Never2Old

Nov 30, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I am from PA in the Philadelphia area and am interviewing for a job in Houston - Cypress to be exact. Can you tell me if there is dirt bike trail riding within 2-3 hours of Houston?

I love the sport and have some great guys to ride with around here. I'd hate to have to give it up.

Thanks, Rob

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Not to sure of the Houston area but I myself just made the trip out west from Lower Bucks County as well, only I came to Mesa, AZ. Just on the ride out there was way more areas to ride out this side of the country. I'm sure there is plenty of spots for you. Where at in Lower Bucks you from? I lived in Holland if you know where thats at?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Houston wouldn't be my first choice for good riding nearby, but there are some options. The Sam Houston National Forest around New Waverly has some decent trails, mostly flat and sandy through the trees, with lots of roots. It's best when damp. There are some places to ride in Louisiana and around Austin, but the best stuff is a bit of a long drive away. Brock Creek near Jerusalem, Arkansas, is good, and there is a lot of great riding north of Dallas -- Red River (a.k.a. Muenster), Cross Bar in Davis, Okla., and the Kiamichi Mountains around Talihina, Okla.

Never2Old

Nov 30, 2006
sick 96 250 said:
Not to sure of the Houston area but I myself just made the trip out west from Lower Bucks County as well, only I came to Mesa, AZ. Just on the ride out there was way more areas to ride out this side of the country. I'm sure there is plenty of spots for you. Where at in Lower Bucks you from? I lived in Holland if you know where thats at?

I'm from Yardley, PA which has a Holland right by. Is that your old area? I saw you posting on the NE chapter pages. I just went to their "Spring" ride in June and rode on Friday w/ Dave and Gordon who I believe know you.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
There are some great MX tracks around Houston. Also several off road racing organizations close that lease land and race. There are always plenty of classes to accomodate every skill level rider.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Never2Old said:
I'm from Yardley, PA which has a Holland right by. Is that your old area? I saw you posting on the NE chapter pages. I just went to their "Spring" ride in June and rode on Friday w/ Dave and Gordon who I believe know you.
yup thats where I use to live. I had already moved out here before the spring ride but I normally attended them when I was still in the area. Good group of guys to ride with out that way, it never got boring to say the least.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
TPWD has earmarked quite a few dollars for the National Forests in East Texas.

The Route Designation Workshop stickied at the top of the forum is all about opening up more opportunities in East Texas. At the present time there is only Sam Houston.

The workshop focuses on Angelina, but other opportunities will be discussed. There is a great area near Leesville Louisiana and as Seldon indicated Barnwell Mountain is near Gilmer.

Check out the Trail Riders of Houston website for some local people there in the Houston area. They are a VERY active group.

There are a large number of tracks nearby as well.

Never2Old

Nov 30, 2006
Thanks guys. I fly down to interview next Thurs. Does the Sam Houston park require being registered, tagged, insured, etc? Right now my bike is just a straight dirt bike.

Rob

Top Bottom