motorized skooters

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Maybe you have seen them in your town , maybe not. Here we have them, kinda like motorized Razor skooters, plus the regular mopeds (with hi performance pipes now) and the classice cycle skooter at the cycle shop. I dont think there are any laws from riding them whereever...These lil skooters have motors and seats and kids are riding them in the streets, wherever. I know with a moped, you need a drivers license or a moped permit (which is a written drivers test only) to ride on the street.
.....I am flaming because these guys ride all over the place, some with considerable speed, and dont get harrassed. No helmets or eye protection on some either. My flame is that if I went out on my FIFTY, and just putted around, the cops will come and ticket me and impound my bike.........Just the age old reasoning "them damn dirtbikers!).
Obviously I know that the Fifty is Illegal to ride on the streets and I dont ride mine on the streets either. I just flamin thats all.... :flame:

Well them little "whipper snappers" try to ride those GO-PEDS on the side walks and playgrounds and the "fuzz" tickets them and they say they need a licence to ride them on the street, although they do not get ticketed if they ride them on the skate park that is here in town.

Anyone ever play the video game Road Rash. Oh yeah grab a wrench hop on yur dirtbike and whack em all!!! maybe if this was MAD MAX world heh

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Here you can ride them legally on the streets if you are 16 or older. But only on streets marked 30 MPH or lower. They are pretty much considered a bicycle... heck, stock they only go 20 MPH with a light rider on them. A bicycle is much faster.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
A police man told me today that you are supposed to have drivers license, I think he means for the "large $2k scooters" sold at motorcycle dealerships. I wasnt sure how fast those lil ones top out at, 20mph?.

Talked to one of Layton City's Finest Officers...Told me in Utah, you can be ticketed for riding the motorized scooter on the streets although most officers won't ticket the kids...He was telling me a kid on a piped scooter rides to school past his house in the early hours and for hours up and down the streets on saturday, but he told me that even though it bothers him, he won't issue a citation, because "when we were younger, we rode our dirt bikes on the roads and wouldn't feel right giving a ticket", same reason when he responds to my neighbors complaints " if I had almost 2 acres I would ride back there too", he does not give me a ticket, thinks it is BS...Let the kids ride as long as they are being responsible and not causin trouble or impeding trafic...

-dc

Talked to one of Layton City's Finest Officers...Told me in Utah, you can be ticketed for riding the motorized scooter on the streets although most officers won't ticket the kids...He was telling me a kid on a piped scooter rides to school past his house in the early hours and for hours up and down the streets on saturday, but he told me that even though it bothers him, he won't issue a citation, because "when we were younger, we rode our dirt bikes on the roads and wouldn't feel right giving a ticket", same reason when he responds to my neighbors complaints " if I had almost 2 acres I would ride back there too", he does not give me a ticket, thinks it is BS...Let the kids ride as long as they are being responsible and not causin trouble or impeding trafic...

What happened to the Days of Riding your MX bike 8-9 miles to school, drivin past the Local Police, and no harassment? Things have changed and if they had those killer scooters when I was a kid...nah...would still ride the MX Bike to school...

-dc

Live the Dream...

Rcannon

Subscriber
I have a young friend with one of the scooters. He was kind enough to let me try it.

I hit the end of the driveway and attempted the turn on to the sidewalk. I shot over the bars like I had a bottle rocket taped to my behind. I landed hard.

I hate scooters. I hate scooters worse than I hate three-wheelers.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
I agree with extrememoto.

I'd rather have the kids riding around on their 20 MPH scooters than out causing real trouble.

Rcannon

Subscriber
I just wish I could have had one when I was a kid. Sure beats closepins and playing cards for the noise.

I bought my nephew the "Ricky Carmichael CR 250" plastic motor for his bicycle. Very cool!

as long these scooter kids have nothing against dirt bikes I have nothing against them. I live in a granny neihborhood so I never see one as it is

I have always promoted kids and motorized whats'itz in the back yard and such.I think it is better than them doing drugs or... what do they call it now? "Gang Banging" or "Thugs" around the town and graffiti all over the place.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
texas has some fairly liberal new laws in this regard, you can ride a 40cc motorized scooter in the street, no license, no age restriction.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?amp;threadid=87666

The new Texas law provides that electric scooters and gas scooters with engines less than 40cc may be ridden on public thoroughfares provided that the speed limit does not exceed 35 mph.  No license is required but the scooters must follow the same regulations as those that apply to bicycles.  Counties and municipalities are allowed to pass there own regulations.

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
N. Texas SP
In Tulsa,, you will be ticketed for riding&nbsp;these electric scooters anywhere a Licensed Vehicle is allowed.&nbsp; The electric scooters do not have titles, ergo, illegal in the city on all streets AND sidewalks.&nbsp; They are allowed in Private Parking lots.&nbsp; Several kids have received citations for riding on city streets, sidewalks, without helmets, or eye protection.&nbsp; The citations included, riding an unlicensed vehicle on public roads, riding without a license(underage), riding without a helmet(underage), and riding without eye protectection, and operating a vehicle without insurance.&nbsp; Seems appropriate to me.