Moving from Street bikes to a trail bike..please help, thanks

BC_Dan

Jun 26, 2006
After riding street bikes for over 16 years, I finally wanted to get a trail bike for a change of things. I don't mean to ask the same question that has been asked 100 times but I do have some specific questions. I would really appreciate any help I can get on the topic.

First off....I'm 34yrs, 5'10" and 180 lbs (very athletic). According to friends, we have some of the best trails in Canada right in my back yard. I have been using my mountain bike a lot over the years.

I had biks such as a 750 enduro, 650 KLR, and all sorts of street bikes (CBR, R6, GSXR, etc). But when it comes to dirt bikes, I never even sat on one.

I have a Yamaha dealer 5 minuts from home (bought my R6 there and am very happy with...so Yamaha would be nice). Also have a Honda dealership about 15 min from home. Kawasaki and Suzuki are a bit longer to get to.

I like to do my own stuff to a degree....not gonna rebuild an engine though :)

I'm looking for a bike I can take on trails. I'm not looking for a track bike. Also, I'd like to go out throughout the year in all sort of weather (if that makes a difference).

I have been reading a bit online about bikes and it isn't as easy as I had hoped. Here are some of the bikes I was looking at.

Honda CRF230F
Good: Seems to be a good starter bike and will allow me to grow into it.
Bad: I might be a bit too big for the bike. I really don't want to buy this bike and get board with it in 2 months. (have been riding street bikes for a very long time)

Honda CRF250X
Might be too much to start and is not cheap.

Yamaha WR250F
Same as the CRF250X.

The reason I picked the CRF250X and the WR250F are that they have lights which might come in handy. However, like I said....any input in what might be better choices would be extremely welcome!

thx
dan

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
If you're pretty sure you won't be riding MX, then I'd go with the CRF250X (because I like Honda) or the the WR250F. I have the CRF250F and it's a blast. I've ridden the 250x before also and its a little less agressive (If you're worried about the 230F not being enough bike then, cost aside, go with the 250X). The 250F maybe o.k. for you though and it is a few hundred dollars cheaper (no lights and no electric start). I don't ride mine in trails (pretty much MX only) but friends who do say its fine there too.

Best thing you could do is ride a couple if possible.

Top Bottom