motorcycle vrs automotive oil?

weimedog

Damn Yankees
Boy I hate pride fights. Seem like Rich's motive is simply to get as much good data on this network as possible. Also to "moderate" the tone and style so we, as members; can assimilate the data and make an informed decision. I thank Rich for that. He's done an excellent job from my point of view. I have learned a lot from the diverse data spilled over this site.

By the way, here is a bit of text on another posting here at DRN from the Belray folks...

"EXS Synthetic Superbike
10W-50 contains ester base stock which molecularly bonds to metal engine
parts, unlike the PAO's found in many competitors' oils. The esters give
incredible start-up protection and, although it is more expensive to make,
we feel that your experience with EXS will show that it is worth it."

I believe this might be the reference to other base stocks.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

Man we made headlines over at thumpertalk now everyone is gonna come over here to see the fuss but only see love man!!! I dont know guy's love in a lube forum makes me feel kinda funny,like when we used to climb the ropes in gym class.

weimedog

Damn Yankees
Arizona, I think you need to hang on to those handle bars a little more often and forget about ropes.

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

The pigs are flyin' on this little island, thanks. The YZ250F is undoubtedly the greatest dirt bike ever made(once you get it started).

I just love these oil threads repeating themselves every two to three months or so.

------------------
Ando
Just another day in Paradise
Two Wheels, Kauai

SO Ando, what OIL are you running in the 250F?

Well I was at Pep Boys the other day in the oil isle and there was this guy there with a Pep Boys shirt on and I asked him what he would use in a motorcycle, and he said in his old Trail 90 that he just recycled the old oil from his Dad's Buick after they change it cuz since cars and motorcycles need different additives that the car used up all the car additives but there was still a whole bunch of motorcyle additives in it, but I had to make sure that I added a can of STP PowerUP to get maximum performance and protection.

------------------
Ando
Just another day in Paradise
Two Wheels, Kauai

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
I believe these debates arrive from the fact that in our crankcases there is a mixed enviroment. What may be optimum for our gear sets, may be detrimental to our clutch sets.

Also there are three classes of consumers;
.99 quart - (oil does its job w/frequent changes)
$2.29 quart - (best lubrication and breakdown resistance for the money)
$5-$8 quart -(Money is not an issue, just want the best protection one can buy)

[This message has been edited by Shaw520 (edited 03-16-2001).]

Is it not logical that good quality, purpose made oil outperform cheap non purpose made oil ??? Motorcycle have special lubrication requirement (wet clutch,shared transmission oil,hi engine temp,high rpm..)that need to be taken in consideration ...If you have a 100$ bike use .99$ oil !!
I will stick with Belray EXS...even at 49.95can$$ a gallon...

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

weimedog

Damn Yankees
I guess I fit into Shaw520's last group. Cost no object. But one thing I learned is the Mobil One 15w50 may be an anomoly as they can keep the price down because of their enormous production/sales size vs. the other offerings. The guys who build additives for my trucks have told me that Mobil One is hard to build product for as its too damn good to justify their additives. ( They do automotive/trucking as well...and I asked everyone about this oil thing )

I change my oil after every race or every two rides anyway. helps my keep track of whats going on in my transmission and motor. I am torn between the Mobil One 15w50 option and Amsoil or Belray. Until I hear compelling reasons or data NOT to use Mobil One, I'm going to use it in all my bikes except my VOR which I use BelRay or Amsoil in (Depending on which dealer I go to for stuff)

Right now its BelRay because this is a cost-is-no-object situation and I believe the BelRay is the best money can buy right now and thats what my VOR dealer stocks.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

Boit

Sponsoring Member
I had something witty and humorous to post, but it has slipped by me. I think it had something to do with a guy named Pythagoras. Didn't he invent the circle? Maybe it was Mr. Clean. I dunno.

Vic

***** freak.
Yes, and Rich is the majority shareholder in the Mobil Oil Corporation. The company would long since be bankrupt, if not for Rich touting Mobil 1 on this board.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
Jeff,

Don’t be sorry for the post, it was very useful. Some here may have different opinions but then they need to provide proof. This is just the type of post that I’d like to see!

PS I have been using synthetic auto motor oil in my bikes for years with no clutch problems! I do use motorcycle 2-stoke oil though, those little 2-stoke oil bottles at the hardware store do scare me.

Kevin

------------------
McCune's Scottish Pub
Brews That You Can Chew!