Moving the forks in triple clamps.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
I have a quick question.
Does lowering (or raising) the forks in the triple clamps make it easier to turn sharp? If it does, does it make it less stable at higher speed?
Thanks.

swingarm

Aug 15, 2002
I have an easier way of changing the fork angel in turns. While going through a turn lightly drag the front brake. This will compress the forks and steepen the steering angle. And it does not alter the handling the rest of the time. Just take your time getting the feel for this. It really does work.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You can experiment with fork tube height until you find a good compromise between straight-line handling and cornering. I’d try 1 /2 inch increments until you find an area you like and go between the two spots until you find the perfect spot.

Swingarm, I like your theory and will have to give it a try. I can see how it would help to preload the springs.

Gary

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
After some experimentation, my own preferred position is to have the top of the fork tubes (not including the screw-in cap) flush with the top of the triple clamp. The front brake trick works ok in good traction, but is iffy in marginal traction situations where it can cause the front tire to push out.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The answer to your question is yes, the bike will turn quicker but will be less stable at speed.

I can't remember if Ozzy installed heavier rate springs in your KDX before you bought it or not. It would certainly be something to think about if he didn’t as it drastically improves the way the bike handles.

If you're working on improving cornering do play with fork height but don't forget to experiment with shock preload. Try leaving the forks at their stock height and reduce the sag to 95, 90 and 85mm and check the effect. You'll see that more weight is transferred to the front of the bike allowing the forks to decent further into their stroke and thus turn faster in corners.

David

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
I'm not sure if he installed heavier springs or not, I emailed him about it a couple months ago but he hasn't written back since. I was planning on getting heavier springs in the spring anyways.
Do you mean change the sag on the fork or shock? I know how to set race sag on the shock but not on the forks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…