motorized skooters

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Maybe you have seen them in your town , maybe not. Here we have them, kinda like motorized Razor skooters, plus the regular mopeds (with hi performance pipes now) and the classice cycle skooter at the cycle shop. I dont think there are any laws from riding them whereever...These lil skooters have motors and seats and kids are riding them in the streets, wherever. I know with a moped, you need a drivers license or a moped permit (which is a written drivers test only) to ride on the street.
.....I am flaming because these guys ride all over the place, some with considerable speed, and dont get harrassed. No helmets or eye protection on some either. My flame is that if I went out on my FIFTY, and just putted around, the cops will come and ticket me and impound my bike.........Just the age old reasoning "them damn dirtbikers!).
Obviously I know that the Fifty is Illegal to ride on the streets and I dont ride mine on the streets either. I just flamin thats all.... :flame:

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Well them little "whipper snappers" try to ride those GO-PEDS on the side walks and playgrounds and the "fuzz" tickets them and they say they need a licence to ride them on the street, although they do not get ticketed if they ride them on the skate park that is here in town.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Here you can ride them legally on the streets if you are 16 or older. But only on streets marked 30 MPH or lower. They are pretty much considered a bicycle... heck, stock they only go 20 MPH with a light rider on them. A bicycle is much faster.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
A police man told me today that you are supposed to have drivers license, I think he means for the "large $2k scooters" sold at motorcycle dealerships. I wasnt sure how fast those lil ones top out at, 20mph?.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Talked to one of Layton City's Finest Officers...Told me in Utah, you can be ticketed for riding the motorized scooter on the streets although most officers won't ticket the kids...He was telling me a kid on a piped scooter rides to school past his house in the early hours and for hours up and down the streets on saturday, but he told me that even though it bothers him, he won't issue a citation, because "when we were younger, we rode our dirt bikes on the roads and wouldn't feel right giving a ticket", same reason when he responds to my neighbors complaints " if I had almost 2 acres I would ride back there too", he does not give me a ticket, thinks it is BS...Let the kids ride as long as they are being responsible and not causin trouble or impeding trafic...

-dc

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Talked to one of Layton City's Finest Officers...Told me in Utah, you can be ticketed for riding the motorized scooter on the streets although most officers won't ticket the kids...He was telling me a kid on a piped scooter rides to school past his house in the early hours and for hours up and down the streets on saturday, but he told me that even though it bothers him, he won't issue a citation, because "when we were younger, we rode our dirt bikes on the roads and wouldn't feel right giving a ticket", same reason when he responds to my neighbors complaints " if I had almost 2 acres I would ride back there too", he does not give me a ticket, thinks it is BS...Let the kids ride as long as they are being responsible and not causin trouble or impeding trafic...

What happened to the Days of Riding your MX bike 8-9 miles to school, drivin past the Local Police, and no harassment? Things have changed and if they had those killer scooters when I was a kid...nah...would still ride the MX Bike to school...

-dc

Live the Dream...

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have a young friend with one of the scooters. He was kind enough to let me try it.

I hit the end of the driveway and attempted the turn on to the sidewalk. I shot over the bars like I had a bottle rocket taped to my behind. I landed hard.

I hate scooters. I hate scooters worse than I hate three-wheelers.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I agree with extrememoto.

I'd rather have the kids riding around on their 20 MPH scooters than out causing real trouble.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I just wish I could have had one when I was a kid. Sure beats closepins and playing cards for the noise.

I bought my nephew the "Ricky Carmichael CR 250" plastic motor for his bicycle. Very cool!

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I have always promoted kids and motorized whats'itz in the back yard and such.I think it is better than them doing drugs or... what do they call it now? "Gang Banging" or "Thugs" around the town and graffiti all over the place.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
texas has some fairly liberal new laws in this regard, you can ride a 40cc motorized scooter in the street, no license, no age restriction.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?amp;threadid=87666

The new Texas law provides that electric scooters and gas scooters with engines less than 40cc may be ridden on public thoroughfares provided that the speed limit does not exceed 35 mph.  No license is required but the scooters must follow the same regulations as those that apply to bicycles.  Counties and municipalities are allowed to pass there own regulations.

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
In Tulsa,, you will be ticketed for riding these electric scooters anywhere a Licensed Vehicle is allowed.  The electric scooters do not have titles, ergo, illegal in the city on all streets AND sidewalks.  They are allowed in Private Parking lots.  Several kids have received citations for riding on city streets, sidewalks, without helmets, or eye protection.  The citations included, riding an unlicensed vehicle on public roads, riding without a license(underage), riding without a helmet(underage), and riding without eye protectection, and operating a vehicle without insurance.  Seems appropriate to me.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Does anyone know what the rules are in Arkansas? My nephew wants one and has been asking me whether he needs a license or not. Keep in mind he's 9.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
In Tulsa,, you will be ticketed for riding these electric scooters anywhere a Licensed Vehicle is allowed. 
<DIV>how are these things different from bicycles ?! do bicycles require licenses<SPAN class=270140123-03122003> ? - I kind of like the Texas approach - see kids going to school on these scooter/cycle things. As long as they obey the rules/laws of the road, stick to safe bicycle paths - seems OK to me - we have no problems where I live, and there are a lot of these things around - must have something to do with bringing up responsible kids !</SPAN>

<SPAN class=270140123-03122003>These are just the toys/cycles of this generation - next they will all be Segway'ng themselves to school. I am tempted to put a weed whacker engine on my kids bicycle - something I always wanted to do as a kid, but couldn't because it was against the law.</SPAN></DIV>

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Dont know, the Tulsa thing sounds harsh. That anything without a title is illegal. Here it is a matter of defining "motor vehicle". Under 50cc and in most cases, it is not a motor vehicle in Maryland. Like a moped.

They were supposed to ban the use of them a year ago or so, but I see them all the time.You now the story. They got popular, kids became annoying, the news gets a hold of it, and BAM, theres a law against them. Not enforced that I see.

Doesnt bother me personally, but I think they are idiots for running by, down the street, front end wobbling, t shirt and no helmet.
WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Even in my days of "illegal" riding, I would wear a helmet.

I bought my children an electric model last year, and they have a blast on it! its quiet, and has air filled big rubber tires. It gets thru the grass just fine, and thats where they ride it. NOt allowed in the street at all.
And yes, they wear their bike helmets. It only goes 8 mph, but I ordered a 24 v model for Xmas this year that goes 15mph, and has a 220lb weight limit. They are gonna love that one!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
In the Bay Area, NoCal the laws are more flexible than in the past. Anything with a motor was illegal 25-30 years ago. I know, I tried! The only problem I have with these scooters is that there are so many kids rippin' down the street with no helmet and in just shorts and a t-shirt on. Asphalt and skin don't mix. Rules of the road are seldom followed either, creating numerous hazards. I've almost taken out one or two by not seeing them pulling out of the driveway. I guess with age comes caution. Damn, I wish we had these once upon a time!

Top Bottom