rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
I've been in San Diego for the last 4 years and have had a great time riding. I'll probably be moving to the Austin Texas area in about 6 months and was wondering if there are any good places to freeride out there? I'd also like any info on tracks that might be close. Just hoping the move won't mean my bike has to spend more time in the garage.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
The city of Austin has a park that you can ride in, but from what I understand it is mostly used by trials riders. DougRoost, Green Horn, and Patman are in the local area there and can provide you will a great deal of local information.

Check out the North Texas Smack Pack forum for opportunities to hook up with the DFW bunch. The metromess is about 180 miles north and there is an active group of trail riders and a pretty active group of MX guys.

Jeff Gilbert is about half way between Austin and the DFW area and can usually be found at Lake Whitney burning laps. He can probably tell you about local tracks down that way.

Welcome to Texas and now that you are here you need to clear the decks in early October next year and come to DirtWeek. :yeehaw:

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Well, we don't have a desert nearby so the free-riding potential in Texas is just not like California. On the other hand, we do have a plethora of excellent tracks. Austin has several local tracks which I hear are pretty good. About an hour outside of Austin is Cycle Ranch (http://www.cycleranchmx.com/index.htm) which is considered one of the very best tracks in Texas. About an hour the other way is Lake Whitney MX, (http://www.lakewhitneymx.com/), which has an equally awesome reputation. You know, I don't think anything compares to California in terms of riding areas. On the other hand, from a demographics standpoint, in terms of number of MXr's, I understand Texas to be #2 only to California. So there are plenty of riding areas here. Your bike should get plenty of exercise here. Good luck.

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
Thanks a lot for the info. I was born in Texas, but only rode a little bit when I was there. Mostly someone's backyard or the woods around my house. When I was there I thought 5 ft was a long way off the ground.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
rjl250 said:
When I was there I thought 5 ft was a long way off the ground.

Five feet is just fine of you are talking helmets and WAY too much if you are talking about the bottom of your tires. :yikes:

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
Sorry to see ya go.Ive been to alot of places and so cal is the place to be,just ask 70% of pro ama supercross riders.We will miss ya.Them Austin summers are real nice.haha :nener:

Top Bottom