Cr85Expert52

May 25, 2003
Well I am 16 and I got a cr85 expert, I am gonna get a new bike in a year and then start racing. When I am about 18 I want to get a sponser and start stepping it up and start riding all over the country like RC or Reed or Windham. Make money that way, but this is a DREAM. I really want to be like a mechanic for a rider. Like the mechanic for RC. I guess it would be my advantage to go to MMI and get a degree there. Is this an alternative for college. I am an honor roll student in high school. I am in 10th right now. Getting into college is no problem. But college doesn't offer really anything I am looking for. How much is it to go to MMI. Is it worth it. I guess you have to establish residence there. Can anyone give me info on this , please. Also, how much does a mechanic like RC's make a year.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Bruce'll tell you MMI is the greatest place on earth. Don't believe anything else you ever hear.

And...are you sure you can drink enough beer to be RC's mechanic? I doubt it.

ouch.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I just read that thread, the advice is of great help!! I am heading off to the University of Alberta in september to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering, then hopefully I'll end up working at Honda or Toyota, or possibly getting into motorcycles. Thanks for all the great info!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Much better choice, IMO. :cool: Ain't nuttin' wrong wit a good edumacation, as Pred would say. Advanced math, physics, physical chemistry, you name it...will help a lot. And even if it doesn't, it's a hell of a lot of fun to learn about. Have a great time.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yep, get your degree. unfortunately there are some real clever peeps out there that have to take orders from some shmuck that doesnt know his arse from his elbow, just because they didnt get that piece of paper. University is a great training place for life also, before i went i could only drink 4 pints of beer before i passed out, by the time i was done, 10 pints was no problem, but the other day i had over 10 and it nearly killed me....i am begining to think i need to go back and get another qualification, LOL:)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I have a interesting perspective that really doesn’t give much conclusion to this but is a little unique.

I have three cousins that are brothers. Their dad was a key player in the development of the M16 and was always giving them things to fix just like pretty much everybody in the family did with all the boys. (Since these guys were several years older than me I typically got to fix the stuff they had because it ended up broke by my time)

Anyway,… One brother went to collage and got a masters in mechanical engineering, got picked up by GM as a suspension guy and quickly moved him through the ranks. He worked on the first GM front drive platform (“X” cars) and the transverse composite rear on the ‘vette plus others. He raced shifter karts and really enjoyed the racing environment. A friend took him in the pits at a race and he happened to bump in to Paul Newman who was having some suspension issues. Long story short my cousin was hired by Newman-Haas and was very happy during his time there.

His older brother wanted to be a pilot and so after several years of various gigs ended up getting hired by Group 44 Racing to fly their plane. After several years he was bored and thinking of a change, instead they knew he was interested and able so he was brought in to the shop to do various tasks. One was creating carbon fiber pieces, his first piece happens to show up on TV everything the Wide World of Sports show the agony of defeat with the driver pod sliding across the track.

The youngest brother could never decide what he wanted to do. After a long stint in the Army he got hired by John-Deere to work on an engine assembly line. He did this for several years ad then started working on an alternate design that was as radical as the Wankel Rotory is to the standard crank & piston design. To this day I don’t know exactly what it is but that he has patented it even though J-D desperately wanted it but wasn’t really willing to pay for it.

Three very diverse paths to similar ends. I personally think if you have the natural ability it can only be enhanced and polished by getting involved with people who are real craftsmen of their profession. Some people require “school” to bring out what they have and others require more of an apprentice learning method. Finding both the method and the right people is the tricky part.

Top Bottom