EK

Dec 3, 2000
Deeler,

I personally do not think mixing different brands of oil is that big of a deal. I usually don't because I buy oil by the case to keep fresh oil in the 16 internal comustion engines at home for various uses. Internal combustion engines are one of the all time great inventions (ooops... I digressed).

Most oil mfrs use essentially the same additive package and they get their crude stock from the same source - refined crude oil (basically an impurity removal process). In fact, Castrol used to buy its synthetic base oil from Mobil before they developed their own.

You could even make your own synthetic blend. Synthetic blends are roughly 25% synthetic and the rest conentional oil. Do the math: one quart of synthetic at $5/qt and 3 quarts of conventional oil at $1+/qt will net you about $2/quart for a syntheitc blend. Compare that to your local prices.

Keep in mind what I have suggested is not ecessarily endorsed by oil producers or engine manufacturers. However, consider that if mixing oils presented a problem there would be warnings - remember when synthetics first came out 20+ years ago - they specifically warned against mixing with conventional oil. Now, look at a bottle of synthetic oil, some even state that they are OK to mix with conventional oils.

Keep in mind:
1) 99% of lubrication effectiveness is in the right viscosity
2) caveat emptor (buyer beware)

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC
'99 WR400F (for sale)
'01 TTR125L (wife)
'00 TTR90 (son 1)
'97 XR70R (son 2)
'99 Z50R (daughter)

[This message has been edited by EK (edited 03-21-2001).]

Top Bottom