IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
I searched a little bit and didn't really find what i was looking for on here but...

I was just curious what type of motorcycle jobs are out there i know you could work at a motorcycle shop being a gopher or something of the sort you could be a mechanic or something along those lines but what about on your motorcycle jobs like i don't know making trails at new places or teaching kids(like i am/was) how to ride or something like a dirt bike camp where you can get paid to be on your dirt bike

thanks, Ryan

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
just some examples....

Although these aren't geared toward your "paid to be on your dirtbike caveat" they are interesting links. I've seen postings for everything from mx mechanics for a specific team rider to photojournalist/promotions.

I actually know of a guy up here who works at Honda but also builds arenacross tracks. The possibilities are endless.

(Might I recommend punctuation in your post, or in any future resume/application? Helpful to the person reading although possibly tiresome to you. p?idnnsp!!)

http://motorcycleindustryjobs.com/

http://www.mymotorcyclejobs.com/

http://ezinearticles.com/?Find-and-Secure-Motorcycle-Jobs-with-These-Easy-Steps&id=508669

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/jobs/

http://www.cyclecareers.com/jobs/feed/rss_feed.xml

Last edited:

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

I always used puncuation and correct grammar in my posts while I was in school, but now that I am working full time English class is far from my mind. I will keep that in mind for a resume though.

I am 18 by the way for the job situation.

My current job is maintenece it is alright but defiantly not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I am going to school for computer programing, but I am not sure if that is going to be what I want to do for the rest of my life. I don't know I might love it and be happy, but if i could get paid to do something affiliated with dirt bikes that would be amazing.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
IamRyan said:
motorcycle jobs like i don't know making trails at new places or teaching kids(like i am/was) how to ride or something like a dirt bike camp where you can get paid to be on your dirt bike
Getting paid to ride is a great thing, but I don't know how easy it would be to make a career out of it. I get paid for being a trail guide at a park in Pa, Sometimes it has been to teach kids the basics of riding, sometimes people want to find the challenging trails, or sometimes, they just aren't the adventuring type and don't want to get lost. I also do a lot of trail cutting, and trail work. The trail work i do at my own pace, and the guiding is whenever the park needs a guide for bikes or ATVs. So its not really a job, just puts some extra cash in my pocket. unfortunately the park has been closed for a few months while they are relocating.

There is always the other route of leasing some property, and opening your own off-road park, but then you would quickly realize that you get too busy and don't have the time to enjoy it yourself.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
My friend was like you when he was younger. He now owns a bike shop, and has 2 tracks, and 400 acres of trails he manages...

he has also only ridden once in 2007. :(

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I would suggest that you be careful what you wish for.

Working around motorcycles as a career could possibly be very fun. Just ask all the guys around here that do it. But you might get burnt out.

I love motorcycles (and cars) but I would never want to do anything associated with them for a living (besides racing). These things are my "break" from my normal 9 to 5 job. I fix my motorcycle "to relax" on the weekends.

My regular job is computer programming. It's fun and its what I've wanted to do since I was very young. I have no problem churning out a program all day at work, then going home to program some more until 3 -4 am. But most people would consider me some type of ubernerd freak person.

Unless you are very very passionate about this sport and seriously consider it more than a hobby. I would suggest to maybe just leave it as a hobby.

Just my 2 cents.

IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
Mox69, what company or for whom do you work for and what exactly do you program language and type of programs if you dont mind me asking.

That is what everyone says about me, you are a geek(not as offensive these days) you dont look like the type of person that rides dirtbikes.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I was just having a similar conversation with my buddies over beer last night. I have an obscene amout of random trivial knowledge about bikes I've never ridden kept in my head for who knows what reason. But its still a hobby, and working with bikes all day might be fun, or it might make your hobby "work" which isn't always fun. (they pay you for a reason) I thought briefly about working at a bike shop over the summers as supplemental income (I'm a teacher) and realized I'd rather spend that time riding.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
OldassKDX said:
I thought briefly about working at a bike shop over the summers as supplemental income (I'm a teacher) and realized I'd rather spend that time riding.

A wise move. :cool:

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
IamRyan said:
Mox69, what company or for whom do you work for and what exactly do you program language and type of programs if you dont mind me asking.

That is what everyone says about me, you are a geek(not as offensive these days) you dont look like the type of person that rides dirtbikes.

Right now I work for the University I went to school at.

It is sort of work, sort of research for my master's degree. I spent most of the past 3-4 months programming in C. We are attacking (or "hacking" I guess) a popular p2p network. We just submitted a paper on the topic.

Yes I am very much a geek, but I don't really look the part. I have very few other geek type friends, I really don't get along with them too well. After the kids in my major started coming to class dressed up as lord of the rings characters...just for fun, I realized I needed to find things to do outside of the nerdy area I work :)

I love what I do, but I try not to be your stereotypical overweight , mountain dew loving, D&D playing, pony tail and sandals computer guy. Though I love mountain dew and D&D, I don't tell my friends.

Top Bottom