'm talking about being gone out of site in two turns) What I am getting at is I'm nowhere near the top pro's speed wise but endurance wise can outlast a lot of riders. If you rode intermediate MX you should have the raw speed, if you can turn it down between the test sections and and allow yourself to recover you should do well.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You should contact the enduro steward for District 36. You can also read the rule-book at www.ama-d36.org

It's been years since I've raced a D-36 enduro, but my educated guess is they will have you start in C. If you overall the C class your first time out, they'll quickly move you up.

IMO, there is no way they will let you ride A for your first enduro in D-36.

FWIW, I know some strong, highly ranked D-36 'A' Cross Country riders that were told by the steward to ride B class for their first enduros.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
DWreck said:
It is just a different kind of riding than MX. I imagine that I could be a competitive Novice MXer if I spent a little time getting used the the jumps. I rode B in the Blackjack series this year and my best result was 2nd overall B. 11th overall. The previous year I rode C and finished 2nd Overall. At the Leadbelt National Russel Bobbitt was two rows behind me and passed me like I was sitting still in every test section.( I'm talking about being gone out of site in two turns) What I am getting at is I'm nowhere near the top pro's speed wise but endurance wise can outlast a lot of riders. If you rode intermediate MX you should have the raw speed, if you can turn it down between the test sections and and allow yourself to recover you should do well.

Thank You very much for your input. So you finished 2nd Overall 1-year in the C Class and then the very next year got 2nd Overall in the B Class? Consistent and improving in Class Speed, very nice. I hope to have some success. I really think my Endurance is going to be the problem. Sad thing is I am a Certified Personal Trainer (haven't worked at a gym since August though, just been running my Publication from home).

It is going to suck going it alone. In Motocross I have all my buddies out there all of us Racing together. I will have to do this first Enduro Series alone and maybe when they see me at the Motocross Track less and less they will come and see where I am riding.

I am just getting older, had my first child, and plus I want to get in more racing time for the same amount of money entry fee wise.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
dirt bike dave said:
You should contact the enduro steward for District 36. You can also read the rule-book at www.ama-d36.org

It's been years since I've raced a D-36 enduro, but my educated guess is they will have you start in C. If you overall the C class your first time out, they'll quickly move you up.

IMO, there is no way they will let you ride A for your first enduro in D-36.

FWIW, I know some strong, highly ranked D-36 'A' Cross Country riders that were told by the steward to ride B class for their first enduros.

I think I will go with the C Class then. I do want to move up at sometime to the "A" Class. I have been riding a Motocycle since I was 7-Years Old, and it would be nice to finally get a "PAY CHECK" from my sponsors instead of Sponsorship Money only good for products, and I couldn't make it to the Pro Class in Motocross, I wasted a lot of years trying.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
SMMWest said:
Thank You very much for your input. So you finished 2nd Overall 1-year in the C Class and then the very next year got 2nd Overall in the B Class?

Not exactly. And now that I think about it I finished 3rd overall in C for the year. 1st overall VetC.

The second overall B was at a race, not my series result. I wasn't able to make enough races to complete the series.

I think that you will find that most of the riders will be a lot more mellow than the typical MX racer. If you ask at sign up most clubs can hook you up with a mentor and you can kind of learn on the go.

Top Bottom