Move from 4-stroke to 2 stroke?

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
G'day All,

I am contemplating a move from a 4-stroke back to a 2-stroke. At the moment I am riding a '99 YZ400F at C-grade level but find it a bear to get around the track at times and have been thinking about upgrading to a later model 4-stroke (CRF450, YZ450F) or a 2-stroke.

Has anyone made the switch back? Are the current 4-strokes so much better than the earlier ones that I shouldn't even be considering a 2-stroke?

Any opinions and/or experiences would be appreciated (but I'd rather avoid a 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke war of words).

TIA.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I switched this fall from an '02 400 MXC, to an '04 300 MXC. I was worried about going from 4 stroke to 2 stroke when I purchased the bike. I have had it for a couple of months and am putting the 400 up for sale. The 300 does everything the 400 did and a lot more. The bike produces awesome low end, is 20 lbs lighter, and you do feel every pound. It is much easier to maneuver, I feel a lot more confident on the 300 and as a result believe that I am much faster on it then I was the 400. IMHO go with the 2 stroke.

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
Right now your riding a yz400f which puts you in the 250 calss. So your stuck buying a 250 2-stroke or a 450 4-stroke. I have had a 98 cr250, 99 cr250 and a 03crf450. My 98 ws by far the better of the 2-strokes. Yes I agree IMHO that you feel every pound, but the new 4-strokes make up for that in different ways. My crf feels better in the air, better manners. Once you get used to the small amount of engine braking, and the differnece in power delivery you will be amazed! I sugest you try and find someone with a current 450, crf, yzf or the ktm 450sx. Before you buya new one, I would try one of these, I think you will be amazed at the difference between your 4-stroke and the new ones.

Ryan.

Ya know though, nothing smells as good as pre-mix !!!!! :laugh:

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
OK, thats easy. Test ride you friends 250 two stroke to see which one suits you. The KX and RM makes the best low to mid end power. The CR and YZ are top end screamers. You only need a 4 stroke if you absolutly love them or you want to ride trails and MX. You will save money all over the place with the 2 stroke buying new or used. Make sure to get info on you bike when you buy used though and always test ride(or atleast run it) to see if its complete crap or not.

Top Bottom