Mounting ATK Bike Shoes in a van

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I’ve finally closed the deal on my new bike hauler. It’s a 98 E-150 cargo van with the V6 engine, a nice CD/stereo, and the ford factory cargo liner. I want to mount two ATK bike shoes in it such a way that they are easily removable if I need the entire floor space for hauling something else and I want to minimize the number of holes I need to drill in the van floor. I’m looking for suggestions and/or sources of anchor hardware that installs flush with the floor.

One if the things I was thinking about: Pingel makes a kind of a flush mount bracket for their removable wheel chocks. Has anyone had any success in adapting this for a bike shoe?

I suppose I could put everything on a board, but I want a secure attachement so that in the event of a traffic accident (knock on wood…) the bikes will not come flying forward.

Any suggestions/experience appreciated.

Last edited:

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
Dont know if its worth the work but ever see how they mount captains chairs in a conversion van?
Quarter turn locking plate. the one base plate is bolted to the floor and the ATK show would be mounted on the top plate. drop the top plate in the slots in the base. Quarter turn and the pin locks the unit, would be a 20 second swap. This would take some reworking the top plate to mount the shoe to it.

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
I just ordered an ATK Bike Shoe and a Pingel installation kit (removeable) to mount in my box van. When I get the stuff, I'll post an update

Ed

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
MRRMX, Where would I find the quarter turn locking plates you’re talking about?

Ed, The Pingel kit appears to rely on a circular pin or stud on the bottom of the chock to slot into the flush mounted plates. I didn’t think the Bike Shoe had anything like that. How were you planning on making the Bike Shoe fit the Pingel plate?

Thanks.

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
I just ordered the parts, not knowing what might or might not work. I figured for $20 bucks, it would be worth a shot. n I wanted a removable bike shoe if at all possible.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I used 3- 1/2 X 1 1/2 grade 5 hex bolts. Machined the head to a thickness of 1/8. Then drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 thread thru the center.

Using the orignal ATK mounting holes as a template I drilled the floor for the 1/2 bolts to go through. Used fender washers top and bottom, and a nylock nut.

To install the ATK place on top of the 1/2 bolts. Insert the 1/4" bolts tighten done.

To remove and replace the shoe takes about 3 minutes, and leaves your floor almost flat. :thumb:

You can leave the bolts their original thickness if you cut 3 holes in a 3/8plywood. The plywood will then be sandwiched between the shoe and van floor.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I used 5/16" carriage bolts(round head with square shoulder under the head). I double nutted them at the top and use these as the pins for the pigle mounts. I actually made my own mounts and the used 3 lag screws to mount the mounts. Works great. Another try was I bolted a 1/4 thick by 1" wide strip the the florr and drilled and tapped it 1/4 x20. I screw the bike shoe doown and then remove it when not need. It takes a few minutes longer thn the pingel sytems but it is clean and quick

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by BRush
MRRMX, Where would I find the quarter turn locking plates you’re talking about?

Ed, The Pingel kit appears to rely on a circular pin or stud on the bottom of the chock to slot into the flush mounted plates. I didn’t think the Bike Shoe had anything like that. How were you planning on making the Bike Shoe fit the Pingel plate?

Thanks.
I would try a parts yard. look over the conversion vans rear captains chairs. both plates ate bolted on to the seat and to the floor.
I would pay more than 15.00 for them.

Top Bottom